The XBOX ONE / PS4 discussion thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Bluce_Ree

Re: The XBOX ONE / PS4 discussion thread

Post by Bluce_Ree » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:42 pm

Playing Assault Suit Leynos (or whatever it's called). Is an okay take on the 16-bit run and gun shooter. Bit clumsy but not bad. The last level is pretty hateful though. Too many boss battles for my liking.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:51 am

The very excellent Maldita Castilla has popped up on Xbox One. I really enjoyed the PC version of this a few years ago. It's a superb tribute to Ghosts n Goblins and old school platformers. Gold members can pick it up for £8.63, a bargain for such a quality retro style game imo.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:01 am

outdated_gamer wrote:Verdun is comming to consoles too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWmvINGEo28

Admittedly, BF1 looks flashy as heck and will be the more accessible game, but this is for all of those among you who were complaining that BF1 has very little in common with the "real deal". :wink:
Played a bit of Verdun on PC, found the gameplay mechanics to be a bit more realistic but still full of people abusing the game and lying face down above the trenches mowing people down as they spawned and walked around a corner :evil:

Better game in principle but the map designs were a bit pants!

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:34 am

IronMaidenRule wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote:Verdun is comming to consoles too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWmvINGEo28

Admittedly, BF1 looks flashy as heck and will be the more accessible game, but this is for all of those among you who were complaining that BF1 has very little in common with the "real deal". :wink:
Played a bit of Verdun on PC, found the gameplay mechanics to be a bit more realistic but still full of people abusing the game and lying face down above the trenches mowing people down as they spawned and walked around a corner :evil:

Better game in principle but the map designs were a bit pants!
It was a buggy mess when I played it and, as you say, it was a camper's paradise. The maps weren't designed with multiplayer gaming in mind since they were based on authentic trench layouts. Verdun was one of those games that just underlined how realism doesn't necessarily make for a good gaming experience. I've no idea what state the game is in now, it seems like it was ages ago when I played it, but I've no doubt at all that BF1, despite its shonky historical accuracy, will be by far the better "game".

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:45 am

Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator players, don't forget to download your free Dizzy, before she becomes paid DLC!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:43 pm

Sel Feena wrote:Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator players, don't forget to download your free Dizzy, before she becomes paid DLC!
Can you download her if I don't have the game yet? As I should probably get round to doing that (and I should probably buy the game as well!)
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:59 pm

Pac-Man Championship Edition 2 coming in september! Bring it! :D

No sign of a european release in the trailer (which somebody needs to link because I can't be arsed) but my american account is ready. PS4/XB1/ PC.

Instant buy.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:09 pm

ShadowMan wrote:
Sel Feena wrote:Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator players, don't forget to download your free Dizzy, before she becomes paid DLC!
Can you download her if I don't have the game yet? As I should probably get round to doing that (and I should probably buy the game as well!)
No idea, sorry. Maybe? Don't see why not.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:01 pm

The Beans wrote:Pac-Man Championship Edition 2 coming in september! Bring it! :D

No sign of a european release in the trailer (which somebody needs to link because I can't be arsed) but my american account is ready. PS4/XB1/ PC.

Instant buy.
Nice! That game is fab, will absolutely double-dip to get it on PS4

More Nep incoming

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:03 pm

Sel Feena wrote:
The Beans wrote:Pac-Man Championship Edition 2 coming in september! Bring it! :D

Instant buy.
Nice! That game is fab, will absolutely double-dip to get it on PS4
It's a completely new game. A proper sequel to Pac-Man Champ Edition. DX was a follow up that was more of a remix. No double dipping required.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:14 pm

Oh, right. Even better, then!

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:21 pm

Instant buy.
Aceness. All over this.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:38 pm

Anyone started playing Neverwinter on PS4? Had a quick blast on Wednesday night and liked it for what it is, wonder if anyone else will be up for a bit of questing?

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:28 am

Lots of stuff being added to the Xbox One backwards compatibility list lately, mostly guff imo but maybe of interest to folk on here are Capcom Arcade Cabinet and Pacman Museum. Lotta retro for your One there.

Those Sonic reboot things from a while back have been added too. The one's that got a lot of stick.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:43 am

The Capcom arcade cab stuff is great. Tons of options to tweak the games, including a myriad of difficulty options (which is great for stuff like Ghosts n Goblins and Black Tiger).
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*