Space Invaders Clones

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
Mayhem
Posts: 4741
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:05 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Space Invaders Clones

Post by Mayhem » Thu May 23, 2013 4:17 pm

If you're going to mention Avenger on a Commodore machine, then the most accurate version actually is the Commodore MAX release. Definitely no obese invader shoot out here, they look very much like the real arcade aliens...

Image
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Image

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26843
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: Space Invaders Clones

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu May 23, 2013 4:38 pm

RUOK wrote:I'm sure Retro Gamer already ran a massive feature on Space Invaders a while ago with a whole load of clones?
Was that not a 'definitive' featuring official games rather than clones?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
RUOK
Posts: 556
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:35 am

Re: Space Invaders Clones

Post by RUOK » Fri May 24, 2013 1:51 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
RUOK wrote:I'm sure Retro Gamer already ran a massive feature on Space Invaders a while ago with a whole load of clones?
Was that not a 'definitive' featuring official games rather than clones?
Yes I think so, but it did include a large section on clones. I'm not complaining though, I'd happily read through an entire article on Space Invader clones

kiwimike
Posts: 3693
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:20 am
Location: Chch, NZ

Re: Space Invaders Clones

Post by kiwimike » Fri May 24, 2013 2:52 am

"A clone for every system."

There was pretty much, I reckon that'd be a great way to do it...a page of eight bit computers and consoles with their respective Invader clones on them. Systems like Arcadia 2001 & Vtech Creativision pretty much featured nothing but clones! :lol:

User avatar
greenberet79
Posts: 3360
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:37 am
Location: Liverpool

Re: Space Invaders Clones

Post by greenberet79 » Fri May 24, 2013 4:55 am

I think you'll find Space Raiders on the Speccy to be an awesome clone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPiDXcNMKSw

I think it was the first game I ever played from the first system I ever owned.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

User avatar
Fishsta
Posts: 899
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:46 am
Location: Northwich, Cheshire
Contact:

Re: Space Invaders Clones

Post by Fishsta » Fri May 24, 2013 5:26 am

I know it's 16-bit, but it's from 1981, and without doubt the BEST HOME VERSION OF SPACE INVADERS EVER.

TI Invaders on the TI-99/4A.

Image

It's fast, colourful and challenging, and the sound is superb.

Image

You could play on two difficulty levels, Merely Aggressive was a nice introduction to the game, but on Downright Nasty, the invaders would actually try to hit you by aiming where you were heading.

Image

There was also a bonus stage with a UFO that you could shoot for bonus points, with each hit it got smaller and higher on the screen until it actually became INVISIBLE and worth random high values of points. There was a knack to this, and I used to get some insane high scores on it.

Image

A nice little touch was that when you got shot, your craft got damaged according to where it got hit, get hit in the middle and it looked like a car, get hit at the side and it looked kind of like a motorbike, and the ground beneath you was your "garage" where your extra lives and damaged craft were stored... I loved the way the ground would lower your craft into and out of the box beneath you as you changed for a new ship.

The aliens would get smaller and more imaginitive in their animation, and the pixel-perfect collision detection made some of them notoriously difficult to hit (When it really starts getting hard is the ones that actually become a mere two pixels in some of their frames)

You can't cover Space Invaders clones without covering this. It was a readily available game on the very first 16-bit computer, all the way back in 1981.

In fact, I want a game of it now.
ImageImage

User avatar
PanzerGeneral
Posts: 496
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:34 pm
Location: N.W

Re: Space Invaders Clones

Post by PanzerGeneral » Fri May 24, 2013 6:27 am

Fishsta wrote:I know it's 16-bit, but it's from 1981, and without doubt the BEST HOME VERSION OF SPACE INVADERS EVER.

TI Invaders on the TI-99/4A.

Image

It's fast, colourful and challenging, and the sound is superb.

Image

You could play on two difficulty levels, Merely Aggressive was a nice introduction to the game, but on Downright Nasty, the invaders would actually try to hit you by aiming where you were heading.

Image

There was also a bonus stage with a UFO that you could shoot for bonus points, with each hit it got smaller and higher on the screen until it actually became INVISIBLE and worth random high values of points. There was a knack to this, and I used to get some insane high scores on it.

Image

A nice little touch was that when you got shot, your craft got damaged according to where it got hit, get hit in the middle and it looked like a car, get hit at the side and it looked kind of like a motorbike, and the ground beneath you was your "garage" where your extra lives and damaged craft were stored... I loved the way the ground would lower your craft into and out of the box beneath you as you changed for a new ship.

The aliens would get smaller and more imaginitive in their animation, and the pixel-perfect collision detection made some of them notoriously difficult to hit (When it really starts getting hard is the ones that actually become a mere two pixels in some of their frames)

You can't cover Space Invaders clones without covering this. It was a readily available game on the very first 16-bit computer, all the way back in 1981.

In fact, I want a game of it now.
DITTO!

User avatar
joefish
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:05 pm

Re: Space Invaders Clones

Post by joefish » Fri May 24, 2013 8:58 am

The Beans wrote:How is Galaxian a clone of Space Invaders?
Galxian is a game in its own right.
Oh please. Rows of aliens at the top of the screen, jiggling about side-to-side and waiting to be shot down by a craft only able to move sideways? Can't imagine where Namco got that wholly original idea from a whole year after Taito's Space Invaders came out...

ulala
Posts: 736
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:19 am

Re: Space Invaders Clones

Post by ulala » Fri May 24, 2013 9:05 am

joefish wrote:
The Beans wrote:How is Galaxian a clone of Space Invaders?
Galxian is a game in its own right.
Oh please. Rows of aliens at the top of the screen, jiggling about side-to-side and waiting to be shot down by a craft only able to move sideways? Can't imagine where Namco got that wholly original idea from a whole year after Taito's Space Invaders came out...
But the aliens can swoop down!

User avatar
Shinobi
Posts: 7591
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:33 am
Location: The Pride Lands

Re: Space Invaders Clones

Post by Shinobi » Fri May 24, 2013 9:20 am

Space Sweep and Invaders +4 pack in Game

Image
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

jimmyjimjim
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:12 am

Re: Space Invaders Clones

Post by jimmyjimjim » Sat May 25, 2013 7:02 pm

Electron Invaders by Micro Power for the Acorn Election was a great clone. It was also the first computer game I went out and bought. Still highly playable today.

User avatar
paranoid marvin
Posts: 14272
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:28 pm
Location: 21st Century Earth

Re: Space Invaders Clones

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat May 25, 2013 7:31 pm

Tetris?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

User avatar
killbot
Posts: 4824
Joined: Thu May 18, 2006 5:36 am

Re: Space Invaders Clones

Post by killbot » Sat May 25, 2013 8:23 pm

joefish wrote:
The Beans wrote:How is Galaxian a clone of Space Invaders?
Galxian is a game in its own right.
Oh please. Rows of aliens at the top of the screen, jiggling about side-to-side and waiting to be shot down by a craft only able to move sideways? Can't imagine where Namco got that wholly original idea from a whole year after Taito's Space Invaders came out...
It's more a different game inspired by the original (like how the 2010 version of Medal of Honor is 'inspired' by Modern Warfare) than an actual clone. But yeah, I think we all know there'd be no Galaxian without Space Invaders.

Both great games though. Although I always preferred Phoenix to either.

Anyway, my favourite Space Invaders clone was Amoeba Invaders on the Amiga which was pretty much a perfect conversion of the arcade game.
Image

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

User avatar
Misery
Posts: 2236
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:52 pm

Re: Space Invaders Clones

Post by Misery » Sun May 26, 2013 12:45 am

Ah, I've got a few of these to list. All of these are DOS games:


First up, the most obvious clone of them all, Clone Invaders:

Image


Next is SDI2040, another decent one though with some odd control issues:

Image


Next up is one with an epic title, Invasion of the Mutant Space Bats of Doom:

Image


And here is Super Stupid Space Invaders; clearly, these people were masters of marketing. This one is done with ASCII graphics, actually, so this caught my eye quick:

Image

User avatar
Gren
Posts: 212
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:32 pm
Location: Holmfirth

Re: Space Invaders Clones

Post by Gren » Sun May 26, 2013 7:23 am

There's a recent Let's Play of Space Invaders clones here:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEBUJmoLVgU

My fave clone/derivative from back in the day was Cosmic Guerilla, and there was also a sequel/clone that had bullets you could swerve after firing them, but I can't remember what it was called!
Fresh Spoo?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests