The XBOX ONE / PS4 discussion thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

gman72

Re: The XBOX ONE / PS4 discussion thread

Post by gman72 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:14 am

The Beans wrote:The latest system update for Xbox One actually adds some useful stuff for a change. Amazingly, you can now post your own mini review of games you've played, something I never thought Microsoft would trust us with on the consoles. The Games & Apps thingy also is much improved too. Being able to easily see which games have updates waiting is quite handy.

Yes deffo agree that the games widget is better after the update. Tracking your downloads on the homepage is a vast improvement. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:04 am

Someone's recorded some unsupervised gameplay of No Man's Sky

Link

Some people are losing their minds over this because it's not Star Trek Voyager or whatever, but this video kind of confirms I'll enjoy the game. Looks like a great chill out game. Not gonna lie though, the pop-up in places is a little jarring.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:16 am

Bluce_Ree wrote:
The Beans wrote:The new Ghostbusters game is on the Xbox Store at £39.99. Is that a mistake then? It's laugh out loud madness if it isn't because it looks like a low end indie game in all regards.
The game is currently sitting at a user rating of 1.5 stars with over 4000 ratings. That's quite a mauling by the community. I wonder how the publisher arrived at such an OTT pricing. It also doesn't help that the game released shortly after Full Mojo Rampage, which offers much the same gameplay but for a lot less money.

Bizarre.
It looks like that Sanctum of Slime game from last gen. Forty quid? Christ.
The developer of this steaming turd of a monument to can't-be-arsed cash-ins, Fireforge, has filed for bankruptcy today. The greedy publisher behind it, Activision, rolls on unscathed.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:38 am

Yowza. Was looking forward to new skins for Overwatch being available, but Blizz in their infinite wisdom have decided to make them time-limited and only attainable via loot boxes. Not even in-game currency. That's some mobile game, gacha bullshit right there.

Joey

Post by Joey » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:39 am

Sel Feena wrote:Yowza. Was looking forward to new skins for Overwatch being available, but Blizz in their infinite wisdom have decided to make them time-limited and only attainable via loot boxes. Not even in-game currency. That's some mobile game, gacha bullshit right there.
I got both the new skins I wanted for D.VA and Tracer so anything else now is a bonus!.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:52 am

Sel Feena wrote:Someone's recorded some unsupervised gameplay of No Man's Sky

Link

Some people are losing their minds over this because it's not Star Trek Voyager or whatever, but this video kind of confirms I'll enjoy the game. Looks like a great chill out game. Not gonna lie though, the pop-up in places is a little jarring.
I've avoided the media so I can go in fresh, but I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the game. I'm not expecting something quite as amazing as some circles have hyped it up to be. I simply want to be able to visit certain planets, explore and take in the atmosphere, then blast off again all without any loading screens. To me that'd be impressive enough (Its what sold me initially on the game).
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:13 am

Joey wrote:I got both the new skins I wanted for D.VA and Tracer so anything else now is a bonus!.
Really want the D.Va skin and Junkrat shotput intro, everything else is kinda eh.

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:38 am

Heads up, today only PS4 Megaman legacy collection only £14 from Play Asia, physical copy and not getting a pal release
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

David

Post by David » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:28 am

Just realised that if you press the Xbox controller button to minimise your game and go back to main screen but DON'T quit the game, then it starts from where you were even if the console has been turned off

That's awesome stuff

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:44 am

David wrote:Just realised that if you press the Xbox controller button to minimise your game and go back to main screen but DON'T quit the game, then it starts from where you were even if the console has been turned off

That's awesome stuff
Yeah it's okay that feature but it often leads to awful framerate drops when you return. at least on my launch model.
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:17 am

September's Games with Gold freebies are a turn-based indie rpg of yawn and an Assassin's Creed spin-off that only a fanboy could love. I forget what the 360 giveaways are. Forza something or other? Whatever.
Last month was pish and the standard is being maintained. Maybe they're keeping some good stuff in the cupboard for christmas.

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:55 am

The Beans wrote:September's Games with Gold freebies are a turn-based indie rpg of yawn and an Assassin's Creed spin-off that only a fanboy could love. I forget what the 360 giveaways are. Forza something or other? Whatever.
Last month was pish and the standard is being maintained. Maybe they're keeping some good stuff in the cupboard for christmas.
The first Forza Horizon I think?

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:33 am

The Beans wrote:September's Games with Gold freebies are a turn-based indie rpg of yawn and an Assassin's Creed spin-off that only a fanboy could love. I forget what the 360 giveaways are. Forza something or other? Whatever.
I really enjoyed Tumblestone, I thought it was really fun, and great from a multi-player POV.

To be honest, with PS Plus and Games for Gold I prefer getting games I wouldn't have otherwise tried. Often I find gems I might never otherwise have played, like Broforce, Tricky Towers and Towerfall (PS Plus) and Knight Squad and Tumblestone (GFG).

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:08 am

LAIS wrote:
I really enjoyed Tumblestone, I thought it was really fun, and great from a multi-player POV.

To be honest, with PS Plus and Games for Gold I prefer getting games I wouldn't have otherwise tried. Often I find gems I might never otherwise have played, like Broforce, Tricky Towers and Towerfall (PS Plus) and Knight Squad and Tumblestone (GFG).
I gave Tumblestones about ten minutes, realised it was entirely tedious (and incomplete) then binned it forever. Knight Squad got the same treatment. There's just been too many indies from the minor leagues lately imo. When we do get a full price offering it's a wrestling game or that Orochi japanese nonsense, stuff I'd never touch in a million years because I already know they're of no interest to me at all. I'm all for trying new things but, in truth, we're not being offered anything new really. I've just given Earthlock: Festival Of Magic a go and it's a painfully derivative, totally generic take on a jrpg. I don't know why the devs even bothered making it tbh. It covers ground that's been so well-trodden they probably had to give it away for free just to get more than ten people playing it. Free stuff is welcome but I'm getting tired of hearing the bottom of a barrel being scraped. It's all subjective at the end of the day.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:39 am

I just realised lat night that I have over 100 games now on my Xbox One (109 to be precise) :shock:

Considering I haven't even had it a year that's not bad going!

Also, I was very pleased to see the first Forza Horizon arrive on backwards compatibility last night, as it's one of my favourite 360 games. I am already playing through the brilliant RDR again at the moment so this is another one to add to the virtual must play pile. I am really hoping that they add Bully soon! 8)

On the subject of GFG, one of my favourites has been Defense Grid 2, what an excellent game, nearly maxed out all the achievements on it too. I wish they would release a DLC pack for it.