The XBOX ONE / PS4 discussion thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

HEAVYface

Re: The XBOX ONE / PS4 discussion thread

Post by HEAVYface » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:01 am

now playing final fight on my xbone. sweet.

course I could always play it on the 360, but it gives me a reason to stick the xbone on now rather than watching the kids play Disney infinity or the odd bluray

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:12 am

Has anyone bought Sword Coast legends on PS4? It's £16 but I've heard some bad stuff about the PC version so am being tentative. :)

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:50 am

Gigifusc wrote:Has anyone bought Sword Coast legends on PS4? It's £16 but I've heard some bad stuff about the PC version so am being tentative. :)
I picked it up on Xbox One but I'm not far into it (completed prologue of campaign) and I haven't tried any of the online stuff yet. Enjoyed it so far. It seems solid enough to me but it was a bit of a guilty buy because I've got Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition sitting on my hard drive with only one playthrough completed. I'm a sucker for the old D&D brand I guess.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:32 pm

Heads up, Retro city rampage PS4 retail version, first 3000 sold come in limited gold cover & include psp retail box and game downloads, be quick!

http://vblank.com/
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:03 am

Gigifusc wrote:Has anyone bought Sword Coast legends on PS4? It's £16 but I've heard some bad stuff about the PC version so am being tentative. :)
Ok, having played it a bit more on XO I'd say it's worth a buy on PS4 if you're a fan of the genre and there's no specific technical issues on that platform.
Firstly, I'll point out that Divinity Original Sin is a superior experience if you're looking for a modern take on old school rpg adventuring. If you haven't played that game you should check that out first. Sword Coast Legends is essentially a budget game and what you get overall is reflected in the price.
That said, it's not as poor as some of the PC reviews are making it out to be. It's a cheap and cheerful D&D game that's obviously designed for mainstream accessibility. Which means it isn't as deep as some would like, isn't as stat heavy as some would like and has combat that's not as tactical as some would like. It's got an old school vibe to it without having too much of the number crunching intricacy of stuff like Neverwinter Nights. Not a bad thing but I can see why hardcore D&D crpg fans would hate the game. I'm going to play it for what it is and probably enjoy it because I like the genre. The only downside on the consoles is no campaign creator. Otherwise, it's a bargain price experience with a lot of hours to offer, especially if you go for the achievements/trophies.

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:01 am

The Beans wrote:
Ok, having played it a bit more on XO I'd say it's worth a buy on PS4 if you're a fan of the genre and there's no specific technical issues on that platform.
Firstly, I'll point out that Divinity Original Sin is a superior experience if you're looking for a modern take on old school rpg adventuring. If you haven't played that game you should check that out first. Sword Coast Legends is essentially a budget game and what you get overall is reflected in the price.
That said, it's not as poor as some of the PC reviews are making it out to be. It's a cheap and cheerful D&D game that's obviously designed for mainstream accessibility. Which means it isn't as deep as some would like, isn't as stat heavy as some would like and has combat that's not as tactical as some would like. It's got an old school vibe to it without having too much of the number crunching intricacy of stuff like Neverwinter Nights. Not a bad thing but I can see why hardcore D&D crpg fans would hate the game. I'm going to play it for what it is and probably enjoy it because I like the genre. The only downside on the consoles is no campaign creator. Otherwise, it's a bargain price experience with a lot of hours to offer, especially if you go for the achievements/trophies.
Thanks very much for that. Appreciate it. I'm ok with a d&d lite game - I'm not as hard core as many RPG'ers.
So there've left the single player campaign in but there's no creation tool at all? That's a shame. Is the campaign interesting or is it cheap and tacky? I can't find a single review of the console version oddly.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:33 am

Project Diva X finally confirmed for EU, and...it's gonna be digital only. Goddammit Sega. Hopefully not a sign of things to come for other releases.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:48 am

TheNewMonkey wrote:Heads up, Retro city rampage PS4 retail version, first 3000 sold come in limited gold cover & include psp retail box and game downloads, be quick!

http://vblank.com/
:D Managed to get my pre-order in, wasn't part of the first 1,000 tho!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:10 am

Sel Feena wrote:Project Diva X finally confirmed for EU, and...it's gonna be digital only. Goddammit Sega. Hopefully not a sign of things to come for other releases.
That sucks. I'll import the Vita version from America, but its strange since the last two Miku games got released physically. Also strange is that Sega recently teamed up with Deep Silver to release Sega/Atlus games physically. Plus (just to make things more strange) Yakuza 0 is as of this moment getting a physical release in Europe...
Speaking of Yakuza, hopefully we should finally get some new news and a release date for it tomorrow. Absolutely can't wait myself - its my most wanted game of the year.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:07 pm

Gigifusc wrote:
The Beans wrote:
Thanks very much for that. Appreciate it. I'm ok with a d&d lite game - I'm not as hard core as many RPG'ers.
So there've left the single player campaign in but there's no creation tool at all? That's a shame. Is the campaign interesting or is it cheap and tacky? I can't find a single review of the console version oddly.
The Dungeon Master and Dungeon Crawl stuff is in the console version but the campaign creator isn't included so you can't make a full campaign for your friends to play. The single player campaign is bog standard fantasy guff but I've seen some decent humour and NPC banter in what I've played so far (I'm still on Act 1). I'm not expecting the story to blow my mind tbh. The Rage Of Demons dlc is included too. Like I said, it's very much a budget label game so it has some rough edges. If you've got doubts wait for a sale. It'll definitely come down in price at some point.

My only real gripe with the game are the loading times. They're frickin' awful on the Xbox One.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:18 pm

ShadowMan wrote:
Sel Feena wrote:Project Diva X finally confirmed for EU, and...it's gonna be digital only. Goddammit Sega. Hopefully not a sign of things to come for other releases.
That sucks. I'll import the Vita version from America, but its strange since the last two Miku games got released physically. Also strange is that Sega recently teamed up with Deep Silver to release Sega/Atlus games physically. Plus (just to make things more strange) Yakuza 0 is as of this moment getting a physical release in Europe...
Speaking of Yakuza, hopefully we should finally get some new news and a release date for it tomorrow. Absolutely can't wait myself - its my most wanted game of the year.
Extremely disappoint but, like Shadowman, I'll just import from NA. To be honest after downloading Future Tone, I'm not all that bothered about X now. Although I am excited for the release of the controller for PS4 :D

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:33 am

Rayne wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:
Extremely disappoint but, like Shadowman, I'll just import from NA. To be honest after downloading Future Tone, I'm not all that bothered about X now. Although I am excited for the release of the controller for PS4 :D
Future Tone sounds really interesting with all the tracks you can play (200+?). I really need to get that game myself when I get a chance...

Meanwhile, Sega has finally re-revealed Yakuza 6 (well, Ryu Ga Gotoku 6 since we won't see it over here for decades, or at least a couple of years). New story trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9drC64VXoE

The game is being billed as the final chapter of Kiryu's story, assuming they actually plan on sticking with that idea then it should be an even more epic finale than 5, and hopefully leaves the series open to move forward in future games (as much as I like Kiryu as a character, I'd like them to move on now, even though he had a great story arc in 5). Due out in Japan on December 8th, I'll be importing the game on release since I have no self control, and I loved the little demo they released back in February.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:19 am

I've yet to set up a Jap PS4 account, but I definitely want to get round to it just for Future Tone. The amount of content seems insane.

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:58 am

Tumblestone on XB1 is a nice little puzzler on Gold. Stuck on a level though at moment.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:56 am

I'm giving one of the cheap digital games I picked up in the recent PS4 sale a try - White Night. Its a survival horror game set in the '30's. Its completely in black and white and the gameplay revolves around you finding light sources to protect you, as you have rather unfriendly ghosts that kill you in 1 hit if you wander around in the dark. It looks great, and the light source gimmick is an interesting idea instead of actually building combat into the game, especially as certain mainstay survival horror franchises are more action games these days. However problems occur due to the fixed camera angles, something probably better left in the past. Most of the time you can't see where the enemies are (beyond assuming no light = bad), and rather than having checkpointing each time you manage to progress in the game, you have to manually save, which wouldn't be a problem if not for cheap deaths. I went through a dream puzzle before waking up back in this games spooky mansion and then quickly died thanks to the camera. Then got booted back to the dream. Then I gave up. Yeah, I don't hate the game, but I do hate the checkpointing and camera systems.

The game also does the normal "tell the story through hidden collectables), which as usual there are far to many (60 in this games case). I just hate it when games do this, since your either forced to miss large chunks of story or hunt around for ages looking for everything. Its ok for the £5 I paid but I can already tell I won't replay this game again in a hurry.