The Laird's Homebrew Lair

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

kiwimike

Re: The Laird's Homebrew Lair

Post by kiwimike » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:49 am

nakamura wrote:Very cool read. Had a look at Luchsenstein on You Tube and such a pity Wolfenstein never came out on the Lynx. No idea how it would have been in 1993 as new programming has probably stretched the machine further but it still would have looked amazing on the machine on that little screen I think.
A good FPS on a handheld at the time would have been a terrific killer app and selling point too.

Yeah, the 7800 was so underestimated in terms of it's ability, the 7800 and Lynx have both gone gangbusters in a parallel universe somewhere!

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:45 pm

Here are some more new homebrews for you!

Image Image

Alien - Atari Lynx
This project is a conversion of the C64 version of Argus Press' classic game based on the first Aliens movie. Gadget UK has painstakingly converted all the 6502 code over to the Lynx and then adjusted the graphics to fit the Lynx screen. The game is now fully playable but he hopes to release a further revision with updated graphics.

Image Image

Satan's Hollow - Atari 2600
Some of the older people here may remember the original Satan's Hollow arcade game by Bally Midway, it's not one of their most famous titles so it was never converted to many home formats. Now this is being remedied as the game is being ported over to the humble 2600 and already looks very impressive indeed.

Image Image

Pyramid Plunder - NEC PC Engine / TurboGrafx
This fantastic new homebrew for the PCE by Aetherbyte takes the timeless gameplay of Pac-Man, adds an Egyptian theme and gives it a whole new spin too with all its features. The levels scroll rather than being just one screen and there are also power-ups that can be collected and then activated when you wish. A brilliantly addictive game.

Image Image

Match 5 - Mattel Intellivision
You control the grid! The 'grid' is an alien space ship wrecking yard! Your job is to link 5 or more identical space ships and blast them to smithereens with an electrical charge! Are you up to the task? Some ships can be destroyed by linking to any other ships and when the wrecking yard lanes get bogged down, bring in the bomb squad to blow it all up!

Image Image

Hyperblast - Atari 5200
8 Bit-Guy has created a new homebrew title for the 5200 by converting the A8 game Hyperblast to the Atari 5200!This is actually one of several conversions 8Bit-Guy has worked on. There are no plans for cart release right now and the only way to get the complete version is through a donation but a demo binary file can now be downloaded.

Image Image

Huenison - Commodore Amiga
Do you know those weird, meaningless games that you find yourself instantly drowned in and hopelessly addicted to? Be warned: you just stumbled upon one. A great one. Huenison takes elements from games like Arkanoid, Dyna Blaster, Impossible Mission, Oil's Well, Pac-Man, Pang, Qix, Space Invaders and Tetris then puts them together in a hectic arcade mix.

Image Image

Heretic - Atari Jaguar
The team at Stormworks Interactive are right now in the process of converting id Software's classic first person shooter with a gothic theme to the Atari Jaguar. Using a modified version of the Jag Doom engine they plan to include as much as possible from the original PC version including more than a few hidden secrets to discover too!They are hoping to make a limited cartridge release in the near future.

Image Image

Balz - Atari XL/XE
Ever Wanted to play Puzzle Bobble/Bust A Move on your Atari 8-bit? Well now you can play Balz! A very similar game that was produced for the Fortification 2013 competition in Poland. This demo version is fully playable and already quite impressive. It is hoped that the game will be worked on further for a full release. You can download the demo version for free and it works on all emulators and flash cartridges!

Image Image

Froggie - Atari 7800
It's been an amazing 8 years in the making but Froggie for the Atari 7800 ProSystem is finally here! It is, of course, a conversion of the popular arcade game Frogger. Due to a multitude of reasons this version by Atari Age member Schmutzpuppe has been on and off for years but is now complete and ready to play on real hardware via a flash cartridge or an emulator. The programmer is hoping to make a cartridge version available to buy in the very near future!

Image Image

Hexed - MB Vectrex
And finally we have a brand spanking new Vectrex title by Fury Unlimited! The wonderful card game game Hexed. Only 50 copies are going to be available.of this game so you will be very lucky if you manage to snag one now. There is a short playthrough of the game to be found on You Tube if you want to take a closer look at this unique game for the system.
Last edited by The Laird on Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:08 pm

This thread is all manner of excellent.
I'm posting this because this thread doesn't really get much in the way of replies and sometimes the author can feel like they're posting into empty air. I appreciate this excellent thread a great deal even though I've nothing substantial to add to it and I want it to continue so I'm just expressing my interest as a sort of "keep it up" thing.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

RUOK

Post by RUOK » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:14 pm

It's truly astonishing how much time and experience has improved the graphical capabilities on these machines. I'm particularly excited about Hexed and Heretic. Great thread please keep posting updates

