ET Graveyard to be excavated!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

ipmarks

ET Graveyard to be excavated!

Post by ipmarks » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:35 pm

Someone showed me this piece of interesting news...
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news ... vated.html

I hope it is true and they find them all... would like to see that.
It's a p-poor game, but probably not the worst ever... I've got it for the Atari VCS and it really is bonkers - makes no sense at all, dropping down big holes to find bits of phone. Madness.

koopa42

Re: ET Graveyard to be excavated!

Post by koopa42 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:36 pm

ET is dead!?!?! gutted, I didn't know :(

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:46 pm

They won't find anything other than a load of broken old computer parts and some crushed ROM chips.

This urban myth was debunked years ago and covered in detail in the recent Atari book.
Last edited by The Laird on Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:48 pm

I was heartened to read the article having stated.
The team is hoping to conclusively prove whether unsold copies of E.T. were really buried near...
The assumption many E.T. game cartridges are buried there has turned into the kind of urban legend to rival 'NES saved videogaming', etc.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:52 pm

I read somewhere that all remaining copies of Rise of the Robots are all buried under Milton Keynes.

ipmarks

Post by ipmarks » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:54 pm

The Laird wrote:They won't find anything other than a load of broken old computer parts and some crushed ROM chips.

This urban myth was debunked years ago and covered in detail in the recent Atari book.

One so called "reputable" retro gaming site has even reported that there are long lost protos in there to be discovered :roll:
I'm sure you are right, and it's all untrue. But it's quite fun to imagine a huge hoard of VCS cartridges in a big pit. If it was me I'd have buried VCS Pac Man first, now there is a bad game. Not only poor gameplay, but so flickery it brings on migraines.

dste

Post by dste » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:58 pm

How long before damaged E.T. carts appear on E-bay as mega rare dug up from ground. :lol:
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:01 pm

DoraemonTheCat wrote:I read somewhere that all remaining copies of Rise of the Robots are all buried under Milton Keynes.
:lol:

I read somewhere that Blaze buried all the remaining GameGadgets in Abergavenny and that Nintendo fed all the remaining Virtual Boys to the Komodo dragons of Cincinnati Zoo.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:37 pm

Mattel tried to fling their unsold Hyperscans straight into the pits of Hell but Beelzebub himself threw them straight back stating that even he has standards, y'know?

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:22 am

I just want to know if it's true.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:29 am

The Laird wrote:They won't find anything other than a load of broken old computer parts and some crushed ROM chips.

One so called "reputable" retro gaming site has even reported that there are long lost protos in there to be discovered :roll:
It's all necessary misinformation to disguise the fact it's the real grave of Elvis, the real assassin of JFK.

Something will stop the site being excavated. It's just too big to allow.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:30 am

My money is on Lord Lucan riding Shergar

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:30 am

If that site is the one I just viewed then pretty much every sentence of the associated article was supposition, somewhat spurious and/or factually incorrect. Embarrassing.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:42 pm

This is the problem with urban myths, they morph into something different.
Last edited by The Laird on Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:55 pm

The Laird wrote:Yeah, it's not the first time either, which probably means we are talking about the same site :wink:
Great to see that the highly esteemed published author and expert Atari historian Marty Goldberg has since corrrected them. :D

http://www.retrocollect.com/News/infamo ... vated.html