The PS2/Xbox/Gamecube are not really retro.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Antiriad2097

Re: The PS2/Xbox/Gamecube are not really retro.

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:28 pm

<sigh>

You posted a spec for a definition of retro with the suggestion that this became the standard.

As a standard, I didn't agree with the definition, since imo it is at least a generation too late.

You tried to define the thing, it is that definition I said was wrong.

And this is why a standard probably wouldn't work as you define it.

I'm not shooting down the idea, I'm shooting down the definition. You yourself, in the original post, asked why the definition couldn't work. I answered the question you asked and told you why.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

SonicTheHedgehog

Post by SonicTheHedgehog » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:13 pm

I do think that these 7 criteria that i have previously mentioned would be perfectly used to define Retro.

1 - It would have to have been at least 10 years since the last game on that console was released in the shops.
2 - It would have to have been at least 10 years since the machine was being manufactured by it's company for worldwide territories.
3 - It would have to have been at least 20 years since the machine was officially launched in the major territories.
4 - It would have to have been succeeded by at least 2 generations of consoles.
5 - All major high street shops would have to have stopped selling the machines games.
6 - All major high street shops would have to have stopped selling the machine.
7 - As Retro is defined, Its games would have to show a fashion, decor, design, or style reminiscent of things past.

And it's not that im making it to suit my definition of Retro i am simply taking into account the main things that everyone have mentioned COULD be used to determine Retro and simply put them all together. If a machine fulfills ALL these then we would have to class it as Retro.
The square is a great shape, and one that is criminally underused in modern game design. In the push to ever more granular, chaotic environments, games have lost sight of the simple pleasures of right angles and straight lines.

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:49 pm

Antiriad would deem that to be "wrong"

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:51 pm

Everyone's definition will vary, there's no straight one way to look at it.

I view the PS2 era as retro because it's not the current era we're in - simples.

As I did the majority of my gaming on that generation, growing up with 16-BIT & the N64 era I'd love to read more about that in the mag. At the moment I buy it casually but if the N64/PS2 era showed up more I'd definitely pick up a subscription.

The moment I see articles on the old computers I want to gouge my eyes out :oops: far too boring for me!!

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:37 pm

Retro as a word means backwards, or something associated or revived from the past.

even the latin explanation means to look back or in past times.

its also short for retrograde which means movement towards the past instead of progress towards the future.

so instead of everyone trying to define what retro means to them and trying to fit it to what they want lets simply look at the actual confirmed definition of the word.

If we do that then quite simply anything older than this gen is retro, there is no argument, if you put retro before something then you have to accept that by using that word you are accepting its literal meaning. So yes the PS2 and Xbox etc are retro.

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:55 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:Retro as a word means backwards, or something associated or revived from the past.

its also short for retrograde which means movement towards the past instead of progress towards the future.

so instead of everyone trying to define what retro means to them and trying to fit it to what they want lets simply look at the actual confirmed definition of the word.

If we do that then quite simply anything older than this gen is retro, there is no argument, if you put retro before something then you have to accept that by using that word you are accepting its literal meaning. So yes the PS2 and Xbox etc are retro.
No, that's wrong (according to Antiriad)

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:14 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:Retro as a word means backwards, or something associated or revived from the past.

But the PS2 was still being made up until recently and still has new games being released for it so isn't from the past is it? :wink:

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:28 pm

what about the ones made ten years ago and all the really old games?
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:32 pm

The Laird wrote:

But the PS2 was still being made up until recently and still has new games being released for it so isn't from the past is it? :wink:
But it has been superceeded, and is therefore a past model, and its not commercially supported as a system in retail shops. If the console and its games had a strong presence as brand new stock in highstreet stores in large numbers then I would agree with you.

companies still make parts for cars from the 60's, and they are still retro.

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:38 pm

I apply the Car boot sale rule of thumb for this.
Firstly, all consoles must pass the "Playstation" phase, ie you can't give it away. There's always one in a box with a bundle of sports games on every other stall, and even if it's only a quid, and is boxed and has a huge pile of games, you still can't be arsed to pick it up.
After a while, a console will pass that stage, and someone will try and charge you £30 for it, even thought it's clearly been sitting in a damp garage for the last couple of years, smells of fags and has unidentifiable grime coating every ergonomic surface. You will offer him £10, and will hear the immortal, "they go for £40 on eBay mate".
At that point, it's retro.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:41 pm

RodimusPrime wrote: companies still make parts for cars from the 60's, and they are still retro.
I couldn't agree more. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:18 pm

r0jaws wrote:I apply the Car boot sale rule of thumb for this.
Firstly, all consoles must pass the "Playstation" phase, ie you can't give it away. There's always one in a box with a bundle of sports games on every other stall, and even if it's only a quid, and is boxed and has a huge pile of games, you still can't be arsed to pick it up.
After a while, a console will pass that stage, and someone will try and charge you £30 for it, even thought it's clearly been sitting in a damp garage for the last couple of years, smells of fags and has unidentifiable grime coating every ergonomic surface. You will offer him £10, and will hear the immortal, "they go for £40 on eBay mate".
At that point, it's retro.
+1

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:54 pm

RodimusPrime wrote: But it has been superceeded, and is therefore a past model, and its not commercially supported as a system in retail shops. If the console and its games had a strong presence as brand new stock in highstreet stores in large numbers then I would agree with you.

companies still make parts for cars from the 60's, and they are still retro.
I can walk into several shops near me and buy new PS2 games and you can still buy new systems and games on the likes of Amazon and ebay too. FIFA '13 and PES '13 came out for the thing this year FFS, can't get less retro than those games.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:13 pm

What about the consoles they sold ten years ago and all the really old games?

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:25 pm

gman72 wrote:What about the consoles they sold ten years ago and all the really old games?
What about them? You can't say SOME PS2s are retro or some PS2 games are retro, it doesn't work like that. A machine is either retro or it isn't and no machine that has FIFA '13 on it can honestly be called retro.

PS2 games are basically the same as PS3 games just with worse graphics. Not to mention it's only last gen still, hell nobody was calling the Commodore 64 retro when the Amiga came out, nobody was calling the Master System retro when the Mega Drive came out and nobody was calling the Game Boy retro when the Game Boy Color came out were they?