Best Packaging For A Game

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

paranoid marvin

Best Packaging For A Game

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:22 pm

Over the years,we've had plenty of different attempts by games manufacturers for us to buy their products

Rather than the generic DVD case with instruction book with seems to be de rigeur for all software nowadays , companies used to be quite innovative with their products in their attempts to make their game stand out

The Ultimate boxes were particular favourites of mine,with cryptic riddles instead of instructions - also the Infocom adventures, although packaged in standard boxes,always included lots of extras in the packaging to get you in the right frame of mind for the adventure ahead ,one of my favourites being the belly-button fluff with HHGTTG.

Microprose games were also good value for money,esp their flight sims with the enormous manuals, which not only included instructions on how to operate the vehicle , but also gave weapons info,tactics,historical facts etc - compare this to the flimsy manuals you get with todays games.Back then you really felt you were getting value for money

In those days,if you just got a pirate copy ,you were missing out on half the fun
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Mayhem

Re: Best Packaging For A Game

Post by Mayhem » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:53 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:In those days,if you just got a pirate copy ,you were missing out on half the fun
Which is why often today, the games with the nice packaging as you mentioned are the ones that go for money on eBay.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Antiriad2097

Re: Best Packaging For A Game

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:35 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:one of my favourites being the belly-button fluff with HHGTTG.
Wasn't it pocket fluff from your dressing gown?

I loved the Microprose series. Reading the manuals really did help the game, by both teaching you the tactics of the craft you were in and immersing you in the world with its history and details of armaments etc. It may have been vectors on screen but it was a fully realised combat zone in my head.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:53 pm

Pretty versons of cases, like the Viva Pinata collectors edition are all very well but I tend to prefer they actually fit on my shelf.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

GetDexter

Post by GetDexter » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:11 pm

I was gutted when PC games suddenly changed from nice big boxes (Civilisation, Ultima Underworld, Wing Commander) to the now DVD size cases. Forgetting all the practical arguments for having smaller boxes (less shelf space etc), I just loved those big boxes with all the additional guides and extras we used to get.

When did that changeover happen? Was it late 90's or so that it all when DVD case up ?
As requested by the Tw@t himself - his account was Hijacked and has had a change of password.

Sorry Dexter!

Freshmetal

Post by Freshmetal » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:31 pm

There are some really nice \"special edition\" DVD cases around. The special editions of Silent Hill 2 and Resident Evil 4 on PS2 are really nice, as was Morrowind on PC.

Sabreman

Post by Sabreman » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:49 pm

I'm very fond of the old big box PC games too, though with it being a standard size if a game didn't have loads of extra gubbins it was always so tragic to hear and see that little jewel case and pamphlet rattling about in there.

Personal favourites have got to be the Ultimas. Cloth maps, trinkets, background books and nice chunky manuals make me go all a-quiver. From the 8-bit days the Microprose packages for sure (especially Gunship), and things like Elite obviously. Driller impressed me with its DIY moon map.

I always did like those cases that Ultimate and Gargoyle tended to use too.

Elgin_McQueen

Re:

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:53 pm

Dudley wrote:Pretty versons of cases, like the Viva Pinata collectors edition are all very well but I tend to prefer they actually fit on my shelf.
The main reason I didn't buy the Event Horizon DVD box I just saw in HMV.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

James A

Post by James A » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:56 am

I like the metal special edition cases that some of the 360 and PS2 games come in.

One of my favourite ones though is the symphony of the night set for the PS1 with the music CD and artwork book in. Added even more class to an excellent game.

bolda

Post by bolda » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:21 am

From the ST days...

- Microprose Golf - Nice big box, containing 6 course maps (colour on glossy card... expensive!), a club distance chart and a hefty manual
- Frontier : Elite 2 - Included galactic star chart, nice instruction manual and \"supplementary\" reading such as \"tourist guide\"-style pamphlet and book of short stories
- Sabre Team - Included map of the embassy in level 2, done as a blue print, nice touch.

More recently, I was impressed by the packaging and styling of GTA:Vice City and San Andreas... unusual for publishers to go to so much trouble over packaging these days.
GAME OVER YEEEAAAHHH!
ImageImageImage

nwosteve

Post by nwosteve » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:58 am

Platoon on the speccy - not exactly classy packeging but you did get maps, postcards from the film and a bonus tape of the films' soundtrack, \"Tracks Of My Tears\" by Smokey Robinson.
"You're all going to die." MK3 promo posters

blakespot

Post by blakespot » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:06 am

How about Alice for the Macintosh? (Ported from the Lisa!)

http://folklore.org/StoryView.py?projec ... =Alice.txt

blakespot
:: Retro game list for iPhone & iPod touch at Touch Arcade
:: Byte Cellar - the vintage computing weblog

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:12 am

Me and a friend were talking about this yesterday actually, when he bought Supreme Commander and we commented on the fact Total Annihilation came in the old style box, with a decent manual.

My favourite would probably be TA: Core Contingency, which had a flap on the front with every unit printed on it. Which incidently goes for a fair bit on ebay now - wish i'd had space to keep my packaging!

Doom II was good too - manual was written with some humour and the artwork was great with the Marine and Cyberdemon. It also had a proper sturdy card box.

A good thing about the Megadrive as opposed to the SNES was the plastic cases - good for displaying now and really shows when you buy either console with games, especially from car boots - MDs normally have cases and instructions while most of the time SNESs dont have the card boxes or instructions.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:17 am

Civ 4 had a good compromise I thought. A DVD case and a DVD case sized manual in a cardboard wraparound.

Fits on my shelving, still has everything you need.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:22 am

Last Ninja with free throwing star.... :shock: