ET Graveyard to be excavated!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Kilb

Re: ET Graveyard to be excavated!

Post by Kilb » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:41 am

Does anyone know if Howard Scott Warshaw has commented on this yet?
It's such a shame as the Raiders game was also found. People forget quickly that he was a very talented programmer.

I had a quick look on his website, but my head started spinning from all the New Age dogma on there.

(Side question:- How long can it be called, 'New Age' for?)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:02 am

Have we found a couple of boxes here, or is it the thousands of boxes the myth spoke of? A couple of boxes doesn't really fit the myth that they had so much surplus ET they buried it. So far it just confirms what was known, that they dumped random junk.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:18 am

Now to fill the hole with sports games

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:27 am

DPrinny wrote:Coming soon to Ebay...............
someone has done it already, its a hoax by a guy in nottingham

for attention most likely

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:59 am

Lots of people are reporting that the "Atari Landfill Myth" was true when it wasn't. The myth is that Atari buried millions of E.T. cartridges in the New Mexico desert. The truth is exactly what Atari said it was all those years ago, random junk and unsold stock, including a number of different games.

It all matches what was described in Marty Goldberg and Curt Vendel's Atari book. One of the people from Atari who was responsible for the original burial was there, as well has Howard Scott Warshaw himself, and he saw it all and confirmed it was exactly what he said it was. There were a few E.T. cartridges but it was mostly other stuff. They took some carefully selected pictures to fuel the media but this is what they really found:

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:19 pm

SOMEBODY SAVE THAT WARLORDS CART!!

big mean bunny

Post by big mean bunny » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:36 pm

DPrinny wrote:Now to fill the hole with sports games

The other day me and my mate went on a jaunt through the charity shops of Sheffield and I mentioned that charity shops seem to be where old football games go to die. This was back up by the car boot I visited today.
Episode 14 now out 14th of Sept - Sega Mega drive £25 games challenge

Invert Y gaming podcast - the only way to play, news, chat and challenges, by gamers, for gamers.

http://invertypodcast.podomatic.com or Invert Y on iTunes

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:52 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Have we found a couple of boxes here, or is it the thousands of boxes the myth spoke of? A couple of boxes doesn't really fit the myth that they had so much surplus ET they buried it. So far it just confirms what was known, that they dumped random junk.
They were only digging through the original, unconcreted location in the dump site. The majority of the dumped items were buried under concrete to prevent looting after reports that the first dumps were picked over by people breaking into the site back in 1983. So there's still a LOT of stuff still there, whether we see it or not is another matter.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

retrosofer

Post by retrosofer » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:00 pm

Mayhem wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:Have we found a couple of boxes here, or is it the thousands of boxes the myth spoke of? A couple of boxes doesn't really fit the myth that they had so much surplus ET they buried it. So far it just confirms what was known, that they dumped random junk.
They were only digging through the original, unconcreted location in the dump site. The majority of the dumped items were buried under concrete to prevent looting after reports that the first dumps were picked over by people breaking into the site back in 1983. So there's still a LOT of stuff still there, whether we see it or not is another matter.
^^What Mayhem just said.

The Laird wrote:They won't find anything other than a load of broken old computer parts and some crushed ROM chips.

This urban myth was debunked years ago and covered in detail in the recent Atari book.
You were wrong then, they found more than just crushed ROM chips.

ALK

Post by ALK » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:08 pm

big mean bunny wrote:
DPrinny wrote:Now to fill the hole with sports games

The other day me and my mate went on a jaunt through the charity shops of Sheffield and I mentioned that charity shops seem to be where old football games go to die. This was back up by the car boot I visited today.
Having worked in charity shops before, they go to die in the charity shop bins out back once they never sell.

I'm certain every landfill had a Mount EA Sports within them... XD
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

merman

Post by merman » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:41 am

As they only had one day to dig, they were never going to prove the exact amount of carts dumped there. It's more about publicising the documentary (and the delivery channel it is on) than any real historical significance...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:12 pm

It's a nice story and fair play to Microsoft, there was an interview on radio 4 this morning and they managed an entire section on videogames without descending into censorship/ violence etc. which is a nice change in the mainstream media. I'd rather see stuff like this than naff films based on games.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:45 pm

merman wrote:As they only had one day to dig, they were never going to prove the exact amount of carts dumped there. It's more about publicising the documentary (and the delivery channel it is on) than any real historical significance...
They were only allowed one day to dig, and only allowed to take away 250 carts - this is more bureaucracy from the local government (and their worries about the dangers of digging around in an old tip) than anything else.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

martyg

Post by martyg » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:00 pm

Not really on here anymore, but wanted to quickly pop on about the dig and some of the comments/questions here. I was invited down to participate (as in help out, not just watch) but couldn't make it. I still sent my ROM switching cart for them to use to test any 2600 ROMs they needed to and was in contact all weekend including with the ex-Atari employees that went.

1) Mayhem is right about the location being the area surrounding the concrete cap, however it should be interesting to note that a lot of the kids who originally looted were actually there this weekend as well (with the carts they originally took and/or ROM chips taken from crushed carts) and many are now city officials. :)

2) Some of the important ex-Atarians there were of course Howard Scott Warshaw, Jerry Jessop, and Jim Heller. Jim was probably the most important, he was the Atari person responsible for the dumping and the eventual steamrolling and covering with concrete. Jim brought with him the original paperwork, which verified there were only 728,000 games dumped there. Not "millions" and only a small portion of those were ET. The rest of the truckloads were the previously mentioned consoles, computers, peripherals and parts.

3) There was a team of actual archeologists leading the dig efforts (volunteers from various universities).

4) In total there were 21+ titles cataloged from the dig (I'm still waiting for the final list) and it included Atari 5200 titles as well.There was also various peripherals recovered in the day's dig as well.

5) Also verified: This was not a dump trying to hide mass amounts of Atari's stock from it's warehouses. This was all returned stock from retailers, and many of the individual items still had the shrink wrap and store price tags on them. For those not familiar, Atari did not ship games shrink wrapped, those were usually added on by retailers when the items were to be put on the shelves. Rather, large shipping boxes full of an individual title were shipped to retailers, and many of these large retailer boxes can be seen in the photos as well. It verifies another thing as well that we were told repeatedly during interviews and wrote about: Atari Inc. had nothing in place for returns (return of unsold stock by retailers for credit), because they hadn't dealt with the notion of that before. The El Paso plant was also the Atari Service Center hub, so these returns were simply marked off as "defective units" and given to the Service Center hub for disposal. It matched up exactly with what officials were stating at the time.

6) We were just as surprised at the relatively good condition of a lot of the materials recovered. However they weren't as good as many of you are taking them as. A lot of the cartridge casings were warped (can't tell if it's from the original crushing or just from the elements) and the actual electronics in them were very corroded. The team responsible for testing the sample of games that were kept couldn't get any to work at the time (Saturday night and Sunday), including after desoldering the game ROMs from the PCBs and putting them in my ROM switching cartridge.

http://ataribook.com/book/AtariRomSwitc ... ldberg.jpg
Marty

ClassicGaming.Com
Atari Gaming Headquarters - http://www.atarihq.com
Midwest Gaming Classic - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com
Electronic Entertainment Museum (E2M)
Syzygy Company - http://www.syzygycompany.com/

zapiy

Post by zapiy » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:50 am

This is a fascinating story and i really can not wait to read more..

Will they be digging up the concreted area?