The XBOX ONE / PS4 discussion thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Sel Feena

Re: The XBOX ONE / PS4 discussion thread

Post by Sel Feena » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:41 pm

Hitman_HalStep wrote:now this is very nasty.

disclaimer: DO NOT FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS,apparently it will put the xbone into an infinite reboot causing it to brick.

Ha! Saw that on 4chan, wonder if anyone was actually thick enough to try it out? Was tempted to pass it along to a work colleague who'd bought one, but thought better of it just in case he didn't see it was a blatant troll attempt and went ahead and did it anyway.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:53 pm

I've heard that it bricks the machine so don't attempt this anyone.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:41 pm

*wise*

Has anyone else heard of people trying to get the PS4 cam thingy and not finding it anywhere? I know 3 people who are looking LOL comedy gold, especially as one of those people cried havoc and let slip the dogs of war over the Kinect being bundled with an XO

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:02 pm

koopa42 wrote:*wise*

Has anyone else heard of people trying to get the PS4 cam thingy and not finding it anywhere? I know 3 people who are looking LOL comedy gold, especially as one of those people cried havoc and let slip the dogs of war over the Kinect being bundled with an XO

I'm actually glad GAME messed up my preorder slightly, so i ended up having the players pack (which includes the camera and extra controller). Didn't think it would be of much use but it uses facial recognition and voice commands for use on the console itself (log in/out ..etc, etc, like XO) and its useful on CoD instead of using the headphones. So, generally more beneficial than i thought it would be. Definitely worth having.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:10 pm

So is the camera pretty much like Kinect then?

On the subject of Kinect? Mine is off ...... 99% of the time LOL I turned it on briefly with Dead Rising 3 to see if the noise thing was any good ..... if you make a noise the zombies are drawn towards you LOL again, gimmicky rubbish TBH as is the use of the smart glass app (but I haven't called in any airstrikes or anything with it yet)

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:46 pm

koopa42 wrote:So is the camera pretty much like Kinect then?
Not used Kinect, but yeah, i'm pretty sure they're much alike.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

ZeroCipher

Post by ZeroCipher » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:57 pm

I got the new xbox, so far, so good.

The Kinect is noticeably better than the 360 one

I only have 2 games (DeadRising 3 & Assassins Creed 4) both good fun.
Check my radio show every Tuesday 11pm (GMT) on TotalRock.com & every Saturday 8pm ET on FullFreqRadio.com & 11pm EST on TheMixx.FM also via the TuneIn App. On Demand www.mixcloud.com/djforcex

sscott

Post by sscott » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:55 pm

Does anything look better game wise than Killzone Shadowfall yet!? cos it looks fooooking boss!

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:48 pm

Personally, I'm not impressed by either "next-gen" system. The reason for this is not the lack of "cutting-edge" hardware, because I understand that consoles have to be compromised here in order to fit into a certain affordable/acceptable price range (unless you want 599$+ systems and 69$+ games) and neither the lack of backwards compatibility and payable online (although that's unfortunate), what bothers me is that the games seem like "more of the same" and seem to prioritize impressive visuals over rewarding gameplay. If you look at the flagship exclusives for both systems, you will see that they all attempt to push the hardware but offer nothing really new gameplay-wise, some being outright "shallow" games. For example KillZone and Ryse seem to push the hardware nicely but that seems to be the main focus. There's a reason why people hold games like TimeSplitters and Dark Souls in high regard, despite them not pushing graphics so much. Then, you have the games with famous spiritual predecessors, like Knack and Crimson Dragon. Both these games seem like they could be a lot more if they didn't target specific demographics and brought some "depth" and "challenge" with them. There is a reason why their spiritual predecessors are held to high regard (i.e. the Crash Bandicoot games and the Panzer Dragoon games) and more revival of forgotten classic console franchises is always welcome. And then there's games that seem to revive classic franchises quite nicely like Killer Instinct and Dead Rising, but are held back by "the system", i.e. have technical issues and paywalls. Lastly, there are games that seem rushed to coincide with the console's launch like Forza, which is criticized for lacking the content of it's predecessors and competitors (although there may be redemption in the form of new content). We will see how the delay will benefit games like Drive Club, but the point remains - these systems could be a lot more if the developers pushed for more polished, rewarding and unique experiences over rushed, shallow and already seen ones. There is a reason why games like MineCraft, Day-Z, Mirror's Edge and Portal are universally acclaimed and revered by the gaming community and these console systems have a lot to live up to, games-wise.

