Sega Saturn Vs Sony Playstation 1

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

outdated_gamer

Re: Sega Saturn Vs Sony Playstation 1

Post by outdated_gamer » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:50 am

Lost Dragon wrote: There was always the feeling Sega of Japan kept the best Saturn development tools for themselves, Argonaut's John Edelson: '..The Saturn did'nt get the same tools or libary support from Sega that the Playstation did from Sony.We spent a lot of time writing original libaries for 3D, audio and accessing CD.Developing for Saturn is difficult...the libaries have needed a lot of work and the larger community of Playstation programmers+Pc programmers that help people get through those games does'nt really exist on the Saturn.In a company like ours, the Saturn programmers feel isolated, and there are'nt as many resources devoted to them.so it's true, it's been hard for them'.
The Factor 5 guys compared the N64 to the Saturn in terms of how difficult it is to program for the machine in an interview they gave. And the guys were pretty much masters of the Nintendo hardware, having coded the Rogue Squadron series on N64 and NGC, Indy on N64 (which had more effects than the PC version) and the Turrican games on the 16-bit machines (sadly Lair on the PS3 sunk them).

Otherwise, I kinda agree that Sony would have won the 5th gen even if Nintendo went with an optical drive and Sega made the Saturn more powerful and cheaper. Their marketing budget was just too big for the other guys to compete and they had the "cool" image of high-tech video/audio producers, opposed to "kid's toys" that Nintendo and Sega made. The Sony brand was lot bigger and respected in those times.

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:59 am

Factor 5 were considered second only to Rare if your talking key Nintendo developers, closely involved with Nintendo for design of both hardware and (sound) software for the GBA and GameCube.

Ironically they had no idea how to contact either Nintendo or Sega during the MD/SNES years, because in terms of console developers, Germany was such an unknown to them, so they reversed-engineered both machines and produced their own development kits.They wanted to do a 3D Indiana Jones on the SNES using the Super FX chip, but found it was'nt powerful enough.

One hellva developer in the golry days: Denaris/Katakis, Turrican series, Rogue Squadron games etc, skip to PS3 Lair though, technically great from audio/visual point of view, but played like an utter dog.Telling reviewers they did'nt understand the control scheme, when game got low scores, probably did'nt help matters either.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:09 pm

Lost Dragon wrote:Factor 5 were considered second only to Rare if your talking key Nintendo developers, closely involved with Nintendo for design of both hardware and (sound) software for the GBA and GameCube.

Ironically they had no idea how to contact either Nintendo or Sega during the MD/SNES years, because in terms of console developers, Germany was such an unknown to them, so they reversed-engineered both machines and produced their own development kits.They wanted to do a 3D Indiana Jones on the SNES using the Super FX chip, but found it was'nt powerful enough.

One hellva developer in the golry days: Denaris/Katakis, Turrican series, Rogue Squadron games etc, skip to PS3 Lair though, technically great from audio/visual point of view, but played like an utter dog.Telling reviewers they did'nt understand the control scheme, when game got low scores, probably did'nt help matters either.
Lair got a patch for classic control after some time and apparently the game is more enjoyable with it but it was already too late to fix things and the game sunk the company. Goes to show that just one game with poor reception and sales performance can easily sink a company that isn't exactly bathing in resources.

tobycadamp

Post by tobycadamp » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:23 am

Sega died years ago but Sony is still up and running. I guess the winner clearly is Sony.
Last edited by tobycadamp on Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:10 am

Well that clears that up. Thankyou.
Thoughts and prayers.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:00 am

It's hard to argue with logic like that.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:37 pm

tobycadamp wrote:Sega died years ago but Sony is still up and running. I guess the winner clearly is Sony.
pretty much, gamers had the good sense to see that Sony had the better machine with the better games.

General Opulence

Post by General Opulence » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:41 pm

tobycadamp wrote:Sega died years ago but Sony is still up and running. I guess the winner clearly is Sony.
Is that a reply to which one is better Saturn or PS1?! Makes perfect sense....not! Plus i think you're find both companies are still trading!

crusto

Post by crusto » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:01 pm

I think the PSX wipes the floor with the Saturn. Don't get me wrong, I love Sega, but they had already dropped the ball more than once by the time Saturn hit the shelves. The console simply wasn't as good, mainly because it was more tailored to the then dying 2D market. And Sony made sure people knew as much with the way they pushed their console.

Eat your nans pants

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:54 pm

crusto wrote:The console simply wasn't as good, mainly because it was more tailored to the then dying 2D market. And Sony made sure people knew as much with the way they pushed their console.
disagree with first 6 words of the first sentence, agree with the second.

got to hand it to sony, they used to know how to flog hardware - but - i'll take any 2d Saturn game (or 2d psone game for that matter) over any of the 3d games on the psone all day, everyday.

I felt the same back when the consoles were released to though, so maybe I was retro before retro was. or something.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:25 pm

HEAVYface wrote:
crusto wrote:
got to hand it to sony, they used to know how to flog hardware - but - i'll take any 2d Saturn game (or 2d psone game for that matter) over any of the 3d games on the psone all day, everyday.

I felt the same back when the consoles were released to though, so maybe I was retro before retro was. or something.
I understand why you love 2D games, but how can you not like 3D PS1 games like Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy VII or Resident Evil? The games industry desperately needed a change, as all we were getting by the end of the SNES/MD generation were dreadful 2D platformers and movie tie-ins.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:43 pm

Personally speaking I didn't enjoy any of those games you just listed.

Give me Guardian Heroes on the Saturn any day 8)

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:26 am

Looking at Lifeforce Tenka as proof (pre-Quake II) PS could have handled Quake:

Polygons used for the enviroment:160,000

Polys used in entire game:32,000 per sector.

Polys per disk access: 10,000

Polys per character:100-350 Gouraud-shaded, textured and light-sourced.

Frame rates: 25 fps (Pal) 30 fps (NTSC)

Game used an advance lighting system (in 1 of the larger areas there are 404 lights in operation).

All specs from coders themselves.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:08 am

What's a polygon? A dead parrot.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:25 am

Lost Dragon wrote:Looking at Lifeforce Tenka as proof (pre-Quake II) PS could have handled Quake:

Polygons used for the enviroment:160,000

Polys used in entire game:32,000 per sector.

Polys per disk access: 10,000

Polys per character:100-350 Gouraud-shaded, textured and light-sourced.

Frame rates: 25 fps (Pal) 30 fps (NTSC)

Game used an advance lighting system (in 1 of the larger areas there are 404 lights in operation).

All specs from coders themselves.
Haha, nice stats, and that brings back memories. Lifeforce Tenka....what a crappy game that was.

But yes, the Playstation could easily have handled Quake 1, they just couldn't find a publisher. I'm surprised the finished ROM/ISO hasn't surfaced to put this argument to bed.