The Laird's Homebrew Lair

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Laird

The Laird's Homebrew Lair

Post by The Laird » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:46 pm

So as many of you know I love my homebrew and am about to release a magazine/book dedicated to the subject.

Rather than leave all you lovely folk out the loop I thought it might be nice to update you all on some of the latest homebrew games available for retro systems!

So here are my first 10 for you:

Image Image

Request In Peace - Sinclair ZX Spectrum
This great little arcade game from a team of Spanish coders is available to download for free and has you running around a graveyard collecting the right objects to stop the undead from rising. Needs a 128k machine to play or works on emulators.

Image Image

Luchsenstein 3D - Atari Lynx
Wolfenstein 3D was actually planned for release on the Lynx back in the day but never made it out the door like so many games for the machine sadly. Well now thanks to a team of German coders you can play this 2 level demo of the game on a real Lynx or via Handy emulator.

Image Image

Hover Bovver - Mattel Intellivision
Remember this Jeff Minter classic from the Atari 8-bit and the Commodore 64? Well now an officially licensed version is coming to your Intellivision in time for the summer! So if the English weather lets us down again then you can enjoy the view on you TV instead!

Image Image

Guns 'n' Ghosts - Commodore 64
Psytronik software deliver the goods again with this excellent platform game for 1 or 2 players. The game is available on disk, tape and cartridge with professional packaging. This madcap title is one of the most fun C64 games to come out in years.

Image Image

Fallen Angels - Atari Jaguar
With the recent demise of Lucasarts it's great to see one of their very first games revived for the modern day. Fallen Angels is a remake of Rescue On Fractalus that uses a super smooth voxel engine and is available for free to play on flash carts and via CD.

Image Image

Dynamite Dreams - Sega Dreamcast
As you can probably tell from the screenshots this is a Bomberman clone for the Dreamcast with some crazy game modes. Due for release very soon the game features a story mode alongside death matches, calculation modes and bodyguard mode for the ultimate challenge.

Image Image

CGE Adventures - Atari 2600
Those of you who attended Revival last month would have got to play this brilliant new game for the granddaddy of consoles. Set at the CGE event in America this adventure game is based on real events and features many of the people in attendance at the real show!

Image Image

Bentley Bears Crystal Quest - Atari 7800
Since Crystal Castles Bentley Bear hasn't had much to do except make a brief appearance in Atari Karts. Well now he's back in this superb platform game that is heavily based on Sega's Wonderboy. Crystal Quest is all set to be the best platformer on the 7800.

Image Image

Antarex - Sega Mega Drive
After the success of Oh Mummy 1985 Alternativo are back with another game for the Mega Drive. But instead of another remake they chose to produce an original horizontally scrolling shooter for the machine that already looks extremely promising.

Image Image

Sir Abadol - Sega Mega Drive
The Mojon Twins are best known for their brilliant Speccy games but have been branching out onto other platforms of late, the NES included. This atmospheric side scrolling arcade adventure can now be downloaded for free for both flash cartridges and emulators.

clarance

Re: The Laird's Homebrew Lair

Post by clarance » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:51 pm

You really shouldn't make threads like this, with my dyslexia and everything :|
Death may be your Santa Claus.

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:52 pm

Some cool IP's there, some gems, some one should try and make tv commercial like in the old days for one of these cool games..

Thanks for sharing, maybe TMR will review one or 2 of them for the magazine
↓↓Click Link to See More
[url=http://www.greyfoxbooks.com[/url]

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:56 pm

I've already downloaded Request In Peace, one of my Facebook friends posted a link for it a short while back. It really is a great little game and I've liked what I've played of it so far. :)

Some of those others look well worth trying. I'll be giving Antarex a go as soon as I can.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:05 pm

Dynamite Dreams is one to look out for. I had completely forgot about it. Any idea if it's actually getting a proper release? (if so, this really will be a year of awesome DC releases!)

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:01 am

Awesome stuff, keep it up! I especially love the Lynx shots, some of your earlier topics with some 'what could have been' Lynx screenshots have me pining for the old Lynx

RUOK

Post by RUOK » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:44 am

Wow that Bently game could have been on the Master System looks really good, it's amazing what people are getting out of age old hardware in modern times

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:35 am

I may have to look into Bentley Bear's quest, my 7800 sorely needs some quality games.

merman

Post by merman » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:52 am

Sir Abadol is also out on C64, RGCD sell it in a double-pack cartridge with UWOL's Quest For Money.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:00 pm

RUOK wrote:Wow that Bently game could have been on the Master System looks really good, it's amazing what people are getting out of age old hardware in modern times
Technically speaking the 7800 is more powerful than the NES and SMS in many ways, especially sprites. It's a shame it was never pushed as hard as it's rivals in it's commercial life though. Look at Commando or Ballblazer on the 7800, they are far superior to the NES versions.
kiwimike wrote:Awesome stuff, keep it up! I especially love the Lynx shots, some of your earlier topics with some 'what could have been' Lynx screenshots have me pining for the old Lynx
Glad you liked it, I will post more very soon!
Space_turnip wrote:Dynamite Dreams is one to look out for. I had completely forgot about it. Any idea if it's actually getting a proper release? (if so, this really will be a year of awesome DC releases!)
Yes, they are now looking for a publisher so should be out fairly soon!

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:11 pm

Very cool read. Had a look at Luchsenstein on You Tube and such a pity Wolfenstein never came out on the Lynx. No idea how it would have been in 1993 as new programming has probably stretched the machine further but it still would have looked amazing on the machine on that little screen I think.

Antarex also looks pretty interesting as does Guns'n'Ghosts.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:15 pm

Excellent post! Very interesting.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:37 pm

Yes, excellent stuff The Laird, Guns 'n' Ghosts is on my to buy list, Psytronik really do come out with some excellent titles, I am still stunned every time I load up Adventures in Time on the Plus 4.

Homebrew is an area I have rarely touched, so any more posts like this will be most welcome.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:11 pm

I shall be wary of buying Antarex , purely based on the shocking service I received and my 8 month wait for the Oh Mummy I ordered.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:42 am

shiftytigger wrote:I shall be wary of buying Antarex , purely based on the shocking service I received and my 8 month wait for the Oh Mummy I ordered.
I really wanted Oh Mummy but passed on it at the time. With all the problems people have had maybe I did the right thing.