Rose-tinted glasses - you chose the 100 worst retro games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
The Penultimate Ninja
Posts: 631
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:49 am
Location: Birmingham

Re:

Post by The Penultimate Ninja » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:22 pm

will2097 wrote: and (if I'm allowed) I want to nomiate
Just the one nomination per person, unfortunately.

User avatar
will2097
Posts: 3909
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:24 pm
Location: Cambridgeshire
Contact:

Re:

Post by will2097 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:28 pm

The Penultimate Ninja wrote:
will2097 wrote: and (if I'm allowed) I want to nomiate
Just the one nomination per person, unfortunately.

...:( Alfred Hitchcock then... (but someone please nominate Plumbers Don't wear ties - please!!!!)

User avatar
Nightbreed
Posts: 168
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:05 am
Location: Irlam, Manchester

Post by Nightbreed » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:10 pm

[86]

Ghostbusters 2 is a complete and utter abomination of a game that starts off with a crappy ''Swing about on a rope for 5 minutes whilst not having any control whatsoever'' sewer shaft section, then gets rapidly worse with the remaining 2 mini games.

The game based on the first film was released 5 years prior and was 3 times the game that this load of old donkeys testicles ever was.

Oh yes....I am on about the C64 version, but I dont think the other versions were much cop either. :roll: :roll:
Bring back Thingy and Rockford!!! Zzap 64 liberation front!!! :):):)

User avatar
Elgin_McQueen
Posts: 6745
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:08 am
Location: Elgin, Scotland

Re:

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:37 am

Nightbreed wrote:[86]

Ghostbusters 2 is a complete and utter abomination of a game that starts off with a crappy ''Swing about on a rope for 5 minutes whilst not having any control whatsoever'' sewer shaft section, then gets rapidly worse with the remaining 2 mini games.

The game based on the first film was released 5 years prior and was 3 times the game that this load of old donkeys testicles ever was.

Oh yes....I am on about the C64 version, but I dont think the other versions were much cop either. :roll: :roll:
Speccy version of Ghostbusters 2 was pretty much the same.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Image
Image

User avatar
Kaptain_Von
Posts: 432
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:31 am

Post by Kaptain_Von » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:00 am

(85)Starburst on the C16/+4 gets my nomination. Even to this day I am still at a loss as to just what this game is all about. It seems like someone had this great idea...\"Let's make a weird and wonderful game just like that wacky Jeff Minter guy!\". Only problem was they forgot that Jeff wrote fairly playable games unlike this unplayable mess with its grindingly bad sound and utterly mystifyingly appalling gameplay. Avoid at all costs unless you plan to buy all the copies you can and set fire to them somewhere.
Cue the music, fade to black...
----------------------------------------------------------
http://kaptainskonfessions.blogspot.com/

HEAVYface
Posts: 1114
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:48 am

Post by HEAVYface » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:53 am

84 - Transmuter - codemasters - amstrad cpc. for those who didn't 'play' this game, it was supposed to be a scrolling shooter.

a pre-requisite of which you'd think would be some nice scrolling. it didn't.(scroll properly, that is) the screen gets nudged in large lethargic increments like it just can't be bothered, because the next thing that jerks into view'll be censored anyway.

another must, you'd think is good collision detection. the hit box on the spaceship was about 5 times the size of the visible sprite.

keep the first two points in mind, because the true genius of this game is in this design decision, it makes you navigate tight corridors barely bigger than the ship sprite. frustrating? highly. worth playing? no.


utter crap, it was just a complete mess of a game, obviously knocked out in a couple of weeks. cost me a couple of quid, gutted and appalled.

psj3809
Posts: 18844
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:28 am

Post by psj3809 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:46 am

83 - Fat Worm Blows a Sparky - Durrell

The game i really cant stand, saved up for ages back then as a kid to buy this and it was dire. One of the few Crash Smashes i 100% didnt agree with, after their earlier great games i was so looking forward to this, terrible graphics, boring gameplay, just a poor poor game

User avatar
felgekarp
Posts: 9351
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 11:47 am
Location: Earth 3

Re:

Post by felgekarp » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

HEAVYface wrote:85 - Transmuter - codemasters - amstrad cpc. for those who didn't 'play' this game, it was supposed to be a scrolling shooter.

a pre-requisite of which you'd think would be some nice scrolling. it didn't.(scroll properly, that is) the screen gets nudged in large lethargic increments like it just can't be bothered, because the next thing that jerks into view'll be censored anyway.

another must, you'd think is good collision detection. the hit box on the spaceship was about 5 times the size of the visible sprite.

keep the first two points in mind, because the true genius of this game is in this design decision, it makes you navigate tight corridors barely bigger than the ship sprite. frustrating? highly. worth playing? no.


utter crap, it was just a complete mess of a game, obviously knocked out in a couple of weeks. cost me a couple of quid, gutted and appalled.
I used to like Transmuter :D
Splink!

psj3809
Posts: 18844
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:28 am

Re:

Post by psj3809 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:57 am

felgekarp wrote:I used to like Transmuter :D
Didnt play this back in the day but after reading about a 'horizontal shoot em up Nemesis style game' i was shown this one, i SOOO want to like it with the power ups etc, but the way it chugs along, the way the screen scrolls and the terrible collision detection i'm not a fan of this one at all

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26810
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:59 am

I rather enjoyed Fat Worm. It was different from anything else, it demanded you tackle it in a slow and steady manner, planning ahead for what was to come. A strange release from Durell perhaps and I can see why fans of their other games may not find it attractive, but as a game its ok.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
MattC
Posts: 331
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:12 am

Post by MattC » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:58 am

I hate to question the numeracy skills of the members here, but we're actually on number 82 now.

Or did you all ignore my nomination for a reason?

User avatar
woody.cool
Posts: 8809
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:29 am
Location: Northampton, UK
Contact:

Post by woody.cool » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:02 pm

82: Rise Of The Robots: Amiga & Amiga CD32

Image

I cannot believe this game even got released - it's slow, buggy, unplayable.
It seems very dull and completely unexciting.

Upon booting up the game, it looked kinda impressive to star off with, the grapics look superb:
Image
but unfortunatly the experience is completely different.....

Gutted!!! That's all I can was - gutted!!!

This game must have been distruted/bundled with the CD32 because of not being a good seller!!!

User avatar
smila
Posts: 346
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:08 pm

Post by smila » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:30 am

81 - pacman on the 2600 .

he looked nothing like pacman , the sprites flickered and the sound was abysmal.
**********************
god created the sid chip so hubbard could make music

User avatar
Sabreman
Posts: 859
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:09 pm
Location: The Diabolical Demon Director
Contact:

Post by Sabreman » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:26 pm

80 - Molecule Man - Spectrum.

What a ghastly experience this was. I was always a fan of the isometric adventures, counting Head Over Heels, Batman and The Great Escape among my favourites. This budget offering turned up from Mastertronic, and despite being a generally skint kid I took a chance on it.

Awful, slow-moving characters, acres of pointless repetitive screens and overwhelmingly iffy collision detection were just the start. And those were the good points. It was also teeth-grindingly frustrating. I don't think I ever got very far before either failing or turning it off.

It's probably not the worst game I've ever played - I think it even got half-decent reviews - but I always remember it as something really disappointing and a game that I genuinely hated back in the day.

User avatar
Lord Innit
Posts: 659
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Bexhill-on-Sea

Post by Lord Innit » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:46 pm

79-Out Run on the Amiga.
The ferrari looked as though it was drawn from memory and the frame rate was very poor for the time,especially when compared to the Lotus games.It wasn't even anywhere near as good as the Master System version.Worst waste of money I ever suffered.[/b]

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests