Rose-tinted glasses - you chose the 100 worst retro games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Fri May 18, 2007 6:08 am

Atari 8Bit Rampage, absolute $h!#@

No gameplay,
No graphics,
No good!!!!

Argo

Post by Argo » Fri May 18, 2007 11:00 am

Worst game ever..... Mikey on speccy and C64. It came on that compilation with Yie Ar Kung Fu and Green Beret. Utter dogpoo

Emperor Fossil

Post by Emperor Fossil » Fri May 18, 2007 1:07 pm

forestville wrote:98 After Burner for the Amiga this was a very poor conversion it had that nasty border around the gameplay area, it was just a load of trash compared to the arcade version :)

Might be worth specifying the UK version on the list when it goes in the mag, as the US version, although not too hot itself, was at least a marked improvement over the awful UK one.

merman

Post by merman » Fri May 18, 2007 6:54 pm

Argo wrote:Worst game ever..... Mikey on speccy and C64. It came on that compilation with Yie Ar Kung Fu and Green Beret. Utter dogpoo
Not only do I disagree with you on that, you spelt it wrong... it's Mikie.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri May 18, 2007 9:15 pm

merman wrote:
Argo wrote:Worst game ever..... Mikey on speccy and C64. It came on that compilation with Yie Ar Kung Fu and Green Beret. Utter dogpoo
Not only do I disagree with you on that, you spelt it wrong... it's Mikie.

I agree , especially with the excellent C64 version with it's thumping good soundtrack... butI gues s everyone's entitled to their own opinion

I actually thought Yie Ar Kung Fu was quite an overrated game actually
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Wed May 23, 2007 8:06 am

56 ->"Lords of Midnight" - It was the next big thing at the time. But I found it all a bit confusing, then boring really!!

So can I have this as entry 56... :x
Last edited by GarryG on Wed May 23, 2007 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed May 23, 2007 8:15 am

GarryG wrote:"Lords of Midnight" - It was the next big thing at the time. But I found it all a bit confusing, then boring really!!
+
65. Dragon's Lair - Arcade
64. Golden Eye - N64
63. Ecco the Dolphin - MegaDrive
57. Thunderblade - [8-bit]
This really is the most bizarre "100 worst retro games" ever.

*sigh*
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

DanDare

Post by DanDare » Wed May 23, 2007 12:34 pm

If this is still going, and if GarryG's selection is 56 then...

55 - Gary Lineker's Super Skills (C64)

Awful game with very little point. I can't remember if there was actually any football involved, but I'm sure there wasn't. All you had to do was various gym tasks like press ups and weight lifting

The problem with it is there was no sense of competition. No reason for you to suffer a dislocated shoulder through waggling the joystick so fast that it's a blur. Ultimately, there is no craft nor skill involved. I just gave it another go, it still sucks.
Last edited by DanDare on Thu May 24, 2007 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Penultimate Ninja

Post by The Penultimate Ninja » Thu May 24, 2007 4:25 am

CraigGrannell wrote: This really is the most bizarre "100 worst retro games" ever.

*sigh*
I agree. It's becoming the "100 retro games you didn't like so much, thought were a little overrated or got confused with a different game of the same name".

Do you think that can fit in the title?

Please, if you're going to post a suggestion, read post#1 first:
CraigGrannell wrote:A couple of things to bear in mind: 1) the list should stick to games that were commercially released; 2) the games shouldn't just be stuff you didn't like all that much, but ones that are so staggeringly bad that they make you think sticking forks in your eyeballs would be preferable to playing them.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu May 24, 2007 5:54 am

Mm, exactly. By way of comparison:

As a youngster, I bought Space Harrier for the C64. It was a bit "meh", and I didn't like it all that much, so it really shouldn't be on this list.

A few months later, a mate of mine with a Speccy was raving about Turbo Esprit, which he'd picked up on budget. I'd not seen any reviews of this (although Zzap! would later chime in with a rating of about 10% for the disastrous conversion), but picked it up anyway—on the C64. It was utter, utter sh*t—one of the worst games I've ever played, with no redeeming features whatsoever (bar, perhaps, the case, which you could pretend was a flat, rectangular Pac-Man). That's the sort of game we should be talking about here, rather than things people thought would be good and that were merely not that good.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Thu May 24, 2007 6:47 am

Well I stand by the fact that IMO Lords of Midnight was crap and unplayable.
I relise that this wasn't the norm, and that lots of people raved over this game... (and some still do :roll: )

Ok if that isn't realy what you want I stand by my first submision of 'Rampage' for the Atari 8Bit range.

Like your C64 Turbo Esprit, this was truly dier. So can you change my number 56 entry to this!

merman

Post by merman » Thu May 24, 2007 7:13 am

GarryG wrote:Well I stand by the fact that IMO Lords of Midnight was crap and unplayable.
I relise that this wasn't the norm, and that lots of people raved over this game... (and some still do :roll: )

Ok if that isn't realy what you want I stand by my first submision of 'Rampage' for the Atari 8Bit range.

Like your C64 Turbo Esprit, this was truly dier. So can you change my number 56 entry to this!
Lords of Midnight is NOT unplayable. Maybe to someone who had a "backup" copy and somehow didn't keep the instructions ;) Maybe to someone who doesn't like strategy games. But it is still a classic - the landscaping system is VERY clever, and cramming so many locations into the Speccy was a miracle.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

DanDare

Post by DanDare » Thu May 24, 2007 8:25 am

I urge anyone who wants to tell me I'm wrong about my suggestion to go and play it :P

The Penultimate Ninja

Post by The Penultimate Ninja » Thu May 24, 2007 9:11 am

DanDare wrote:I urge anyone who wants to tell me I'm wrong about my suggestion to go and play it :P
I don't think anyone has a problem with your submission, you've done a good job of describing why you think it's so awful. I've never played it so I can't comment.

There have been a couple dodgy ones that basically amount to someone saying "lots of people liked it but I thought it was overatted" or words to that effect.
There's even one game nominated because someone bought the wrong game and were disappointed when they didn't get what they were expecting! :?

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu May 24, 2007 9:58 am

Gary Lineker's Super Skills wasn't particularly bad (it had decent graphics and was well programmed), but it was utterly, hopelessly pointless, and on that basis alone, I'm happy for it to be in the list. However, I find it pretty hard to believe anyone could justify Lords of Midnight being rubbish. Frankly, it's not my cup of tea in the slightest; similarly, I really don't care for The Sentinel. However, despite not being a fan of the games, I recognise their worth and can see the positive aspects of them.

What I'm hoping for as we hit the next 50 of this list is a selection of games where there's literally no defence—games so appallingly bad that you were sorely tempted to track down the programmer and make him or her eat the cassette or disk. Oh, and more reasoning would be good. "I think game 'x' is rubbish" isn't that thrilling to read, but some of the more extensive posts on this thread have been quite entertaining!