The recent spike in ebay prices.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

GigaPepsiMan

The recent spike in ebay prices.

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:45 am

I know people have been talking about this in other threads but I feel the issue needs it's own thread.

So what's going on with them recently, auction prices have been going completely bonkers and I'm seeing games that I've owned in the past sell for prices that I would never ever consider paying.
5 years ago I was lucky to get Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance off play.com for £30, I later sold it to a friend for around the same price when I decided to sell my collection and use the money for other interests.
2 years after selling and well:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fire-Emblem-P ... 232b6ab432
Speaks for itself really.

I understand how supply and demand works and I understand that some times a person will want something really bad but goddamn those prices are crazy, I still can't fathom how it has come to that. I suppose in the case of path of radiance the popularity of Fire Emblem Awakening on 3DS has played a part in bringing that about, even fire emblem radiant dawn, a game that you used to be able to pick up easily at game station 2 for £20 has been jumping above and below the £50 mark.

It's happening with other games, someone I know just showed me this.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CONKERS-BAD-F ... fresh=true

It's weird how a few years ago I saw it in CEX for £30 (which I thought was a bit deer) and now it's selling for over £100.

Rayne

Re: The recent spike in ebay prices.

Post by Rayne » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:50 am

It really is ridiculous. At one time I had a loose SNES collection and a GameCube collection - both compromising of each respective system's most popular titles.

I spent about £120 on my SNES collection and had multiple copies of Mario, Mario Kart, Kirby, Zelda LTTP, Metroid, Castlevania, etc.

I spent about £200 on my GameCube collection and had Skies of Arcadia, Tales of Symphonia, Zelda Twilight Princess, MGS Twin Snakes, etc.

If I were to sell those same collections today I'd easily get double the amounts I spent just a few years ago. The spike is totally insane :o it's even affecting lesser systems. Mega Drive games for example were a pound apiece, they've now jumped to between £7 upward, with popular titles like Sonic, Comix Zone & Gunstar Heroes fetching a lot more.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:04 am

It's crazy, glad I'm done with collecting since I finally finished up my Master System collection a couple of weeks back.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:07 am

It does not help when there are guys like dear old Spence.77 around, who helped push up the prices of Mega CD games, and now seems to be trying to do the same with some N64 ones.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CONKERS-BAD-F ... 9589211%26

I particularly like his completely crushed Resident Evil 2 for £90!

I was trying to get a good collection of Amstrad Disk games, and for a while I was doing well, got around 175 of them for as little as a couple of quid to a tenner, then a seller shows up charging £99.99 for a copy of Lemmings, and a whole bunch of other ludicrously overpriced titles, and all of a sudden more sellers followed suit, and for a while there was a massive hike in the prices, they have started to come down again, but it was unbelievable for a few weeks.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:57 am

Part of it is supply and demand, more collectors owning rarer titles, so fewer coming up for sale which inflates prices when they do as retro gaming has seen a bit of a spike in recent years meaning more buyers.

Part of it is to do with the way a lot of sellers do business on ebay these days. A lot of expensive auctions are buffed by shill accounts owned by the seller or friends of the seller and don't actually result in a transaction.

Part of it is deluded sellers sticking stuff on at a speculative price.

Part of it is that a lot of new retro gamers are people who were kids/teens in the 90's who are now hitting their late 20's and early 30's buying back the games they had as kids which will be Snes/MD/PS1/N64 again more buyers than sellers inflates prices.

Lastly, not everything is sold at its auction price. Its worth looking at actual sold prices, cancelled auctions, ended with no sale, second chance offers etc to get a clearer picture. Surprising number of 'sold' items reappear from the same seller on the original or another account.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

James A

Post by James A » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:29 pm

Ive found im keeping less retro game stuff that I pick up due to the stupid prices people are paying. I always put them on for 99p but in the last year its got stupid what people will pay for stuff. Three years ago I sold a SNES with 5 good games including Starfox & Mariokart and got £25 now that would be easily be pushing £60+.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:27 pm

It's an interesting topic and one I certainly don't know the answer to but can speculate. It seems to me that retro gaming is on the rise and recent backlash towards MS has possibly fueled this further. Also it could be that younger gamers that only got into gaming during the PS2/Xbox era are adults now and are interested in exploring older titles.
Greedy sellers don't help also but if you are patient you can still get things cheap as I have done plenty of times.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

sscott

Post by sscott » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:31 pm

I stopped buying from ebay about 6 months ago, sellers (particularly 'business sellers) have gone to far on the inherent 'worth' of a game. These investments are really just lumps of mass produced plastic after all, if it continues and people abstain then hopefully it will level off. I just think its a product of everyone buying/selling to make a profit, naturally over time prices will then inflate and you will have a strange housing type collapse where nobody is buying, maybe?

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:56 pm

sscott wrote:I stopped buying from ebay about 6 months ago, sellers (particularly 'business sellers) have gone to far on the inherent 'worth' of a game. These investments are really just lumps of mass produced plastic after all, if it continues and people abstain then hopefully it will level off. I just think its a product of everyone buying/selling to make a profit, naturally over time prices will then inflate and you will have a strange housing type collapse where nobody is buying, maybe?

I'm thinking the same thing, since it's just too expensive for me to be buying SNES games right now (recently saw Mario Kart box and instructions reach nearly £20). Also getting pretty fed up of obvious shill bidders and snipers

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:16 am

SHill bidders are annoying. Definitley became more of a problem when the identity of bidders was anonimised by ebay a few years back.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:45 am

I started buying retro stuff in 2003 and it was a similar story then, back then it was gamestation as ebay wasnt as popular as it is now, they would pay decent amounts for retro stuff cos they knew they could encourage sellers in and make a decent amount, i remember buying snes games for £1.50 elsewhere, selling them there for £8-10, this was mainly mario and variants of street fighter, although i had a complete cannon fodder with box and instructions and when i sold my snes in 2008 i got about £30 for the console, cannon fodder, mario all stars, mario world and sensible soccer (although all the rest were cart only)

trouble is now there are sellers that want £20 for a bashed in copy of sonic 1 on md with no box or instructions, i have it on the ps2 mega drive collection which was £4 including delivery (and has loads of other stuff on as well)

James A

Post by James A » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:42 am

On the other hand its amazing to see how much current games prices have crashed. Ive noticed recently how little Game and CEX will give for alot of current gen stuff

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:58 am

James A wrote:On the other hand its amazing to see how much current games prices have crashed. Ive noticed recently how little Game and CEX will give for alot of current gen stuff
i bought gt5 the other week for £5, i have 20 year old games i have paid more than that for and i dont spend big

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:35 am

Make me think of how I wish more console games would be ported to PC. Could you imagine being able to buy rare expensive console exclusives on steam? It would be amazing and no one would ever have to miss out on them again.

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:11 pm

learnedrobb wrote:SHill bidders are annoying. Definitley became more of a problem when the identity of bidders was anonimised by ebay a few years back.
True, and in my experience, even though shill bidding is very widespread, eBay seemingly fail to do much about it (which makes sense, as they more money an item sells for, the more they receive in their Final Value fees)

I found one seller who at the time had over twenty items listed. On every single item (some of which were not even game related - shoes, jewellery etc, etc..) the same bidder ID came up. Yes, they may be partially hidden, but there are always two characters of the members ID and the feedback score of that particular user.

It was reported but eBay seemingly did very little.

Rule of thumb for me now - I will not ever bid on any item if it has been listed under the PRIVATE LISTING clause. There is simply no reason (in the case of videogames / consoles) to use the PRIVATE feature unless you have something to hide.

I also (wrongly) assumed that the market for the NES and MasterSystem would eventually bottom out and/or collapse. I mean, most buyers that are trying to "recapture their youth" and buy the systems/games they had when they were younger - surely must be getting on a bit now, And as they start reaching their 40's, I would have thought that their priorities would change and fewer people would be interested in buying/collecting for those respective systems.