Sega Saturn Vs Sony Playstation 1

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
Smurph
Posts: 2905
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:18 pm
Location: Co. Antrim
Contact:

Re:

Post by Smurph » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:59 am

will2097 wrote:You could play the Need for Speed on the 3DO with Analogue flight stick in 1994. The PC definately has analogue sticks yonks before anything else.
Gaaaaah!!!

Analogue sticks have been about since the 70's! The Vectrex is about the best early example, so enough of this balls about Sony vs Nintendo vs Sega vs PC. All they did was re-introduce the technology.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

Utini
Posts: 811
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 5:33 pm
Location: The Kessel System

Re:

Post by Utini » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:23 am

Smurph wrote:
will2097 wrote:You could play the Need for Speed on the 3DO with Analogue flight stick in 1994. The PC definately has analogue sticks yonks before anything else.
Gaaaaah!!!

Analogue sticks have been about since the 70's! The Vectrex is about the best early example, so enough of this balls about Sony vs Nintendo vs Sega vs PC. All they did was re-introduce the technology.
And the Wright Brothers had analouge controllers well before that!
Hey, Sweden!
They're not Swedish Mac, they're Norwegian!

User avatar
Sega2006
Posts: 6381
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:29 pm
Location: Stevenage

Post by Sega2006 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:26 am

The Atari 5200 uses analouge aparently aswell, too bad it flopped from p1ss porr reliability in its controles and other Hardware
Watching you sleep since 1990

User avatar
bolda
Posts: 1128
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:53 am
Location: World 1-1

Post by bolda » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:39 am

Hang on a cotton-picking minute, I only mentioned analogue sticks within the scope if this thread topic - i.e. the PS1 quickly adopted analogue sticks as its standard controller, whereas the Saturn analogue controller was only released on a limited basis. I wasn't making claims as to who was the first party to introduce them into video game systems! :?

Analogue controllers have been around since the \"paddles\" on Pong and the trackball on Missile Command. In my opinion, that is THE only way to play pong... with a fist full of pot! :D
GAME OVER YEEEAAAHHH!
ImageImageImage

Monkey
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:04 am

Re:

Post by Monkey » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:28 pm

yethboth wrote:Remember 'Quake'? Did you know this game got released on the Sega Saturn but NEVER on the Playstation 1? The Reason? It was because the Playstation 1 could not handle the graphics while the Saturn could. :D
Quake II was realeased on the Playstation and looked far better than Quake on Saturn.
yethboth wrote:The Sega Saturn is in many ways more powerful than the Playstation, e.g. The Saturn is the most powerful 2D console to date, more powerful than the Neo Geo. :o
No it isn't. Ever heard of a PS2, Xbox, 360, Gamecube? If it was more powerful than the Neo why did it need ram carts just to keep up?
yethboth wrote:What does everyone else think? I would like to hear everyone else's opinions please? :)
I think your just another Sega fanboy who doesn't know what the hell he's talking about.
Sega2006 wrote:The PS1 had a boreing sh1tty grey screen, and no VCD playback either.
The Playstation had a VCD cartridge to attach to the back of the machine to enable VCD layback just like the Saturn did. Sony even released a special VCD Playstation in China. Seriously, get your facts straight before posting this s**t.
Sega2006 wrote:The PS1 was just a Games system, the Saturn was a full Home intertainment system crammed into one little box.
So that means the PS2 was better than the Dreamcast?


Sega fanboys are the worst kind.

User avatar
Danny
Posts: 150
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:57 am
Location: Owermongie, England
Contact:

Re: Sega Saturn Vs Sony Playstation 1

Post by Danny » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:14 pm

yethboth wrote: The Sega Saturn is in many ways more powerful than the Playstation, e.g. The Saturn is the most powerful 2D console to date, more powerful than the Neo Geo. :o

As well as this Saturn had a Cartridge slot which was used for 'King Of Fighters 95' to insert a Megabyte Cartridge for even faster speed and better gameplay, making this even better than the Arcade Version! :D
Wow two really quite stupid comments there. For a start I would be highly suprised if the Saturn and the PSX were not more powerful considering the hardware for the Neo Geo was released on 1989 and the Saturn in 1994 and the PSX in 1995 (I think) so that's a good 5 to 6 years year differance.

Secondly the Saturn version of KOF '95 was not faster than the Neo Geo version. In fact the reason why the Sega Saturn version needed the ram was for the extra animation and not for speed. Notice that the Neo Geo did not need such upgrades to play King of the Fighters games.

Saying that I own a Neo Geo, Saturn and PSX and I have a huge amount of respect for all three systems. But even though the Saturn has some of my favourate games of all time (deathtank, graudian heroes, dragon force, panza dragoon saga, saturn bomberman, shining force 3) on it the PSX was a better console overall as it had a lot more quality choice when it comes down to the three genders of games I care about which are Fighting (better 3D fighting games while 2D games were also very good ports although the saturn wins the 2D debate thanks to it's ablity to play the Capcom Vs. titles), Shoot-em-up's (most of cave's ports on this system were better sorry!), Puzzle games and RPG's (final fantasy, breath of fire, suidoken, front mission, vandal hearts...).

p.s: I guess looking at my favourates I like the saturn for it's unique multiplayer games and off beat RPG's.

User avatar
Sega2006
Posts: 6381
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:29 pm
Location: Stevenage

Re:

Post by Sega2006 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:27 pm

Monkey wrote:
yethboth wrote:Remember 'Quake'? Did you know this game got released on the Sega Saturn but NEVER on the Playstation 1? The Reason? It was because the Playstation 1 could not handle the graphics while the Saturn could. :D
Quake II was realeased on the Playstation and looked far better than Quake on Saturn.
yethboth wrote:The Sega Saturn is in many ways more powerful than the Playstation, e.g. The Saturn is the most powerful 2D console to date, more powerful than the Neo Geo. :o
No it isn't. Ever heard of a PS2, Xbox, 360, Gamecube? If it was more powerful than the Neo why did it need ram carts just to keep up?
yethboth wrote:What does everyone else think? I would like to hear everyone else's opinions please? :)
I think your just another Sega fanboy who doesn't know what the hell he's talking about.
Sega2006 wrote:The PS1 had a boreing sh1tty grey screen, and no VCD playback either.
The Playstation had a VCD cartridge to attach to the back of the machine to enable VCD layback just like the Saturn did. Sony even released a special VCD Playstation in China. Seriously, get your facts straight before posting this s**t.
Sega2006 wrote:The PS1 was just a Games system, the Saturn was a full Home intertainment system crammed into one little box.
So that means the PS2 was better than the Dreamcast?


Sega fanboys are the worst kind.
Are you hell bent on pissing off a chunck of the forum? Because if you are you are doing one hell of a Job.

1. Quake 2 is going to look better than Quake 1 as its a bloody sequel, not the same flipping game.

2. He was referring to when the Saturn was realesed pillock. Ever wondered why the Neo Geo used massive carts? They contain the ram needed to the run the games smoothly, you cant fit Ram carts to a CD so they have to use seperate carts.

3.He was asking opinions, people are intitled to there own opinions. In being rude to him the the way you are, you are breaking the AUP, somthing you should have a good read of.

4.Ill give you that one, I was going on the Basis of them never being in the shops or appearing on Ebay, but seriously there is no need to an
Arsehole about it.

5.I dont really give a censored about the PS2 and Dreamcast, this is a thread comparing peoples views on the Saturn and PS1, if dont like it make your own bloody thread.

6. Sega Fanboys are the worst?? Do you catch me insulting people about their choice in console? Do I stand there and tell people what is good and what is not? The Answer is no I dont and the Same can be said for many others who like Sega. You are telling people how things should be, you are being rude to people about their choice of machine. You are the worst Fanboy and you appear to be a sony Fanboy. If you dont like it then get lost we have no time for people like you.
Watching you sleep since 1990

User avatar
rossi46
Posts: 4412
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:14 pm
Location: melrose
Contact:

Re:

Post by rossi46 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:31 pm

Monkey wrote: Sega fanboys are the worst kind.
That's not true and you know it.

The very fact that we're all sitting on the internet arguing about which ten year old conslole was better than another, makes all as bad as each other.

The phrase 'get a life' immediately springs to mind, quickly followed by 'who gives a censored'
Thoughts and prayers.

User avatar
SirClive
Posts: 20261
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:25 pm
Location: Planet Sinclair
Contact:

Re:

Post by SirClive » Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:58 pm

Monkey wrote:Sega fanboys are the worst kind.
Is this the time for me to make a crack about Amstrad owners to diffuse the situation :wink:
Image

User avatar
Dudley
Posts: 8712
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:53 pm
Contact:

Post by Dudley » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:03 pm

1. Quake 2 is going to look better than Quake 1 as its a bloody sequel, not the same flipping game.
Yes but its very appearence on PSX does disprove the \"Playstation couldn't do Quake\" theory, which is the only reason I originally brought it up.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Monkey
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:04 am

Re:

Post by Monkey » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:26 pm

Sega2006 wrote:Are you hell bent on pissing off a chunck of the forum? Because if you are you are doing one hell of a Job.

1. Quake 2 is going to look better than Quake 1 as its a bloody sequel, not the same flipping game.

2. He was referring to when the Saturn was realesed pillock. Ever wondered why the Neo Geo used massive carts? They contain the ram needed to the run the games smoothly, you cant fit Ram carts to a CD so they have to use seperate carts.

3.He was asking opinions, people are intitled to there own opinions. In being rude to him the the way you are, you are breaking the AUP, somthing you should have a good read of.

4.Ill give you that one, I was going on the Basis of them never being in the shops or appearing on Ebay, but seriously there is no need to an
Arsehole about it.

5.I dont really give a censored about the PS2 and Dreamcast, this is a thread comparing peoples views on the Saturn and PS1, if dont like it make your own bloody thread.

6. Sega Fanboys are the worst?? Do you catch me insulting people about their choice in console? Do I stand there and tell people what is good and what is not? The Answer is no I dont and the Same can be said for many others who like Sega. You are telling people how things should be, you are being rude to people about their choice of machine. You are the worst Fanboy and you appear to be a sony Fanboy. If you dont like it then get lost we have no time for people like you.
I don't think i'm pissing the forum off at all. I never said Sega or the Saturn was s**t (I love both btw). It's people like you that say the Playstation is s**t at this and that and that the Saturn is better in every way, which quite fnankly is a load of bollocks.

1. See dudley's post.

2. If he was reffering to when it was released he should've wrote that. It's not my fault he worded it wrongly.

3. He was asking for an opinion, he got mine. If insulting people is against the rules then I think you need a look at them too :wink: I'm not the one calling people pillocks and arseholes.

5. Yes the topic is about the Saturn and Playstation, but does that mean I can't ask any other questions?

6. "Do you catch me insulting people about their choice in console?" Did you catch ME insulting people about thier choice of machine? No.

Yes Sega fanboys are the worst because they just come up with a load of s**t to try and prove their piont, which you have clearly shown.

"If you dont like it then get lost we have no time for people like you"

I think it's people like you who ruin forums like this. I really is pathetic saying Saturn is the best and the Playstation is s**t, especially when all your facts are wrong. How about some interesting debate about the pros and cons of EACH console?

Utini
Posts: 811
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 5:33 pm
Location: The Kessel System

Post by Utini » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:32 pm

What is remarkable about the Saturn is that Sega designed it as a 2D power house, and then rushed to incorporate 3D, when it was Sega themselves who were at the very forefront of cutting edge 3D arcade games!

I guess that's what a company at odds with itself does.
Hey, Sweden!
They're not Swedish Mac, they're Norwegian!

User avatar
Sega2006
Posts: 6381
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:29 pm
Location: Stevenage

Post by Sega2006 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:46 pm

When the Bloody hell did I say the Saturn was best and the PS1 was censored? I never did. I never called somone a censored because they chose the Sony unit? I dont even though I dont like it. And you give your opinion politley, you dont use it to call people names and tell them they have no Idea what they are talking about. He came up with the idea just to see what people preferred. You stand there and go on and on about how Sega Fanboys do this and that and how it makes them the worst but yet you dont see how others react who arent. In the words of the Rock or Dwaye Whatshisface as he often ikes to be know \"Get outta here Monkey!\"
Watching you sleep since 1990

User avatar
SirClive
Posts: 20261
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:25 pm
Location: Planet Sinclair
Contact:

Re:

Post by SirClive » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:48 pm

Sega2006 wrote:When the Bloody hell did I say the Saturn was best and the PS1 was censored? I never did.
:shock:

You say that all the time :lol: It was your signature for a while :wink:
Image

User avatar
Sega2006
Posts: 6381
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:29 pm
Location: Stevenage

Post by Sega2006 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:49 pm

I said Sony Sucked not the PS1 although I hate it with a passion :wink:
Watching you sleep since 1990

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest