Sega Saturn Vs Sony Playstation 1

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

yethboth

Sega Saturn Vs Sony Playstation 1

Post by yethboth » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:23 am

Remember 'Quake'? Did you know this game got released on the Sega Saturn but NEVER on the Playstation 1? The Reason? It was because the Playstation 1 could not handle the graphics while the Saturn could. :D

The Sega Saturn is in many ways more powerful than the Playstation, e.g. The Saturn is the most powerful 2D console to date, more powerful than the Neo Geo. :o

Although the Saturn was not particularly good at displaying crisp and clear 3D graphics like the Playstation could, the Saturn did have other abilities in creating effects that the Playstation could not do, e.g. The lighting effects in 'Exhumed'. :lol:

Guardian Heroes would NEVER have been released on the Playstation because the Playstation would not simply be able to handle it. :lol:

As well as this Saturn had a Cartridge slot which was used for 'King Of Fighters 95' to insert a Megabyte Cartridge for even faster speed and better gameplay, making this even better than the Arcade Version! :D

There was so many Quality Sega Saturn Japanese Import games that never got released in the UK. :cry:

If people had supported the Saturn like they should have done but sadly did not :x , then we could have seen one of my all time favourite beat'em ups 'Rival Schools' be released on the Saturn and not just on the Playstation. Sadly this did not happen. :cry:

What does everyone else think? I would like to hear everyone else's opinions please? :)

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:25 am

Most overrated console ever.

The Penultimate Ninja

Post by The Penultimate Ninja » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:45 am

I had a Saturn, couldn't afford to get a PS1 too. I didn't play many PS1 games until later.

I think they were pretty evenly matched, not really much to choose between either of them.

It was worth buying just for the Sega exclusives (Sega Rally, Nights, Burning Rangers, Panzer Dragoon, Dragon Force etc), but it doesn't have the library to compete with the PS1.

RivaOni

Post by RivaOni » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:22 am

My gaming during that era, to begin with, was mainly controlled by my brothers tastes, he bought a Saturn initially and we'd play SEGA Rally Championship all the time, to the point I can still remember my gear shifts on the Desert course!

He eventually replaced it with a PlayStation though, for reasons I dont really know, probably the face all his mates had PlayStatons.

I got one myself eventually, well it was a joint Christmas present between my sister and I, I think I was 14.

both have their merits, certainly games like Burning Rangers and NiGHTS are must-plays, its just a pity that alot of the games on Saturn that are good are so god damn expensive!

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:37 am

Remember 'Quake'? Did you know this game got released on the Sega Saturn but NEVER on the Playstation 1? The Reason? It was because the Playstation 1 could not handle the graphics while the Saturn could.

Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

RivaOni

Post by RivaOni » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:39 am

I forgot to mention there was Quake 2 on the Ps1, used to play that multiplayer alot back in the day.

I THINK THE IMAGE IS A BIT BIG THOUGH DUDLEY!

Utini

Re: Sega Saturn Vs Sony Playstation 1

Post by Utini » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:29 am

yethboth wrote:What does everyone else think? I would like to hear everyone else's opinions please? :)
A white elephant of a console, with too few quality releases in its day to make it worth the outlay. As a retro item, though, and games at a couple of quid a throw, it's well worth it.
Hey, Sweden!
They're not Swedish Mac, they're Norwegian!

bolda

Post by bolda » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:44 am

Utini wrote:A white elephant of a console, with too few quality releases in its day to make it worth the outlay. As a retro item, though, and games at a couple of quid a throw, it's well worth it.
I agree 100% with that. The high price when it was originally released scuppered its chances of really taking off. But you can pick up a system with a handful of games for a very reasonable price now. When I got my first Saturn a few months ago, the first thing I thought was "God, I would have been very impresed with this if it was 1994!" Of course, I'm still impressed with it in this day and age but I wouldn't like to have to chose between Saturn and PS1, too close to call!
GAME OVER YEEEAAAHHH!
ImageImageImage

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:47 am

Utini wrote:A white elephant of a console, with too few quality releases in its day to make it worth the outlay. As a retro item, though, and games at a couple of quid a throw, it's well worth it.
Yep, spot on Utini.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:55 am

Didn't like it much when it came out and still haven't seen anything that would make me think its better than PS1. For a change, I actually backed the winning system this time and I'm glad of it.

