Sega Saturn Vs Sony Playstation 1

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Laird

Re: Sega Saturn Vs Sony Playstation 1

Post by The Laird » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:18 am

koopa42 wrote:I watched the teaser trailer for the new Alien game yesterday ..... then thought to myself 'just what have Sega done that I think is any good lately?'
Football Manager for a start!

Land Of Illusion, Sega 3D Classics (on 3DS) and Typing Of The Dead.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:19 am

The Laird wrote:
koopa42 wrote:I watched the teaser trailer for the new Alien game yesterday ..... then thought to myself 'just what have Sega done that I think is any good lately?'
Football Manager for a start!

Land Of Illusion, Sega 3D Classics (on 3DS) and Typing Of The Dead.
I thought about mentioning FM but I've not liked any of the ones done by Sega.

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:39 am

koopa42 wrote:I dunno if it's Sega's 'fault' as such .... not for me anyway, it might be that the games they have done just aren't for me? In hindsight I don't think there have been many Sega games (throughout gaming history) I've properly loved ..... that does lead nicely back on topis though, VF2 on the Saturn is awesome LOL
Part of me 'feels' for Sega and this is going back to the Saturn era here-even when Saturn had superior versions of Hexen, Duke Nukem 3D, was doing Quake, Sega Rally, VF:Remix, VF 2, Last Bronx, 2 V.Cops, Panzer Dragon series, Die Hard Arcade, Exhumed, D.O.A, Die Hard Arcade, Mass Destruction, Sonic R etc etc they just could'nt get a break.Hardware still viewed as inferior (jeez just what did it have to do to prove itself? things like VF2, Last Bronx running in machines higher res modes etc), public ignored it.

Ditto with Dreamcast, they stole an E3 with strongest line up, ever, had games like Headhunter, MSR, Ecco, MDK II, Res.Evil Code Vern.(ist real-time 3D Resident Evil), F355, Quake 3, Unreal T. (better than PS2 version), Trick Style, Rayman 2, Shen Mue all actual, honest to god games running, no smoke and mirrors concept footage or rendered demo's and still people thought the machine under-powered compared to what the belived PS2 would deliver (not knocking PS2 here, God Of War II alone looked like early 360 game, it was that epic), but i just could'nt see there being anything they could do, they had'nt at least tried.

Skip forward to Sega as a publisher and i'm left wondering why the PS3 MD collection had so much space left on the Blu ray, surely a lot more games could have gone on there, why they still have'nt converted Lost world, Planet Harriers etc to the home format, why the Aliens RPG was canned, yet AVP released...etc etc.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:50 am

Sega annoyed me with the XBLA Wonderboy collection, had they included The Dragon's Trap? It would have been a day one purchase for me ...... still dunno why they left it out.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:41 am

Hi, I just joined the forum and am a big fan of older games (6th gen and before).

I just in fact purchased a Sega Saturn only yesterday and awaiting its delivery. I will then be able to truly comment on what is a better system out of PS1 and Saturn!

I suspect that the PS1 is the much more accomplished machine though. The Saturn unfortunately had its life cut short far too early, which allowed the N64 and PS1 to become the main consoles of that generation. I'm really looking forward to playing Sega Rally and Virtua Cop 1/2 when it arrives though. I have a Dreamcast, but Sega Rally 2 just doesn't feel quite the same as the original that I loved at the arcade.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:44 am

Lost Dragon wrote:why they still have'nt converted Lost world, Planet Harriers etc to the home format, why the Aliens RPG was canned, yet AVP released...etc etc.
Yeah, there's a lot of stuff I'm still waiting for such as arcade-perfect re-releases of the other Outrun arcade games, AB Cop, Revenge of Death Adder + Saturn games like PDS that are just too expensive to buy on the original format. It's likely a lack of mass-market interest and guaranteed sales though which in fairness, you can't 100% hold against a publisher that needs to make money to survive. Still sucks though.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:04 am

koopa42 wrote: As for PS1 vs Saturn? PS1 win mega hyper flawless perfect victory ....... it's not even close.
But can the PS run SF Zero 3 close to arcade? :wink:

Oh wait, it has problems running even Alpha 1. :wink:

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:07 am

You are right! Alphas on the PS were terrible ...... oh wait, that was the games themselves. Terrible versions of SF. Before selling my SF collection recently I owned both Saturn and PS Alphas ...... equally terrible on both systems.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:09 am

Lost Dragon wrote: Ditto with Dreamcast, they stole an E3 with strongest line up, ever, had games like Headhunter, MSR, Ecco, MDK II, Res.Evil Code Vern.(ist real-time 3D Resident Evil), F355, Quake 3, Unreal T. (better than PS2 version), Trick Style, Rayman 2, Shen Mue all actual, honest to god games running, no smoke and mirrors concept footage or rendered demo's and still people thought the machine under-powered compared to what the belived PS2 would deliver (not knocking PS2 here, God Of War II alone looked like early 360 game, it was that epic), but i just could'nt see there being anything they could do, they had'nt at least tried.
If it wasn't for the "Emotion Engine" PS2 would be the most "backwards" system of all the 6th gen ones. It's GPU couldn't even do standard features like anti-aliasing and bump-mapping. It also had less V-RAM than the Dreamcast meaning that textures often looked worse than on the Dreamcast, long loading times and a poor picture quality due to a strange resolution ratio and lack of AA.

While it had more raw power than the Dreamcast, it didn't really have the picture quality to compete.

God of War II was impressive for the PS2 but you only need to take a look at Xbox's Ninja Gaiden Black to realize that much better was possible in that gen.

EDIT: Otogi on Xbox also kicked God of War's butt, effects and style wise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iTOPR3GXpU
Last edited by outdated_gamer on Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:11 am

koopa42 wrote:You are right! Alphas on the PS were terrible ...... oh wait, that was the games themselves. Terrible versions of SF. Before selling my SF collection recently I owned both Saturn and PS Alphas ...... equally terrible on both systems.
Depends on taste. Personally I like the Alpha series but prefer SFII & SFIII.

retrosofer

Post by retrosofer » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:19 am

Thanks nakamura for unnecessarily derailing the thread for a couple of pages and adding nothing to the discussion that was going on, if you wanted to vent about fanboyism then you should have posted in the 'what grinds your gears' thread in Off Topic.

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:22 am

koopa42 wrote:Sega annoyed me with the XBLA Wonderboy collection, had they included The Dragon's Trap? It would have been a day one purchase for me ...... still dunno why they left it out.
Do not get me started there...bought that on 360, impulse buy and of all the games to leave out? f**k me sideways, it had to be this one and, as you say, no explanation why.It's this and not putting in Wide Screen support to DC games on XBLA etc that just make me think, Sega:If your not going to bother putting time in, why should i bother buying?.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:22 am

outdated_gamer wrote:
koopa42 wrote:You are right! Alphas on the PS were terrible ...... oh wait, that was the games themselves. Terrible versions of SF. Before selling my SF collection recently I owned both Saturn and PS Alphas ...... equally terrible on both systems.
The Alpha's on the Saturn are easily my favourite SF games. Always thought SF2 was massively over rated.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:25 am

SFII through SSFIIt was the pinnacle of 2D fighting games. Neither the Saturn OR Playstation ever did 2D fighters particularly well. They both aced the 3D genre though ..... really really well.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:27 am

The Laird wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote:
The Alpha's on the Saturn are easily my favourite SF games. Always thought SF2 was massively over rated.
I prefer SFII to other games in the series due to gameplay mechanics that suit me best and also the iconic sound track and characters.