The XBOX ONE / PS4 discussion thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

koopa42

Re: The XBOX ONE / PS4 discussion thread

Post by koopa42 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:35 pm

xbox 360 - makes a noise
PS3 - makes less of a noise
XO - I couldn't tell you, my PC drowns everything out, it sounds like a vulture stuck in an air conditioner

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:21 pm

mr gryzor wrote:
HalcyonDaze00 wrote: the problem is that from a gaming point of view there is very little to shout about at the moment.

In your opinion.
And quite a few other people's as well. Glad you're enjoying it, but fact is, the 3 biggest hitters for the Xbox One/PS4 (CoD: Ghosts, Battlefield 4 and FIFA 14) are all available on the Xbox 360/PS3 as well, and barely look any worse. Literally the only incentive for me to buy either console at the moment is Dead Rising 3 or Killzone, and whilst I've enjoyed previous games in those series, they don't seem to be offering a new enough experience to justify me spending a few hundred quid on another console just yet.

Even Titanfall's coming out on the Xbox 360 as well.

The better games will come, sure (I'm really looking forward to Mirror's Edge 2, personally) but it's going to be a long while before they do, just like it's taken Nintendo this long to start getting decent Wii U games out (and Mario Kart still isn't out yet for a few more months).

In the meantime, I am still genuinely interested in how people are finding the new consoles in terms of ease of use, the new controllers, the operating systems, etc. I've heard people saying that there's a lot of loading times on Xbox One when switching from one application to another, not sure how true that is. It's probably still the enforced inclusion of Kinect that puts me off Xbox One more than anything because it needlessly bumps the price up. I can't see it being used for anything much more meaningful than optional voice commands, going forward. Just like Kinect for Xbox 360 wasn't.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:41 am

I'm slightly regreting cancelling my PS4 preorder but only because I really want to play Res0gun now.

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:42 am

Not really loving the xb1 , had it a few days now and i find im back on my xb360 , picked up Deadfall , Bioshock Infinite and Batman AO yesterday to mess about with , so looking foward to friday and finally getting a Ps4 , octodad , killzone , bf4 and knack will do me fine .
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer

mr gryzor

Post by mr gryzor » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:52 pm

ToxieDogg wrote:s).

I've heard people saying that there's a lot of loading times on Xbox One when switching from one application to another

They're telling you porkies.
The voice command stuff works brilliantly.Far better than i thought it would truth be told.

This vid shows how quickly it all works.All in real time from a users living room.Id upload a video myself but i haven't got a Youtube page.

Voice Commands Demo on XB1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj6hnjhIM_Y

Hope that's cleared things up a bit.
C64-Atari ST-PC Engine-Sega Megadrive-SNES-Neo Geo-Sony Playstation-N64-Dreamcast-Gamecube-XBOX-Nintendo Wii-XBOX360-XBOX ONE

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:27 pm

Whats all the juddering stories about ? (see the tabloids) More papers are reporting Xbox One 'tv juddering' faults? :?

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:39 pm

SoupDragon wrote:Whats all the juddering stories about ? (see the tabloids) More papers are reporting Xbox One 'tv juddering' faults? :?
Social media now means that all issues are greatly exaggerated, news sites then post them as 100% universal truth. Microwaves, dishwashers and many other devices have fail rates too, why would consoles be different?
Of course in saying that I would still be miffed if my purchase turned out to be one of them :wink:

necronom

Post by necronom » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:48 am

SoupDragon wrote:Whats all the juddering stories about ? (see the tabloids) More papers are reporting Xbox One 'tv juddering' faults? :?
From what I read yesterday, it's a blindingly obvious thing to get wrong. The US TVs run at 60Hz, and ours run at 50. The juddering, I imagine, is always going to happen for everyone until they fix it (if they can in software, which I'm not sure they can). It sounded like a terminal problem as far as the TV side of it goes. Every 6th frame is a judder!
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:57 am

necronom wrote:
From what I read yesterday, it's a blindingly obvious thing to get wrong. The US TVs run at 60Hz, and ours run at 50. The juddering, I imagine, is always going to happen for everyone until they fix it (if they can in software, which I'm not sure they can). It sounded like a terminal problem as far as the TV side of it goes. Every 6th frame is a judder!
The simple answer is don't plug your TV tuner / sky box whatever through the Xbox One. Personally, I don't want to have to turn on my Xbox One to watch Sky, so I simply plug my Xbox One into the TV.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:29 am

Good old Shopto are preparing to dispatch my PS4, Yey!!

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:56 am

It's certainly an odd week - I got Xbox One on Monday, and I'm getting PS4 tomorrow. 2 new consoles in 1 week... it's a bit too much really.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:07 am

Mootown wrote:
necronom wrote:
The simple answer is don't plug your TV tuner / sky box whatever through the Xbox One. Personally, I don't want to have to turn on my Xbox One to watch Sky, so I simply plug my Xbox One into the TV.

This, its a feature that makes no sense to me. it means I have to turn on 2 systems and leave my console running just to watch TV. Easier just to have a TV box connected straight to the TV.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:09 am

Mootown wrote:It's certainly an odd week - I got Xbox One on Monday, and I'm getting PS4 tomorrow. 2 new consoles in 1 week... it's a bit too much really.

What are the launch games for PS4.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:37 am

RodimusPrime wrote:
Mootown wrote:It's certainly an odd week - I got Xbox One on Monday, and I'm getting PS4 tomorrow. 2 new consoles in 1 week... it's a bit too much really.

Dunno - haha. I only want Killzone and Resogun. Think there's like COD, Battlefield, Need for Speed etc.

necronom

Post by necronom » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:36 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... and-prices
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V