Saturn is one of the reasons I didn't invest in Dreamcast until it was dead, so they brought it upon themselves...
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:05 pm

Oh dont get me Started on this war, Out of all my consoles that I have ever had the Saturn has come out tops. Dont give the crap about how Sony did this and that, the PS1 is in fact a large slab of grey mouldering censored. If it didnt have the better media and all the exsclusives then it would have been a real dud. My Saturn goes a bit faster than a PS1 and depending on the game it looks better than the PS1. Its Graphics are better suited to darker more sinster games, rather than the bright happy stuff Nintendo and Sony are famed for. Most of its faliure is Sega of America having poor connections with SoJ and being reluctant to promote the Saturn as they had to can the Neptune(Which Basically was just a mega drive with a bit more ummph). They made a hash of advertising and completley failed to help programmers understand the twin processor system. The Saturn is essentaly a home arcade, plug it up to a decent sized TV at about average height for an arcade plug in a decent sound system and two light guns into the Saturn then top it off by slapping house of the dead into the drive. The only real differences from the arcade are a few polygon models having lower detail and no annoying fat kid pointing out the obvious next to you. I hate it when people slate the saturn, sure it isnt based on RPGs and Lightening fast FPS's, I have a PC for that, the Saturn comes down to one thing, pure uncensored gory fun.
Watching you sleep since 1990

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:14 pm

I'm thinking of a word. It begins with B and ends in ollocks!

Me and Sega2006 have had this discussion on the weekend-gamer forum and are obviously miles apart on opinion.

I don't think the Saturn is crap because the PS1 was better. I don't like the Saturn because of the Saturn. As a retro console it has a couple of decent games, but as a major player in the console wars it couldn't cut it graphically and it was too complicated to program.

Everyone always blames it on Sony's marketing budget, but the truth is that Sega over complicated things again (like they did with the Megadrive and its add-ons). Its just a pity that when they had sorted themselves out (with the sublime dreamcast), we had no faith left in them.

will2097

Post by will2097 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:41 pm

Oh god no - is this necessary? The Saturn got Sega's back catelogue of outstanding arcade games and few gems that meant for me, a died in the wool Sonyphile, that the Saturn has a special place and I love it to bits. Virtua Cop, Virtua Fighter [sigh] and still I long for a cheap copy Panzer Dragoon Saga. I didn't rate Nights but I'm in a minority... but during '95, '96, '97 the arcade was dying and people wanted 'depth' and long winded boring FPS games.

...But I love the PS1 too. Resident Evil. Ridge. Tekken. MGS. Etc., People say it was souless - but for me the PS1 had a hell of an aura? Does that count for anything? The PS1 was exciting and new and innovative and the Saturn - thanks to Sega and their approach - wasn't. (it was for some of us!)

Sega Rally is f**king brilliant. And virtua cop I & II. And Clock Work Knight - UK launch title?

Quake - as far as I have always been concerned from having seen Doom on a 486 SX25 back in '94, until the present day, was and is an FPS - and all FPS' (with some noticeable exceptions) are boring, confusing, repetitive sh!te, that been rammed down my throat for apparently no good reason nearly 15 years.

Light gun games and 2D/3D fighters, sneak-abouts, top down racers and arcade racers FTW! ...and lara croft the way she used to be. cute.

\"Down with FPS\" :(

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:07 am

I can't see the point in getting a Saturn when there's the Dreamcast - all the arcade ports but better

With the possible exception of the Panzer Dragoon series , there was no real reason to own a Saturn instead of a PS1.

PS1 had as many decent arcade conversions as Saturn ,and in many cases were better- Tekken , Ridge Racer , Time Crisis imho were better
than Virtua Fighter , Sega Rally , Virtua Cop
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:45 am

Yeah, you're right. The Saturn was the most awesome, amazing....OH WOW! LOOK OVER THERE! CAN YOU SEE THAT!? IT'S PARAPPA THE RAPPER DANCING ON THE BURNING HUSKS OF A BILLION IMPLODED SATURNS!!!
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian