The XBOX ONE / PS4 discussion thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Joey

Re: The XBOX ONE / PS4 discussion thread

Post by Joey » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:59 am

PS4 was dispatched yesterday :D

I'm away at a gaming event untill Monday :(

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:06 am

necronom wrote:
SoupDragon wrote:Whats all the juddering stories about ? (see the tabloids) More papers are reporting Xbox One 'tv juddering' faults? :?
From what I read yesterday, it's a blindingly obvious thing to get wrong. The US TVs run at 60Hz, and ours run at 50. The juddering, I imagine, is always going to happen for everyone until they fix it (if they can in software, which I'm not sure they can). It sounded like a terminal problem as far as the TV side of it goes. Every 6th frame is a judder!
Do our tvs still run at 50 hz? I thought digital tv and flat panels did away with that. I thought the standard was 60hz 1080p for hdtv.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:43 am

Yeah I thought TVs would do both now? Maybe the sky boxes are set to output at 50Hz and that is causing an issue with the XB, but TVs should be fine in my layman's opinion.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:53 am

I will break my silence on the XO just for the TV gubbins. I run my Virgin TV through my XO, it works, mint. I watched the footy in HD and it looked exactly the same as if I was watching through the box alone. The snap stuff is excellent for sports, I've watched both footy and snooker while gaming, it's rather ace indeed. I don't know where all this stuff is coming from but unless I'm just mega lucky? the TV stuff works.

necronom

Post by necronom » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:47 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
necronom wrote:
SoupDragon wrote:Whats all the juddering stories about ? (see the tabloids) More papers are reporting Xbox One 'tv juddering' faults? :?
From what I read yesterday, it's a blindingly obvious thing to get wrong. The US TVs run at 60Hz, and ours run at 50. The juddering, I imagine, is always going to happen for everyone until they fix it (if they can in software, which I'm not sure they can). It sounded like a terminal problem as far as the TV side of it goes. Every 6th frame is a judder!
Do our tvs still run at 50 hz? I thought digital tv and flat panels did away with that. I thought the standard was 60hz 1080p for hdtv.
AFAIK all modern TVs run at 60Hz when needed, but from the reports, the normal TV TRANSMISSION is still at 50 (I guess so that people with CRTs can still watch TV).
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:37 pm

Been away from the forums for a few weeks, new job and all :)

Anyway, I was 'on the fence' but it looks like I'm going the PS4 now, all being well. Two things, price and the fact that I own a Vita.

I did play with my nephews XBone yesterday evening and it is an impressive piece of kit.

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:43 pm

This will upset a few X-box one fans!

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZQ8RdkVcNA

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:58 pm

What a complete spanner.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

killbot

Post by killbot » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:32 pm

Millions of people in the world can't afford to eat and he's putting a £400 console into a microwave for a laugh.

Words can't describe how I feel about him.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:44 pm

To even things out he microwaved the PS4 as well!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3_7NsjmNLE

Plus the Nintendo Wii U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvEkA-x3hVk

He got too much money to burn + managed to sell the microwaved ones on e-bay! :shock:

And microwaved a hell of a lot of new gadgets including Apple stuff!

gman72

Post by gman72 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:46 pm

probably ruined the microwave ovens too :roll:
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:00 pm

That's Osama's millions for you

giss

Post by giss » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:29 am

copied from the "what games/consoles have you bought today" thread, my own post:

Well I just bought a PlayStation 4 in store today. Had to stand in the freezing cold (I'm swedish) from 7am til the store opened at 10am to get my hands on one. But I'm REALLY glad that I decided to, as the store only got 17 of them even tho it's a big store and some employees came out at about 8am and so and handed out "PS4 tickets" in queue order. Rules were basically that you had to stay in queue and have a ticket to be guaranteed the chance to buy a PS4. Short breaks like going to the toilet or buying coffee at the nearby McDonalds was ofcourse tolerated but you werent allowed to leave for a long period of time and come back at 10am.

I was number 16 of 17, phew! 3 guys joined the queue just 5 minutes after me and my friend and only one of them got one.

As time got closer and closer to opening there was a large group of people there and a lot of them didn't seem able to read the LARGE signs that the employees put out that explained how only people with tickets can buy one and that they were all out of tickets. Once in the store I managed to grab what I wanted and pay for it in less than 5 minutes but I heard a lot of angry people in the background screaming and shouting cause they couldn't read the LARGE signs placed all over outside the store. I felt bad for the employees, I think it's kinda weak of Sony to only have so few consoles ready for launch. The City I live in has about 100.000 inhabitants and 4 electronics stores. This was the only one who even got theirs in time (yesterday evening). I don't know what the situation is like in the UK but clearly Sony doesn't seem to care that much about the swedish market.

Along with the console itself I also bought an extra Dualshock 4 and Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag (PS4). I have been keeping from buying Assassins Creed 4 on PS3/PC just to get it for the PS4.

As for first impressions, well it's too early to say yet but it looks and handles very nice and responsive so far. One thing I noticed is how much better and faster the menus are this time around. Browsing the PlayStation Store on the PS3 could be soooo slow but it seemed responsive this time around. I haven't played the game yet, I am waiting for it to get dark to get the most of it. I have just been configuring everything and downloading patches and redeeming codes so far.

anyone else bought one today? what was the launch like in the UK?

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:34 pm

Got mine from Amazon, arrived at 3 this afternoon, the missus was in to get it, setting up was very quick and a few patches later I'm up and running, as I have PS+ got Resogun for free and another game called Contrast for free. The new menus are cleaner and friends system is much better this time, navigating between games and menus is much, much quicker too.

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:52 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/v ... x-One.html

Seems like retailers are betting on Xbox One for Christmas, yet social media states the PS4 is the most discussed - "Sony’s PS4 is 40 per cent more discussed on social media than the Xbox One, and the comments are three times as positive, according to research"

Will be interesting to see where they stand after the first month