Collecting for the lesser regarded systems.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RodimusPrime

Collecting for the lesser regarded systems.

Post by RodimusPrime » Sat May 25, 2013 1:25 pm

I am at that point where I have a lot of Nintendo and Sega systems and games and am now turning my attention to a few lesser regarded systems that did not sell well or have bad reputations.

I have just bought a CDI, 3DO, Jaguar, and Amstrad GX4000, and TBH I have managed to find a little enjoyment in each and every system ( I tend to enjoy most games and can squeeze a little enjoyment from just about any bad game ). I have a few games for each but really need some ideas of where to go with each system. Not just games but which system to concentrate on first as I can't afford to build up a collection of games for all 4 at the same time. which one would be better to concentrate on first. Would love to hear some opinions.
Last edited by RodimusPrime on Sun May 26, 2013 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Laird

Re: Collecting for the lesser regarded systems.

Post by The Laird » Sat May 25, 2013 1:34 pm

The CD-i is incredibly cheap to collect for, I built up a massive collection in no time for very little expense. Has more good games than people often give it credit for too.

killbot

Post by killbot » Sat May 25, 2013 2:14 pm

To be honest there are probably very few consoles, even the ones considered real dogs, that don't have any games on them that are worth playing. Even the Gizmondo has that Sticky Balls thing that's supposed to be very good (never played it myself), the Jag has Tempest and a great version of Doom and the GX4000 has a highly regarded version of Pang.

The only consoles with no redeeming games I can think of are the Casio Loopy (though someone may correct me there) and that 80s Laserdisc based system that only had two games.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat May 25, 2013 2:24 pm

I originally bought a 3DO for the very same reason as the OP. Great games that were clearly well ahead of their time and yet mostly go under the radar today. Love all the FMV madness, weird sh*t, 'cutting edge' experiments and stuff like that too (from the era in general, not just the 3DO).

Also got my Jaguar for something different to play on and it's not half bad at all. Granted I've only played Tempest 2000, Supercross 3D, Cybermorph and Bruce Lee so far but there are many titles I want to try out once I'm done with my current push to downsize my collection by a large amount. Doom in particular has been on my radar for a while.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sat May 25, 2013 2:25 pm

Jaguar Doom is w@nk

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat May 25, 2013 9:18 pm

Lesser regarded consoles that I've games for would include,

Amstrad GX4000 - eight loose games.
Atari Jaguar - the majority of cartidge and CD-based commercial releases all CIB apart from one game plus the better homebrew releases.
Commodore Amiga CD32 - a fair number of games all CIB.
Nintendo NES - I own the 1990 re-issue of Super Mario Bros CIB despite never having owned a NES, lol.
Nintendo Virtual Boy - ten games all CIB.
Nintendo Wii U - :lol:
Panasonic FZ-1 model 3DO - a fair number of games all CIB.
Sega 32X - eight games CIB plus 4 loose games.
Tiger Telematics Gizmondo - fourteen games all CIB.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun May 26, 2013 3:15 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:Lesser regarded consoles that I've games for would include,

Atari Jaguar - the majority of cartidge and CD-based commercial releases all CIB apart from one game plus the better homebrew releases.
Nintendo NES - I own the 1990 re-issue of Super Mario Bros CIB despite never having owned a NES, lol.

NES = lesser regarded.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun May 26, 2013 5:09 am

Action max........................
game.com.................

Lesser enough for you?

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun May 26, 2013 5:18 am

DPrinny wrote:Action max........................

Lesser enough for you?

Do you collect for them, I got hold of an action max a few weeks back and it had the SONIC FURY game converted to DVD but its not really much of a game sysytem TBH.

I fancy owning a Game.com. I know its not great but I like to own series of games and it has some big names on there. I have the resident evil game juyst because I want a complete resident evil collection at some point.

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Sun May 26, 2013 5:25 am

Get yourself a Quickshot Supervision and forever regret it.
Going Solo...................

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun May 26, 2013 5:30 am

RodimusPrime wrote:
DPrinny wrote:Action max........................

Lesser enough for you?

Do you collect for them, I got hold of an action max a few weeks back and it had the SONIC FURY game converted to DVD but its not really much of a game sysytem TBH.

I fancy owning a Game.com. I know its not great but I like to own series of games and it has some big names on there. I have the resident evil game juyst because I want a complete resident evil collection at some point.
Nar but I have three tapes for it and untill I saw someone with more or less a full collection I said I had the largest collection of AM games known.
It was re-released a few years back and the packaged game* was put on DVD, the box and inereds stayed the same.
Homebrew on it is easy (there is a guide on how to do it on Youtube), was tempted to make my own homebrew 18+ game of "Things you wouldn't want a child to see", but it would end up as wank as the rest of the games
Dont waste your time on it

*Ha ha what?

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sun May 26, 2013 7:22 am

The Hardest of All Freds wrote:Get yourself a Quickshot Supervision and forever regret it.
My favourite version of Tetris is on the Supervision!

Regarding the rest, things tend to be more "interesting" on the "lesser" consoles and systems because they've had less exposure.

I have:

Bitcorp Gamate... 25 games (Snowman Legend, Dino Ball, Nightmare of Santa Claus and Devil Castle being good)
NEC PC-FX... 5 games (Zenki FX is amazing!)
Virtual Boy... 8 games (Jack Bros. is my favourite)
Pokemon Mini... 5 games (Pokemon Pinball Mini's surprisingly great)
Panasonic 3DO... 55 games, all amazingly cheap to get (Return Fire, Gex, Road Rash and Escape From Monster Manor are fairly essential)
Quickshot SuperVision... 6 games (Block Buster [Tetris clone] and Kabi-Island [Bomberman clone] are good)
Sega 32X... 2 games, but it works with the EverDrive (Stellar Assault's amongst the best games ever)
Systema Portable Game Master... 5 games (Continental Galaxy and Hyper-Space are playable)
Tiger game.com... 13 games (Frogger, Duke Nukem 3D and Batman & Robin are great if you can adjust to the screen)
Gizmondo... 4 games (TrailBlazer's better than most games)
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun May 26, 2013 8:21 am

Very jealous! I have been after a Gamate for years, I nearly bought one from my local games store back in the day because they were so cheap. I wish I had as they are impossible to get hold of these days. I would quite like a Systema 2000/Hartung Gamemaster too.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun May 26, 2013 11:28 am

RodimusPrime wrote:

NES = lesser regarded.
I'm a UK citizen so yes.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun May 26, 2013 11:38 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:

NES = lesser regarded.
I'm a UK citizen so yes.

It sold well in the Uk still, plus its not really a system that bombed in any way whatsoever. lesser regarded systems as in systems that are not considered great consoles with good libraries.

all those 4 I mentioned bombed pretty bad and are never mentioned as much. in Retro circles the Nes is a highly regarded system with classic games.

I am from the uk and the nes was still hugely popular. t is in no way seen as a lesser system in retro colllecting circles.

I dont really understand the angle you are coming from here. I have not been on here very long and am not willing to get into an argument but there seems to be some sort of agenda in stating the NES is a less regarded console. especially as its the 7th best selling home console of all time.