The PS2/Xbox/Gamecube are not really retro.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

silvergunner

Re: The PS2/Xbox/Gamecube are not really retro.

Post by silvergunner » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:27 pm

gman72 wrote:I do not think you will ever see massive coverage of these systems in RG mores the pity. To quote Mr Spock,
The needs of the many out way the needs of the few.
And the majority still want 90 odd percent 8 bit coverage per issue.
I was brought up in the 8bit era but I feel sometimes we have too much about the same group of games. I'm not going into which games. But I do like it when you have read an 8bit article with the lower, duller resolutions. You turn the page and its about some crazy sprite based jap arcade game with lots of colour. Gets me more interested again. So much arcade stuff from around the 16bit era that never got a home release that when it is featured it feels fresh. Don't get me wrong I thought the recent 8bit crash article was well written and had a couple of things not mentioned as much as the usual tales. But I cannot help think "here we go again, kind of read all this before many a times really" hope the mag does not go crazy if and when they dig the desert up looking for E.T. with lots of articles about the games crash again. Also I would like to see more about the earlier Saturn and psone games as there is sooooo much to tell. I bought a playstation 1 back end of 95 when I was in school. I'm now 33 so 17 odd years later is a fair gap to me and does not feel new

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:48 pm

There is no answer because there is nothing to define retro gaming...

Can't be age, because in 1994 the PS1 was out when the Snes and Megadrive were still selling well.
Can't be game types 2D or 3D because there as been 3D games since the mid 80s and 2D games exist now.
Can't be console generations because console releases are getting further between generations, what once was old is now just last generation.

There is no defining answer.
The only hope is try the VGA website, I'm sure they could define the industry they own :lol:

SonicTheHedgehog

Post by SonicTheHedgehog » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:07 pm

For a console to be deemed Retro it would have to meet all these criteria:

1 - It would have to have been at least 10 years since the last game on that console was released in the shops.
2 - It would have to have been at least 10 years since the machine was being manufactured by it's company for worldwide territories.
3 - It would have to have been at least 20 years since the machine was officially launched in the major territories.
4 - It would have to have been succeeded by at least 2 generations of consoles.
5 - All major high street shops would have to have stopped selling the machines games.
6 - All major high street shops would have to have stopped selling the machine.
7 - As Retro is defined, Its games would have to show a fashion, decor, design, or style reminiscent of things past.

If it met ALL 7 of these then it would have to be deemed Retro. Problem solved.
Last edited by SonicTheHedgehog on Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
The square is a great shape, and one that is criminally underused in modern game design. In the push to ever more granular, chaotic environments, games have lost sight of the simple pleasures of right angles and straight lines.

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:17 am

SonicTheHedgehog wrote:For a console to be deemed Retro it would have to meet all these criteria:

1 - It would have to have been at least 10 years since the last game on that console was released in the shops.
2 - It would have to have been at least 10 years since the machine was being manufactured by it's company.
3 - It would have to have been at least 20 years since the machine was officially launched.
5 - All major high street shops would have to have stopped selling the machines games.
7 - As Retro is defined, Its games would have to show a fashion, decor, design, or style reminiscent of things past.

Yes! make room for the PS1, Saturn, 32X and PC-FX in the mag next year! (Well don't worry about the latter!) Sorry Nintendo fans, 3 years before the N64 is deemed retro!

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:20 am

^ By your criteria the Famicom would only just have become retro as the last ones rolled off the line in 2003.
And I'm sure the 2600 was considered retro long before 2002!

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:42 am

Too much criteria.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

stvd

Post by stvd » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:43 am

koopa42 wrote:It's a bit crazy to think that the last game I played on the xbox (well the last one that made me think 's##t this looks the biz') was Black, I bet that looks ropey as now :oops:
Nah, I still think it looks good. And it plays a lot better than a lot of 360 FPS's.

SonicTheHedgehog

Post by SonicTheHedgehog » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:37 am

AmigaJay wrote:
SonicTheHedgehog wrote:For a console to be deemed Retro it would have to meet all these criteria:

2 - It would have to have been at least 10 years since the machine was being manufactured by it's company for worldwide territories.
3 - It would have to have been at least 20 years since the machine was officially launched.

Yes! make room for the PS1, Saturn, 32X and PC-FX in the mag next year! (Well don't worry about the latter!) Sorry Nintendo fans, 3 years before the N64 is deemed retro!
Criteria 3 was meant to state that the machine had to have been officially launched in the major territories so PS1, Saturn, and 32X could be deemed Retro around the end of 2015, 20 years after they were released in the West and Europe.
Liamh1982 wrote:^ By your criteria the Famicom would only just have become retro as the last ones rolled off the line in 2003.
And I'm sure the 2600 was considered retro long before 2002!
Were those 2 consoles still being rolled of the line and being sold WORLDWIDE in 02 & 03? Only 1 territory doesn't count so i have edited the no 2 criteria slightly.

And Mart if you analyze each criteria you will see that they are all valid and need to be included in determining Retro.

3 - It would have to have been at least 20 years since the machine was officially launched in the major territories.

The square is a great shape, and one that is criminally underused in modern game design. In the push to ever more granular, chaotic environments, games have lost sight of the simple pleasures of right angles and straight lines.

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:02 am

You cant just define to suit you just because its still being sold in one territory and not others as being retro!
As i said you simply cant define something as varied as retro gaming....doesn't work.

The easiest and closest you are gonna get is by age and obviously there are loopholes there too, but you ain't gonna get a true definition whatever way you try.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:32 am

If you're an adult and you can remember something you played with as a kid thats not around anymore then its retro. Entirely subjective.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:41 am

FatTrucker wrote:If you're an adult and you can remember something you played with as a kid thats not around anymore then its retro. Entirely subjective.
But 99% of stuff IS still around, BMX Flyer? Zoids? Star Wars toys? ZX81? I'd say almost all the toys/games I ever played with are still obtainable at the right price

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:32 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
DoraemonTheCat wrote:Ok, let's officially make history and categorically state that the definition of "retro" is when a system is Two generations old. Meaning that when the next gen has finally arrived and in the shops, we CAN call the above mentioned three - retro.

Any reason why that can't work??
Because its wrong? Seems good enough reason to me. You're at least a generation short with that definition.
Sorry chief, I didn't know you were an authority on the subject.

Most other people on here believe that the definition of retro means "different things to different people" so can you correct them too.

Your not one of the VGA people, are you? :lol:

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:46 pm

Umm, you're the one tring to tie it down. I disagreed with your spec for that. That's all.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:01 pm

I do agree that the subjective answer to the question is by far the most diplomatic and sensible. It makes sense that different ages of people consider different gaming generations retro and by that definition there is no one definitive answer to the question.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:54 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Umm, you're the one tring to tie it down. I disagreed with your spec for that. That's all.
But you CAN'T say "because it is wrong" if there is no clearly defined answer. So my light hearted idea cannot be "wrong"

So there is no need for you to shoot it down.