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:19 pm

The Beans wrote:This thread is all manner of excellent.
I'm posting this because this thread doesn't really get much in the way of replies and sometimes the author can feel like they're posting into empty air. I appreciate this excellent thread a great deal even though I've nothing substantial to add to it and I want it to continue so I'm just expressing my interest as a sort of "keep it up" thing.
Cheers, means a lot! Nice to somebody reads my ramblings :lol:
RUOK wrote:It's truly astonishing how much time and experience has improved the graphical capabilities on these machines. I'm particularly excited about Hexed and Heretic. Great thread please keep posting updates
Indeed, the programmer of Heretic is good friend of mine and it's looking amazing so far. On the flip side I look forward to reading more of your thoughts on the Jaguar homebrew scene so please don't let that thread die either! 8)

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:21 pm

RUOK wrote:I'm particularly excited about Hexed
Checking out the youtube video brings home what a great impact the game would have had if it was released back in the day. It would have been amazingly original (for me at least) and looks superb. Brilliant stuff IMO.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

RUOK

Post by RUOK » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:29 pm

The Beans wrote:
RUOK wrote:I'm particularly excited about Hexed
Checking out the youtube video brings home what a great impact the game would have had if it was released back in the day. It would have been amazingly original (for me at least) and looks superb. Brilliant stuff IMO.
It looks like a really refreshing title, homebrew gives these under developed consoles a chance to live again. Even the 2600 is still surprising me!

Will there be music in Heretic Laird? Or will it be Doom style :)

I'm looking forward to a good sesh on my Jag CD this weekend so I'll try get something up on Sunday. I keep nipping upstairs for a game Tube when I have 10mims spare in between me wife, daughter and work, it's quite addictive!
Last edited by RUOK on Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:30 pm

I'm very excited about Froggie TBH. Frogger is one of my nostalgic go to's that I always get a hankering to play, but the Atari 2600 version of Frogger is just so disappointing.
I will definitely be ordering a copy of this if he releases it as a cartridge if I can.

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:30 pm

is that Heretic a jag in game shot ?
it's looking pretty spot on if it is,i wouldn't know any better if it is or not.

i keep meaning to try a couple of those free ones from the first post but get distracted and forget.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:37 pm

Hitman_HalStep wrote:is that Heretic a jag in game shot ?
it's looking pretty spot on if it is,i wouldn't know any better if it is or not.

i keep meaning to try a couple of those free ones from the first post but get distracted and forget.
Yes, that is a real in-game shot! Missing the status bar though, which has now been added.
RUOK wrote: Will there be music in Heretic Laird? Or will it be Doom style :)

I'm looking forward to a good sesh on my Jag CD this weekend so I'll try get something up on Sunday. I keep nipping upstairs for a game Tube when I have 10mims spare in between me wife, daughter and work, it's quite addictive!
Possibly, it can be done but will take up some of the memory that could be used for other things. The main coder was actually asking me which I preferred and I have to say I thought it had much more atmosphere without the music and just the ambient sound effects (much like Jag Doom).

Tube is indeed bloody fantastic, if only he would do a 3rd version that has a 2-player split screen mode and time attack mode with ghosts, like Sega Rally has.

RUOK

Post by RUOK » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:48 pm

I agree on the music, it should definitely be sacrificed for additional content.

Those features added to Tube would be great, I have a retro gaming mate coming over tomorrow and I going to introduce him to Tubes delights.

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:58 pm

Great thread Laird, this is what the homebrew section of RG should cover more, but it seems its the same 8bit systems that get covered...

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:22 pm

Adding another thumbs up, enjoying this thread.

(Until you said some of you 'OLDER' ones will remember Satins Hollow arcade game... :lol: )

It's amazing how many consoles got really good conversions of Frogger, it came up well on most systems, even Game.com!

Heretic looks great!

mrspud

Post by mrspud » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:35 am

The Laird wrote:Huenison - Commodore Amiga
Nice thread, some cool looking developments out there and it is nice to hear about new games for systems I've never been particularly interested in. I'd suggest tagging Huenison as a Commordore Amiga game is stretching reality a little bit. The sort of "Amiga" it will run on couldn't be further from the common (well my own anyway :) ) perception of a Commodore Amiga :wink:
New Amiga, SAM Coupé and Speccy games available at http://blackjet.co.uk

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:34 am

r0jaws wrote:I'm very excited about Froggie TBH. Frogger is one of my nostalgic go to's that I always get a hankering to play, but the Atari 2600 version of Frogger is just so disappointing.
I take it you haven't played the Starpath version then, as it's a lot, lot better?

As for the 7800 Frogger, it really is almost that accurate to the original...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...