The XBOX ONE / PS4 discussion thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Beans

Re: The XBOX ONE / PS4 discussion thread

Post by The Beans » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:11 pm

nokgod wrote:
The Beans wrote:Frankly, 4K support of any sort on any platform offers nothing to get excited about, games or otherwise. I'm no resolution chasing hipster though, I must admit.
Is that really true though, beans? You'd take RF over composite on 8-bits? You'd take composite over scart on 16-bits? etc etc. Chasing the best picture is as old as home gaming.

My take on it is this. I have a 4k tv so i'd prefer whatever i output on it to be at its sparkly best. And why not? I'd take the best possible picture over a mediocre one any day. If i have to pay a premium to do so, i will.
Chasing resolution back in the day was worth it because the differences were dramatic. The last genuine improvement I saw was taking my 360 from SD to HD. The difference between 360 and Xbox One is there but it's not something I'll ever do backflips over.
And now here comes 4K, another incremental improvement that's hardly worth the effort. I'm just not excited by these relatively minor tweaks. Give me something mindblowing and I'm there. 4K support isn't it. If you've already got a 4K telly then fill your boots, obviously. For me there's no rush. Same with VR.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

crusto

Post by crusto » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:28 pm

I want one, but will admit im a little miffed about the lack of a 4k blu ray drive. I likes a good movie, and a 4k blu ray is a far better experience than its streamed equivalent, so I was kind of banking of the pro having support. Looks like ill have to ask santa for a standalone 4k player :D

Eat your nans pants

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:03 am

Anybody tried Star Trek Online?

It's like an Aldi version of Mass Effect.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:09 am

DOGOS is the Project Root sequel that no-one wanted. It's a twin-stick shooter that's well worth ignoring.

Sky Force is my current game. It's a vertically-scrolling shoot em up with an emphasis on replaying levels/grinding (you decide) but its somehow managing to be fun.

Both on the PS4.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:23 am

So it seems lots of PS4 players are getting notifications about Communities they're not even a member of. I've received updates from a Brony COD Community, of all things! :lol:

MatOfTheDead

Post by MatOfTheDead » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:41 am

Sel Feena wrote:So it seems lots of PS4 players are getting notifications about Communities they're not even a member of. I've received updates from a Brony COD Community, of all things! :lol:
i had that too with a diablo community

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:04 am

First time I've encountered it, but less worrying to see other people are getting it! Sony support forums are useless, questions just go there to die.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:33 am

There is a Forza Horizon 3 demo up on the Xbox One store, 18GB and its a pretty decent sized demo with a few nice events to try out. I played it all morning and only stopped because there was nothing more to do and I already replayed all the events. Its a series I really must play more - its more arcadey than the main Forza series which for me is a good thing, the mix of standard race events and more off the wall events (race a jeep being carried by a Helicopter) etc. Its really fun stuff.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:38 am

This eurogamer article raises an excellent point:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... n-at-60fps

I've no plans to buy a 4K TV any time soon, but I'd be interested in the Pro if it smoothed out frame rates on my "old" 1080p TV.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:59 pm

Hmmm... not feeling Pac-Man Championship Edition 2. :(

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:39 pm

Bluce_Ree wrote:Hmmm... not feeling Pac-Man Championship Edition 2. :(
It's not ... bad. It just isn't as good as the previous CE games in some way. It's got "Third In The Series" syndrome or something. How you're feeling about this game is exactly how I feel about Geometry Wars 3. With CE 2 there's something missing. There's no spark. So far there's been no adrenaline brought forth. No wide grins at the speed and eye candy madness. The game doesn't make me want to cane it like the earlier games did. The ride is not as wild.

Maybe it's me.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:34 pm

The Beans wrote:
Bluce_Ree wrote:Hmmm... not feeling Pac-Man Championship Edition 2. :(
It's not ... bad. It just isn't as good as the previous CE games in some way. It's got "Third In The Series" syndrome or something. How you're feeling about this game is exactly how I feel about Geometry Wars 3. With CE 2 there's something missing. There's no spark. So far there's been no adrenaline brought forth. No wide grins at the speed and eye candy madness. The game doesn't make me want to cane it like the earlier games did. The ride is not as wild.

Maybe it's me.
That's exactly it.

It looks kind of bland. Yeah, they've thrown colour at it but it is much like hosting a rave in a sterile hospital. The whole thing is too fast but it's quite hard to die now means that they've nerfed it for a bit of extra speed. There's not much variation in it and the new stuff (braking and warping) don't really add anything. The 'jumping' levels are horrible too when the jumps don't line up.

It definitely isn't pulling me in at all. It's alright but I'm feeling nothing. I went back and checked DX just to make sure I wasn't romanticising it and nope, it's vastly better than this.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:20 am

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/09/13/koei ... riors-game

^ Really like the sound of this, could be very good fun!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:26 am

Sel Feena wrote:http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/09/13/koei ... riors-game

^ Really like the sound of this, could be very good fun!
I'm looking forward to it as well. Its basically taking the idea they had for Warriors Orochi 3 but really doubling down on other series - WO3 basically took a couple of guest star characters from DOA, Ninja Gaiden etc. but it was still firmly based around the Dynasty/Samurai Warriors cast.

I'm hoping for more Ninja Gaiden characters, as Ryu is probably my favourite character in WO3 - hopefully they also have a load of villains from different games, like Doku from the first NG game (he'd be perfect for this game).
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:12 am

Shame they seem to have gone with Kasumi though, would have been nice to see Rachel with her axe again.