The XBOX ONE / PS4 discussion thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Beans

Re: The XBOX ONE / PS4 discussion thread

Post by The Beans » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:48 am

Sel Feena wrote:Shantae dropping on the 20th, think it may only be digital for EU though?
Are these Shantae games considered to be significant releases then? There was one out on the One ages ago (something about pirates I think) but it just looked like standard indie platformer fare. Did anybody give it a go?
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:25 am

^ You're not really wrong, but I do like a good platformer.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:10 am

I'm enjoying Shantae Risky's Revenge myself, it seems like a decent metroidvania styled platformer with dungeons. Its not the most amazing platformer though, Shovel Knight still has it beat.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

ALK

Post by ALK » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:08 pm

Sel Feena wrote:^ Lost Odyssey was great, the little text short stories were very well done.

Shantae dropping on the 20th, think it may only be digital for EU though?
Apparently the EU physical version is still being discussed with a different publisher for Wii U, PS4 and Vita (Same issue as Shovel Knight as to why no physical XBONE version anywhere, Microsoft policy.) according to Wayforward on Twitter.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

ALK

Post by ALK » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:11 pm

The Beans wrote:
Sel Feena wrote:Shantae dropping on the 20th, think it may only be digital for EU though?
Are these Shantae games considered to be significant releases then? There was one out on the One ages ago (something about pirates I think) but it just looked like standard indie platformer fare. Did anybody give it a go?
The one releasing next week was funded through Kickstarter, so they've had a much bigger budget this time.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:49 pm

ALK wrote:
Sel Feena wrote:^ Lost Odyssey was great, the little text short stories were very well done.

Apparently the EU physical version is still being discussed with a different publisher for Wii U, PS4 and Vita (Same issue as Shovel Knight as to why no physical XBONE version anywhere, Microsoft policy.) according to Wayforward on Twitter.
Oh nice, there's still hope then!

ALK

Post by ALK » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:04 pm

Sel Feena wrote:
ALK wrote:

Oh nice, there's still hope then!
Indeed, if Pirate's Curse can get a physical 3DS release over here a couple of months ago even after the digital version was offered on Humble Bundle for £1 at the beginning of the year, then I'm sure Half Genie Hero has more then enough chance.

Even if not, least 2 of the 3 systems are region free.... :lol:
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:07 pm

Playing Xposed on the PS4.

Usually this sort of indie fodder is pretty easy for my site to get review codes for but the devs/publishers have all the internet presence of my nan. So anyway, it looked like a Qix remake so I had to buy it (I'm a total mark for Qix games for some stupid reason) and that's exactly what it is. I'm rather enjoying it. If you like Qix and aren't huge fan of variety, this is worth the cash.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:27 pm

Tried out the RE7 demo. Looks nice but I couldn't figure out what I was supposed to be doing, so no idea if I'd like it or not

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:29 am

Negative Creep wrote:Tried out the RE7 demo. Looks nice but I couldn't figure out what I was supposed to be doing, so no idea if I'd like it or not
Did you get the video tape? As basically this is how I got the three endings (spoilers obviously if you want to figure this out yourself!)

Bad ending - get the video tape from the locked cupboard (its located just beyond the Cheap MDF rubbish). Play the videotape to find out that there is a hidden switch in the fireplace (in the room where you begin) that opens a hidden room. You go through that after watching the tape to find the backdoor key. Go out the backdoor and you'll get the bad ending.

Infected ending/Good ending - now you know there is a hidden switch in the fireplace you can just open that right at the beginning of the demo. Now you'll find a fuse (that wasn't here if you go into the room AFTER watching the video). Go back out into the starting room and there is a fuse box. Use the fuse to give power to the second floor. Head out into the main hallway and up the stairs and you should see a switch. Press it to bring down the stairs to the attic. Now explore the attic to find the basement key. Now go back down the stairs to the room where you started (but don't go in) instead walk past the door and go through the next door into the next hallway. Walk all the way through to the end of the hallway and you should find a locked door - use the basement key on this. Walk down and into the room with all the hanging body bags. There are two items that will trigger a monster to appear - the valve and the attic window key (which is in the very back of the room. If you get hit by the enemy you'll become infected, if you escape the room without getting touched you'll be fine.

Now go to back to the attic, back to the room you got the basement key and then walk up to the ladder that is pointing to the locked window. If your infected you'll collapse and get the bad ending. Otherwise you'll get the good ending.

Now if you want to avoid the monster its going to be fairly tough - you'll want to get the gun from the bathroom. To get the gun you'll need the valve from the monster room. You'll want to grab the valve then run back the way you came and just keep hammering the button to open the door until you force your way through. Drain the water from the toilet and grab the gun. Now explore the house for more ammo (its all over the place). Now you'll need to head back to the monster room. The way I did it was the following - run to the back of the room where the key is - grab the key and head back to the entrance and the monster will appear. I shot him accurately a few times until he was stunned (he has a certain animation when this happens) and then run past him out of the room. Then you'll be fine from then on out (he doesn't follow).

I personally enjoyed the demo, it has a nice atmosphere and it basically felt like a mix between PT and Outlast (two of my favourite horror games of recent times). It can be a bit unclear at times, especially if you want to find the hidden secret (google it, it requires you to jump through a dozen + hoops to unlock it).
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:39 am

Ah yes nay thanks, I had found the tape and hidden switch, but didn't notice the bit it opened. I assumed it was supposed to open the bit they showed when replaying the video.

Still not sure what to make of it though, seems weird to have a RE game without the usual cast. Outlast is the free game with gold this month if anyone wasn't aware, and the big Xmas sale starts Thursday

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:10 am

Sleeping Dogs, Outlast, Burnout Paradise, Outland and Murdered Soul Suspect all given away free by MS on XOne in recent weeks. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

ALK

Post by ALK » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:52 pm

You should see January's Games with Gold. ;)

XBONE

World of Van Helsing: Deathtrap
Killer Instinct Season 2 Ultra Edition

Xbox 360

The Cave
Rayman Origins

Also 1 month memberships are $1 during the duration of the Big Xmas Sale.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:25 pm

ALK wrote:You should see January's Games with Gold. ;)

XBONE

World of Van Helsing: Deathtrap
Killer Instinct Season 2 Ultra Edition

Xbox 360

The Cave
Rayman Origins
That's another dead month for me then. The Xbox One games are from genres I despise and I already own the 360 games. Here's hoping things are better the month after.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:34 pm

Looks like I finally hit the limit for disk space on PS4, though to be fair I've got a good bunch of stuff on there!