Sega Saturn Vs Sony Playstation 1

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
outdated_gamer
Posts: 2599
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:14 pm

Re: Sega Saturn Vs Sony Playstation 1

Post by outdated_gamer » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:06 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:It really is small, just look at the pictures.

Tech specs don't matter, its what tbe average player sees that counts. In this case, a slightly lessblockyplayer with some nice textures.
You have to see them in motion to really see the difference:

VF1

VF2

VF3

(VF4 & VF5)


The difference in hardware was pretty big too. For example the Model 2 used five floating point units (aka GPUs/3D accelerators) and the Model 3 used two Real3D 1000 graphics/3D chips which were unmatched by home hardware all the way till the likes of the Nvidia GeForce 256 came out.

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26962
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: Sega Saturn Vs Sony Playstation 1

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:03 pm

:lol:

Those videos make them look even worse! Its like a slightly prettier skin on the same old animations.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
Nemesis
Posts: 1967
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:55 am
Location: Norwich, UK

Re: Sega Saturn Vs Sony Playstation 1

Post by Nemesis » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:13 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:
Eh, I don't think there's that much of a difference between RR Arcade and RR PS. Main difference was the higher resolution and 60 fps but, as the comment bellow yours said, RR: Type 4 on the PS featured a bonus disc with an Arcade-perfect port of the first RR.

I think it's safe to say we just don't see leaps like that anymore, despite modern games being a lot more technically advanced.
There's a big resolution difference between the Arcade and PS version of RR. Play the original arcade game and you'll see it. Almost a generation difference IMO & no, the bonus disc did not contain an arcade perfect port of RR because there were only two cars on screen at any time due to hardware constraints.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

User avatar
outdated_gamer
Posts: 2599
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:14 pm

Re: Sega Saturn Vs Sony Playstation 1

Post by outdated_gamer » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:04 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote::lol:

Those videos make them look even worse! Its like a slightly prettier skin on the same old animations.
Eh, whatever. I know I would have been blown away if I saw them when they came out. :wink:

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26962
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: Sega Saturn Vs Sony Playstation 1

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:17 pm

I remember thinking 'it's pretty, but it's still Virtua Fighter' ;)

Never much liked the series.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
outdated_gamer
Posts: 2599
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:14 pm

Re: Sega Saturn Vs Sony Playstation 1

Post by outdated_gamer » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:44 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:I remember thinking 'it's pretty, but it's still Virtua Fighter' ;)

Never much liked the series.
It's the most technical 3D fighter out there though. I probably don't exaggerate if I say it's a level above Dead or Alive and Tekken in the fighting system depth.

HEAVYface
Posts: 1114
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:48 am

Re: Sega Saturn Vs Sony Playstation 1

Post by HEAVYface » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:52 pm

Nemesis wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote:
Eh, I don't think there's that much of a difference between RR Arcade and RR PS. Main difference was the higher resolution and 60 fps but, as the comment bellow yours said, RR: Type 4 on the PS featured a bonus disc with an Arcade-perfect port of the first RR.

I think it's safe to say we just don't see leaps like that anymore, despite modern games being a lot more technically advanced.
There's a big resolution difference between the Arcade and PS version of RR. Play the original arcade game and you'll see it. Almost a generation difference IMO & no, the bonus disc did not contain an arcade perfect port of RR because there were only two cars on screen at any time due to hardware constraints.
yes - lower poly counts in the environment and the textures in the psone version are very low resolution and 16 colours each as well. the 60hz port is good however considering the hardware.

ridge racer 4 though....great game.

User avatar
koopa42
Posts: 5903
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:48 am
Location: Playing the victim apparently?

Re: Sega Saturn Vs Sony Playstation 1

Post by koopa42 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:58 pm

Getting skilled with Akira is easily as hard as any other character in ANY fighter and probably as impressive

User avatar
Sephiroth81
Posts: 4594
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:35 am

Re: Sega Saturn Vs Sony Playstation 1

Post by Sephiroth81 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:29 pm

Nemesis wrote: There's a big resolution difference between the Arcade and PS version of RR. Play the original arcade game and you'll see it. Almost a generation difference IMO & no, the bonus disc did not contain an arcade perfect port of RR because there were only two cars on screen at any time due to hardware constraints.
That was merely a demo. I'm sure had it been a proper commercial product they would have put more resources and time into it, and they could have achieved all the cars on screen at once...as another poster pointed out, R4 is a stunning game, so Ridge Racer would not have been a huge problem by that time.

The System 22 board was good though, probably somewhere in between the N64 and Dreamcast in terms of power. The fact the PS1 could achieve R4 and the Hi-res 60fps R1 demo was mighty impressive though.

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26962
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: Sega Saturn Vs Sony Playstation 1

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:54 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:I remember thinking 'it's pretty, but it's still Virtua Fighter' ;)

Never much liked the series.
It's the most technical 3D fighter out there though. I probably don't exaggerate if I say it's a level above Dead or Alive and Tekken in the fighting system depth.
I still don't like it. The boobies are nowhere near as big and bouncy as DoA.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
Nemesis
Posts: 1967
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:55 am
Location: Norwich, UK

Re: Sega Saturn Vs Sony Playstation 1

Post by Nemesis » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:54 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:
Nemesis wrote: There's a big resolution difference between the Arcade and PS version of RR. Play the original arcade game and you'll see it. Almost a generation difference IMO & no, the bonus disc did not contain an arcade perfect port of RR because there were only two cars on screen at any time due to hardware constraints.
That was merely a demo. I'm sure had it been a proper commercial product they would have put more resources and time into it, and they could have achieved all the cars on screen at once...as another poster pointed out, R4 is a stunning game, so Ridge Racer would not have been a huge problem by that time.

The System 22 board was good though, probably somewhere in between the N64 and Dreamcast in terms of power. The fact the PS1 could achieve R4 and the Hi-res 60fps R1 demo was mighty impressive though.
I disagree. The demo was a test to see whether high res graphics could be done at smooth frame rate. They could but if you look at RR4, there's never more than two other cars on screen at any one time. Usually, it's just one. That's what I didn't like about Type 4 compared to the earlier entries. It's just a procession of cars you pass one at a time. The arcade original RR had a full grid in view, that wouldn't have happened at high res on the PSone. No way at all.

From the ever reliable Wikipedia re the System 22 board which Ridge Race Arcade ran on;

Both Super System 22 and System 22 can render significantly better graphics, more polygons with sharper texture-mapping, running in higher resolution and at a higher framerate compared to the graphics capabilities of the original Sony PlayStation, the Sega Saturn and the Nintendo 64 video game systems, but much less than what the Sega Dreamcast can produce.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests