Sega Saturn Vs Sony Playstation 1

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

annalarke

Re: Sega Saturn Vs Sony Playstation 1

Post by annalarke » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:31 pm

That is quite right. We never saw that bug ever because of that very reason.

:/

Anna
x

annalarke

Post by annalarke » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:42 pm

The Croc Saturn bug that is.

eastcoasteric

Post by eastcoasteric » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:43 pm

nice uh...red top.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:50 am

Bump >:)

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:46 am

...i hate you now ;)
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:07 pm

Reading the first ten pages of this thread is hilarious. Amazing how years on so many gamers can be so blinkered and frankly stupid as to hate a console. Fanboyism at its more insane.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:44 pm

Fanboyism has long been a curse of internet forums (game realted or otherwise).

Some people seem to feel an instinctive need to define themselves by what brands they fill their life with.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:38 pm

The thing's killing this hobby for most people is a combination of:

Blind Fanboi-ism.
Fanatical IP Loyalty.
Buyers Remorse.

The last one is usually manifested as a complete inability to hear anything wrong about your purchase. Even going to enormous lengths to try to convince everyone else why your purchase was a "brilliant" one, even though you actually know it wasn't.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:46 pm

gmintyfresh wrote:Bump >:)
Any reason you dug up this fossil?! This was the era where I had a gaming hiatus so have little opinion on either system, I liked Doom, Ridge Racer, Crash Bandicoot and the like a bit more so I guess I prefer the PS1.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:01 am

sscott wrote:
gmintyfresh wrote:Bump >:)
Any reason you dug up this fossil?! This was the era where I had a gaming hiatus so have little opinion on either system, I liked Doom, Ridge Racer, Crash Bandicoot and the like a bit more so I guess I prefer the PS1.
I wanted to see a really big arguement!! ;)

Actually I had a PS1 from release and never even looked at getting a Saturn till about 7 or 8 years ago, as you know mate I've been buying Saturn shooters since then and have been really thinking it was a shame the Saturn didn't do a bit better in the UK. I suppose I've been a bit dismissive of the PS1 but recently I've been picking up some great games for system at dirt cheap prices. In a way I've disragared both consoles in the past and quite wrongfully so!

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:41 am

learnedrobb wrote:Fanboyism has long been a curse of internet forums (game realted or otherwise).

Some people seem to feel an instinctive need to define themselves by what brands they fill their life with.
I think it's more to do with the fact that most people can only afford to buy or own one console per generation; 'fanboyism' is their way of trying to convince themselves and others that they made the right choice. The last thing they want is to feel that they made the wrong choice and wasted their money!

I think it's even more prevalent this generation because the consoles are much more expensive than they used to be, so there's even less chance of someone (particularly kids and teenagers) being able to own more than one. People want to justify their large investment.

I guess this can apply to other things too, not just games; anything in which a consumer has to make a choice between two or more competing products.
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:20 am

che_don_john wrote: I think it's even more prevalent this generation because the consoles are much more expensive than they used to be
I think games and consoles are no more expensive than they used to be (and almost certainly less so), Atari ST games were £20 and the machine £300 in the 1980s, some N64 games were £60 in the 90s...

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:23 am

sscott wrote:
che_don_john wrote: I think it's even more prevalent this generation because the consoles are much more expensive than they used to be
I think games and consoles are no more expensive than they used to be (and almost certainly less so), Atari ST games were £20 and the machine £300 in the 1980s, some N64 games were £60 in the 90s...
Correct - and they were prices AT THE TIME. Today, an Atari ST is equivalent to something like £700! £40 NES games are equivalent prices today about £65!

Gaming is cheap these days, if you play the game that is i.e. don't buy on release.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:38 am

Indeed, indeed! It's rare to pay more than £20 per game for most of these current systems, what with wonderful things like pre-owned games.

I remember being in Woolworth's when the N64 was first out, and seeing £70 stickers on the games.
Even Sonic 3 cost us £55 new! Yes, these are nice, cheap times for gaming.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:48 am

I was thinking that the other day too, just how cheap gaming is these days. If you are willing to be a few years behind it is one of the cheapest forms of entertainment I'd think. I remember the steep prices of PS1 and Saturn games when they were first released, (SNES and N64 games were insane) and I could hardly afford many at the time. It did have it's perks though as it really meant you had to rinse the hell out of the few games you owned which was pretty satisfying. I can't say I ever felt ripped off back then though, for example Perfect Dark and Virtua Cop may of cost me around £70 with expansion pack/light gun respectively but I easily got my money's worth out of it.