Just my thoughts.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:27 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:Personally, I'm not impressed by either "next-gen" system. The reason for this is not the lack of "cutting-edge" hardware, because I understand that consoles have to be compromised here in order to fit into a certain affordable/acceptable price range (unless you want 599$+ systems and 69$+ games) and neither the lack of backwards compatibility and payable online (although that's unfortunate), what bothers me is that the games seem like "more of the same" and seem to prioritize impressive visuals over rewarding gameplay. If you look at the flagship exclusives for both systems, you will see that they all attempt to push the hardware but offer nothing really new gameplay-wise, some being outright "shallow" games. For example KillZone and Ryse seem to push the hardware nicely but that seems to be the main focus. There's a reason why people hold games like TimeSplitters and Dark Souls in high regard, despite them not pushing graphics so much. Then, you have the games with famous spiritual predecessors, like Knack and Crimson Dragon. Both these games seem like they could be a lot more if they didn't target specific demographics and brought some "depth" and "challenge" with them. There is a reason why their spiritual predecessors are held to high regard (i.e. the Crash Bandicoot games and the Panzer Dragoon games) and more revival of forgotten classic console franchises is always welcome. And then there's games that seem to revive classic franchises quite nicely like Killer Instinct and Dead Rising, but are held back by "the system", i.e. have technical issues and paywalls. Lastly, there are games that seem rushed to coincide with the console's launch like Forza, which is criticized for lacking the content of it's predecessors and competitors (although there may be redemption in the form of new content). We will see how the delay will benefit games like Drive Club, but the point remains - these systems could be a lot more if the developers pushed for more polished, rewarding and unique experiences over rushed, shallow and already seen ones. There is a reason why games like MineCraft, Day-Z, Mirror's Edge and Portal are universally acclaimed and revered by the gaming community and these console systems have a lot to live up to, games-wise.

Just my thoughts.
No different to a normal launch to be honest. need to wait a while to see what the systems can do.

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:25 pm

@ outdated_gamer:Nail/head moment there.

As soon as the very 1st details of new hardware from MS/Sony started to leak, i saw posts on current gen' gaming forums screeching of OMG we need new hardware now, games being held back by hardware limits of aging PS3/360 (this before anyone knew anything real on GTA 5!), more powerful hardware will usher in a new dawn of gaming etc etc.

Ohh really? More generic FPS, but this time in the resolution promised on PS3/360 for 'HD' gaming?, generic stuff like Knack?.Did these posters really expect the 1st wave of titles to really be any different to say how 360 had a lot of tarted up Xbox games (Gun, Far Cry, King Kong, Burnout etc etc).It'll take good while yet to see developers really let loose on the groundbreaking stuff, user base will need to grow before risks start to be taken.

Minor point but:Demon's+Dark souls, really can be traced back to spiritual predecessors of the Kings Field series on Playstation 1, C.Dragon/Dead Rising 3 started off on 360.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:39 pm

Finally picked up my Xbox One today. :D
Got DR3 and Battlefield 4. Dead Rising took about three hours to install to a point where I could start to play. Im told this is because a new DLC has come out and the game automatically downloads data related to that. Still that was amazingly long wait. The game itself is superb as is the console I just hope every game doesn't take that long to install.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Joey

Post by Joey » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:48 pm

gman72 wrote:Finally picked up my Xbox One today. :D
Got DR3 and Battlefield 4. Dead Rising took about three hours to install to a point where I could start to play. Im told this is because a new DLC has come out and the game automatically downloads data related to that. Still that was amazingly long wait. The game itself is superb as is the console I just hope every game doesn't take that long to install.
Yea that new DR3 content is an extra 13gig download I think!

BF4 took less than a minute to install before I could play (PS4) but there was a 1gig patch to d/l before I could play online so not bad at all on that one.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:29 pm

Yeah the PS4 install system is far more streamlined and improved over the Xbox One's install system. I think I read that the PS4 has a dedicated chip dealing with installs etc put in as a response to the PS3's crappy updater and installer.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:53 pm

Holy **** they sound long installs :lol: GTA V on 360 was bad enough Lol.

Had a go on the new consoles instore, very nice, for sure. I have contemplated moving up to current gen but I still love the 360 and have far more games and you can pick up bargains galore to play. Maybe mid year in winter (here) I'll move up :)