The PS2/Xbox/Gamecube are not really retro.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

GigaPepsiMan

The PS2/Xbox/Gamecube are not really retro.

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:16 pm

I know we tend to define game consoles as retro through their age and them being discontinued but I feel like we need to come back to these 3 again, and maybe the Dreamcast too.

It's a weird one when you think about it, in 2006 the PS1, Saturn and N64 were all just over or around 10 years old and they seemed to be accepted by most as retro systems at the time, obviously 6 years later we can definitely call them retro in hindsight because of how video games have evolved, that generation in many ways was the last of its kind because three-dimensional games were a new thing and the technology and our knowledge of making games in 3D wasn't there yet.

Can't really say the same for the PS2, Xbox and Gamecube. I still play a lot of games on these systems, I play a lot of PC games that came out in that era and they don't really feel "old", okay so a lot of games from that era probably wouldn't get made today but the era as a whole still feels very fresh, maybe I just feel this way because of the wii prolonging the life of the PS2 or maybe it's because I'm almost 20 and it doesn't seem like that long ago that I was 10, I don't know.

I think that era was when video games really begun their "renaissance" period, I mean just look at the games that era gave us; Shenmue, Metroid Prime, Wind Waker, Silent Hill 2, everything capcom made, GTA San Andreas, MGS 2 & 3, Prince of Persia Sands, REZ, Half-Life 2 and a shed load of smaller titles that still hold together today.

So how do we class this period? As far as I am concerned a large number of these games are still relatively modern, even the "outdated" sports games still get a play, do you know how many people still play the old versions of Pro Evolution Soccer? Quite a few apparently.

koopa42

Re: The PS2/Xbox/Gamecube are not really retro.

Post by koopa42 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:18 pm

Xbox - no
GC - yes
PS2 - dunno

My personal feelings on them anyway

gman72

Post by gman72 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:25 pm

To me all three are retro. My feelings are well known on the subject and will not be moved.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:26 pm

They are all retro, no question about that.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:27 pm

Think if a systems 10 years old its retro in my view

I mean the original gameboy came out in 1990. When retro gamer started in 2002 it featured the GB. Okay not 10 years old, 12 but still close!

10 year rule for me

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:28 pm

They won't be retro for a while yet in my opinion.

Especially as the gap between console generations is growing larger with machines having a longer lifetime.

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:31 pm

psj3809 wrote:Think if a systems 10 years old its retro in my view

I mean the original gameboy came out in 1990. When retro gamer started in 2002 it featured the GB. Okay not 10 years old, 12 but still close!

10 year rule for me
Retro gamer started in 2004. Anyway the thing is in the 90's technology seemed to make incredible bounds in how quick it evolved, maybe the race towards the new millennium had something to do with it, it was an odd decade in many ways.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:33 pm

It's an interesting one. I definitely seem them as retro consoles (technology wise the ps2 is ancient now) but there's no denying they feel newer. We will obviously continue to cover them, but it will be kept to a minimum (no more than one article between all three systems per issue). It still feels too soon to do making ofs for example.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:34 pm

All three are too fresh in my mind for me to consider them as clearly defined "retro" platforms. The games from that generation can feel really dated though. I was playing Crimson Skies on the Xbox recently and it definitely felt like I was playing an old game. There was a bit of a retro vibe. It was definitely there.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:37 pm

GigaPepsiMan wrote:
psj3809 wrote:Think if a systems 10 years old its retro in my view

10 year rule for me
Retro gamer started in 2004. Anyway the thing is in the 90's technology seemed to make incredible bounds in how quick it evolved, maybe the race towards the new millennium had something to do with it, it was an odd decade in many ways.
Good shout. Some reason I thought it was 2002. Cool. 10 year RG anniversary coming up the !

sscott

Post by sscott » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:38 pm

Think they're about retro now but it really doesn't matter,the odd feature in the mag doesn't bother me either, it all depends on forum members ages maybe.

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:39 pm

The Beans wrote:All three are too fresh in my mind for me to consider them as clearly defined "retro" platforms. The games from that generation can feel really dated though. I was playing Crimson Skies on the Xbox recently and it definitely felt like I was playing an old game. There was a bit of a retro vibe. It was definitely there.
It does depend on the game really, it's easy to say that the best games from that era will be timeless in some ways that seems a bit obvious (then again look at had badly some classics from other generations of aged), I do think there are a lot of lesser known and even budget release games from the time that have aged pretty good like Bujingai on PS2 for example.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:42 pm

It's a bit crazy to think that the last game I played on the xbox (well the last one that made me think 's##t this looks the biz') was Black, I bet that looks ropey as now :oops:

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:44 pm

I don't mind seeing the classic games of these machines in the mag, but I wouldn't like to see run-of-the-mill titles appear (like we do with older systems)
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:46 pm

Is retro simply defined by age or the way the game plays?

For example, you play one of the countless fps on gc, ps2 or xbox and it won't feel like a very "retro" experience.
But the machines themselves are getting older very quickly and almost 2 generations back now. So they are undeniably "retro" machines.

Antiriad will no doubt claim the ps1 as non-retro, ostensibly because most of the games don't have that retro feel to them, ie it was the advent of the 3D era whether fps or tps.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords