Sega Saturn Vs Sony Playstation 1

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Monkey

Re:

Post by Monkey » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:53 pm

Sega2006 wrote:When the Bloody hell did I say the Saturn was best and the PS1 was censored? I never did. I never called somone a censored because they chose the Sony unit? I dont even though I dont like it. And you give your opinion politley, you dont use it to call people names and tell them they have no Idea what they are talking about. He came up with the idea just to see what people preferred. You stand there and go on and on about how Sega Fanboys do this and that and how it makes them the worst but yet you dont see how others react who arent. In the words of the Rock or Dwaye Whatshisface as he often ikes to be know "Get outta here Monkey!"
How about this, from the first page:

"Dont give the crap about how Sony did this and that, the PS1 is in fact a large slab of grey mouldering s**t"

lol
Last edited by Monkey on Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Monkey

Re:

Post by Monkey » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:55 pm

Sega2006 wrote:I said Sony Sucked not the PS1 although I hate it with a passion :wink:
Why the hell do you hate a machine (with a passion no less) that plays games? Do you not like games or something?

Seriously mate, your talking s**t now.

Antiriad2097

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:52 pm

Monkey wrote:Why the hell do you hate a machine (with a passion no less) that plays games?
Sega2006 is our pet Sega fanboy. Its his job ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Sega2006

Re:

Post by Sega2006 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:06 pm

Monkey wrote:
Sega2006 wrote:I said Sony Sucked not the PS1 although I hate it with a passion :wink:
Why the hell do you hate a machine (with a passion no less) that plays games? Do you not like games or something?

I dont tend to be into many of the PS1's exsclusives and many games have Saturn ports. I hate year long RPG's, I hate Race sims that take half an hour to sort the car and my preferences lie in the Arcade. The Saturn has more darker graphics which are a little easier on my eyes and I didnt like the way Sony marketed the thing. I like games just not lifeless manufactured garbage that often came out on the PS1. I have had a Saturn and PS1 running side by side and in all honesty, I like the Saturn far more. I find it to load things a little faster aswell and dont come out with 'you kids today moan about loading times when they're no exsistant but back in my day it took my (insert 8-bit computer here0 20 mins' as I have a few computers and loading times dont bother me. I find my Saturn to its Job better than the PS1, give me hours of fun.
Watching you sleep since 1990

paranoid marvin

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:27 pm

Sega2006 wrote:
Monkey wrote:

I dont tend to be into many of the PS1's exsclusives and many games have Saturn ports. I hate year long RPG's, I hate Race sims that take half an hour to sort the car and my preferences lie in the Arcade. The Saturn has more darker graphics which are a little easier on my eyes and I didnt like the way Sony marketed the thing. I like games just not lifeless manufactured garbage that often came out on the PS1. I have had a Saturn and PS1 running side by side and in all honesty, I like the Saturn far more. I find it to load things a little faster aswell and dont come out with 'you kids today moan about loading times when they're no exsistant but back in my day it took my (insert 8-bit computer here0 20 mins' as I have a few computers and loading times dont bother me. I find my Saturn to its Job better than the PS1, give me hours of fun.
What it comes down to then,is that you prefer to play Sega games - and to play them , the best machine is a Saturn

As I mentioned before,I'd rather play Ridge Racer , Time Crisis , Tekken
rather than Sega Rally, Virtua Cop , Virtua Fighter , so I bought a PS1 rather than a Saturn

BUT when the DC came out ,and Sega brought out some of their classics like HOTD2 , Sega Rally 2 etc , then I chose a DC over a PS2

The machine doesn't matter,it's all about the games
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:43 am

WOW! I had no idea a debate like this would cause so much arguments! :shock:

At the end of the day, what I said was my own personal opinion on my choice of 32-bit console. I am not saying that the Sony Playstation was 100% rubbish, if it really was rubbish, it would not have had the massive success that it has. However, the Sega Saturn was a very good console that so much potential to be very successful in Europe and the US, but sadly it did not. However, in Japan it is a different story, the Sega Saturn in Japan turned out to be a very popular and successful console and was more or less on the same wavelength as the Playstation in popularity. There were so many quality japanese games on the Saturn that sadly never made it over here in the west. :cry:

I very hope much that there is no more fighting or arguing over the two consoles please, everyone has their own tastes, differences, opinions and their own reasons for it. :oops:
Last edited by yethboth on Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

felgekarp

Re:

Post by felgekarp » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:10 am

yethboth wrote:WOW! I had no idea a debate like this would cause so much arguments! :shock:

At the end of the day, what I said was my own personal opinion on my choice of 32-bit console. I am not saying that the Sony Playstation was 100% rubbish, if it really was rubbish, it would not have had the massive success that it has. However, the Sega Saturn was a very good console that so much potential to be very successful in Europe and the US, but sadly it did not. However, in Japan it is a different story, the Sega Saturn in Japan turned out to be a very popular and successful console and was more or less on the same wavelength as the Playstation in popularity. There were so many quality japanese games on the Saturn that sadly never made it over here in the west. :cry:

I very hope much that there is no more fighting or arguing over the two consoles please, everyone has their own tastes, differences and their own reasons for it. :oops:
Make sure your next topic is one about the Spectrum being better than the Amstrad.
Splink!

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:51 am

Oh dear, if I mentioned that in my next topic, the arguments in that would be too monstrous to contemplate. :shock: :cry:

Antiriad2097

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:33 pm

felgekarp wrote:Make sure your next topic is one about the Spectrum being better than the Amstrad.
Is stating the obvious really going to cause much debate?
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

James Bond

Post by James Bond » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:41 pm

I rate both consoles (though I was never that much of a fan of the PS1 when I owned one, it's only after I got rid some cracking games came out).

As much as I love the Saturn, I think the Playstation edges it, simply because it has a whole lot more better games (I'm not into any of these overpriced jap shooters).

felgekarp

Re:

Post by felgekarp » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:40 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
felgekarp wrote:Make sure your next topic is one about the Spectrum being better than the Amstrad.
Not amongst the smart clued up people.
Splink!

will2097

Re:

Post by will2097 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:21 pm

felgekarp wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:
Not amongst the smart clued up people.
And the hordes of 'Wrong' people :wink:

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:03 am

hey this is retro gamer forum - last bastion of all things 2d and spritely - surely you've all done your research and looked at the saturns frankly incredible japanese catalogue of mostly 2d software and binned your playstations? (i realise there are quite a few 2d psone games too, but read the capitilisation below, it doesn't apply to psone)

There are so many ARCADE PERFECT translations on the saturn of 2d fighters and shooters from the likes of snk, capcom and even konami. i'm not going to make a list but compare and contrast xmen v street fighter on the formats or saturn metal slug v psone metal slug x and apply results all over the each machines back catalogue. saturn wins.

if you want ropey looking 3d games choose either the psone or saturn - theres not much between them. you want 2d, you want a saturn.
oh and the pack-in saturn joypad is aces too.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:44 am

That's the problem face. Saturn was a 2D system in an era of 3D gaming. Arcade 'perfect' ports aren't such a big issue any more with the advent of MAME. There's no great need to find a system for ports of those games when we can play the originals in all their glory without reduced animation and extended load times etc.

PS1 was designed for 3D, it did it better and was rewarded with a wide range of games. So much experimentation with the new form, it can't be ignored.

And the PS1 was primarily in English. Mo point having great games if they aren't released...

HEAVYface

Re:

Post by HEAVYface » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:51 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:That's the problem face. Saturn was a 2D system in an era of 3D gaming. Arcade 'perfect' ports aren't such a big issue any more with the advent of MAME.

yep i can see your point, but in '98 / '99 mame wasn't as good (or around?) as it is now. tbh i hate playing games on my pc anyway, i'd rather play sitting on the couch in front of my large telly...

There's no great need to find a system for ports of those games when we can play the originals in all their glory without reduced animation and extended load times etc.

The point i was (perhaps ineffectually) making is that a lot of saturn ports don't have missing animation, and in a couple of cases zero loading times (after initial boot up). shazaaam! psone can't do that.

PS1 was designed for 3D, it did it better and was rewarded with a wide range of games. So much experimentation with the new form, it can't be ignored.

'tis true, but its 3d is crude and only a small step up on the saturns (check out videos of the saturn version of shenmue to see where 3d on the system was headed). i don't know about the experimentation part though - you'd have to work harder to convince me of that. all i see on psone is (3d) fighting and driving games with a couple of token platformers.

And the PS1 was primarily in English. Mo point having great games if they aren't released...
yep if the aurgument is going euro centric and 3d, psone wins on shear volume of different stuff available.

jap saturn for me though....