The recent spike in ebay prices.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Megamixer

Re: The recent spike in ebay prices.

Post by Megamixer » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:59 pm

Just put your maximum bid in straight away. If it goes higher then you weren't prepared to pay that much anyway so it's no loss.

The one thing I still don't get is how people are dropping bigger and bigger amounts of cash on what is an unnecessary luxury when money is apparently much tighter these days. Are hardcore retro collectors a small pocket of people unnaffected by the state of the economy for some reason?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Prof Mango B Coconut

Post by Prof Mango B Coconut » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:49 pm

Megamixer wrote:The one thing I still don't get is how people are dropping bigger and bigger amounts of cash on what is an unnecessary luxury when money is apparently much tighter these days. Are hardcore retro collectors a small pocket of people unnaffected by the state of the economy for some reason?
Human behaviour is weird, but strangely predictable. There's a fantastic book called Predictably Irrational by Dan Ariely which goes into the detail about how we judge value - and it has very little to do with logic!
Suppose you were an idiot; suppose also that you were an XBox One owner. But I repeat myself.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:54 pm

GOTTA BUY EM ALL!!!
COLLECTORMON!!!!

Seriously I will never see the point in owning every single game and paying over the odds for each one.

I still get a bit iffy if somethings over a fiver.
If its a good game then why not? But rubbish ones?
SuperMan 64 seems to fetch a price that its definitely not worth

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:58 pm

DPrinny wrote: SuperMan 64 seems to fetch a price that its definitely not worth
It's like people are paying loads to get hold of it because it's awful. I'm trying to make sense of that but it isn't happening.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:00 pm

Megamixer wrote:
DPrinny wrote: SuperMan 64 seems to fetch a price that its definitely not worth
It's like people are paying loads to get hold of it because it's awful. I'm trying to make sense of that but it isn't happening.
One of the reasons why im glad I own a Everdrive 64 is right there

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:50 pm

I've noticed this myself a lot over the last few months, everything has spiked. Apart from AES games, they've dropped a little.

No idea why prices have skyrocketed, it does mean now that I can't really replace my SNES collection, I can't justify the £50+ per a boxed title.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:20 pm

the best part is that everything is available pretty much straight away

the worst part is most of it costs a bloomin fortune, having said that I wanted rainbow islands for the ms, got that coming as part of a bundle, in order to make back the rest of the cost of the bundle I have to do a little work, which is fine. its not like the work i do at my job (which is hard) this is more 'use brains and a little bit of selling technique, someone has fun and spends money on a hobby', its escapism. if i make a small profit then thats fun too but in no way expected or relied upon

James A

Post by James A » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:40 am

Megamixer wrote:Just put your maximum bid in straight away. If it goes higher then you weren't prepared to pay that much anyway so it's no loss.

The one thing I still don't get is how people are dropping bigger and bigger amounts of cash on what is an unnecessary luxury when money is apparently much tighter these days. Are hardcore retro collectors a small pocket of people unnaffected by the state of the economy for some reason?
Id say now that with the money being tight a lot of people are starting to come out of there shells as it eases up a bit. That maybe one reason prices are going up. The other one is that gaming is so more popular and you hear of these legendary games spoken in such awed terms that many people are desperate to play them. Main reason though is just greedy sellers ramping the prices up.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:50 am

I took a break from watching (=spending!) from around 2007-2009 whilst I was saving up for a house deposit and noticed that there had been a significant increase during the financial crisis, so I don't think it's as a result of us coming out of the recession, to be honest I think there's been a steady increase over the last 10 years.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

ootini

Post by ootini » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:34 am

I don't think its just ebay. I think the whole Retro thing has taken off in a big way recently.

Here in Ireland it was up until recently a network of traders operating though free advert/trading websites. I got so much stuff for very little but have notice a lot of people popping up expecting silly money for stuff that isn't really worth it.

One guy I encountered wanted €90-€100 for about 30 odd Commodore 64 Cassettes. When he did not get the price offers he claimed he'd just out them away for another 20 years and try again. Would probably be worth less cos the cassette tape is magnetic storage and deteriorates over time.

There is a retro store in Dublin that wants €50 for Super Metroid unboxed. €100 boxed. Its absolutely ridiculous as it only makes people think that their stuff is worth more than it is and pushes prices up.

kaiserspike

Post by kaiserspike » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:22 am

I'm from Ireland as well and the local store in Cork is a disgrace with the pricing,. They have hundreds of distinctly average games priced no less than €10 no matter the condition or the system, and anything even remotely famous or well known is priced about 5 or 6 times it's value. Final Fantasy VIII for €60? Get lost! Don't even get me started on their console/computer prices.
I usually end up trawling through cash converters as they have a reasonable price structure for second hand games.

This took the biscuit the other day, some woman was trying to sell me her original chipped X-box for €350!
Told her she was in dreamland and good luck with that.
People like her don't help the inflation situation at the mo'
Destiny!.... you cannot destroy my destiny!

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:37 am

James A wrote:On the other hand its amazing to see how much current games prices have crashed. Ive noticed recently how little Game and CEX will give for alot of current gen stuff
Yeah. I've started concentrating a lot more on picking up more recent stuff that I want (current or previous gen) rather than retro, because it's becoming pretty obvious that in 5 or 10 years time the situation is going to get even more ridiculous.

I'm surprised at how much certain Nintendo DS games have held their value, considering all the piracy with flashcarts/etc.

I'd like to get some more Sega Saturn games but I'm pretty much priced out of the market at the moment, and that's even with me already owning a few of the big titles like Panzer Dragoon Saga (which is already regularly selling for more that I paid for the whole Panzer Dragoon trilogy a couple of years back)
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:30 pm

well i went to crack converters today, they wanted £10 for the first wonder boy for the ms- cart only. nah.

managed to get a mint condition desert strike complete for £2.50

had to witness a scrote get kicked out and kick off with the store staff and almost kick off with another scrote

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:03 pm

ToxieDogg wrote:
James A wrote:On the other hand its amazing to see how much current games prices have crashed. Ive noticed recently how little Game and CEX will give for alot of current gen stuff
Yeah. I've started concentrating a lot more on picking up more recent stuff that I want (current or previous gen) rather than retro, because it's becoming pretty obvious that in 5 or 10 years time the situation is going to get even more ridiculous.

I'm surprised at how much certain Nintendo DS games have held their value, considering all the piracy with flashcarts/etc.

I'd like to get some more Sega Saturn games but I'm pretty much priced out of the market at the moment, and that's even with me already owning a few of the big titles like Panzer Dragoon Saga (which is already regularly selling for more that I paid for the whole Panzer Dragoon trilogy a couple of years back)

Never seems to be any middle ground with Saturn games - either really cheap or insanely expensive

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:18 pm

Can somebody explain to me what a Shill Bidder is please?

The prices are ridiculous now. I am trying to rebuild my Amiga collection and I've seen the likes of Turrican II and Another World selling for £100 each.
Now as much as I love those games, there is no way I'm spending that sort of money on them.