The XBOX ONE / PS4 discussion thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Megamixer

Re: The XBOX ONE / PS4 discussion thread

Post by Megamixer » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:44 pm

Only game that interests me is Killer Instinct from that line-up. There are undoubtedly many other good games on the list but no series' that interest me personally.

It is a strong line-up of names though, given how sparse launches used to be in the past.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:50 pm

Megamixer wrote:Only game that interests me is Killer Instinct from that line-up. There are undoubtedly many other good games on the list but no series' that interest me personally.

It is a strong line-up of names though, given how sparse launches used to be in the past.
Don't get the love for Killer Instinct at all,I can never remember anyone that liked it, just generic characters from Mortal combat and 'stiff' movement IMO.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:53 pm

Hitman_HalStep wrote:ps4 launch date announced:

north america 15th novermber
europe 29th november
Whats the betting that Microsoft come up with the same date tomorrow or the next day :lol:
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:10 pm

gman72 wrote:

europe 29th november
Whats the betting that Microsoft come up with the same date tomorrow or the next day :lol:
Probably, then people will have to make a decision. I'm going for the PS4 initially on cost and will get the 'One' on my birthday the following May.

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:18 pm

sscott wrote:
gman72 wrote:

europe 29th november
Probably, then people will have to make a decision. I'm going for the PS4 initially on cost and will get the 'One' on my birthday the following May.
agreed,did anyone else see it there was a bit of a dig at MS's 180 at the end.i didn't have my laptop volume up much so could hardly hear it so i won't try to quote in case i get it wrong.

also shadow of the beast reboot ps4 exclusive
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/08/20/g ... ing-to-ps4
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:43 pm

a breakdown of most of the announcements (not all ps4 specific)

http://www.mirror.co.uk/incoming/sony-g ... ig-2193436

a few other pionts:
The PS4 will ship with a 14 day subscription of PlayStation Plus, SCEE has announced.

This means all PS4 owners will be able to have day one access to Driveclub PS Plus Edition and Resogun, the new game from the creators of Stardust.

Sony also confirmed that from tomorrow, users buying a year's sub to PS Plus will be given an extra 90 days for free. This offer is valid for one month.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

Joey

Post by Joey » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:41 pm

This game is just ridiculous, I would give up all the games to play this right now...

New Titanfall gameplay trailer - http://youtu.be/qzYDrzk1xs4

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:56 pm

Hitman_HalStep wrote:a breakdown of most of the announcements (not all ps4 specific)

a few other pionts:
The PS4 will ship with a 14 day subscription of PlayStation Plus, SCEE has announced.

This means all PS4 owners will be able to have day one access to Driveclub PS Plus Edition and Resogun, the new game from the creators of Stardust.

Sony also confirmed that from tomorrow, users buying a year's sub to PS Plus will be given an extra 90 days for free. This offer is valid for one month.
With Playstation plus do the games revert to trial mode when your membership runs out? Coz they did on PS3 didn't they?
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:01 pm

gman72 wrote:
Hitman_HalStep wrote:a breakdown of most of the announcements (not all ps4 specific)

a few other pionts:

With Playstation plus do the games revert to trial mode when your membership runs out? Coz they did on PS3 didn't they?
i believe it will be exactly the same because when you get PS+ for PS4 that automatically gives you PS+ for PS3 and vita at the same time.any game you buy using PS+ discount you still have full access to but anything given free reverts back or is blocked all together.

skodathegreat

Post by skodathegreat » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:02 pm

Titanfall looks nuts!
The visuals effects are pretty impressive, especially like the glare and screen distortion when the player was in the titan.

Also YAY! on the PS4 release date. Fingers crossed I ordered early enough! :?

Balders

Post by Balders » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:33 pm

Didn't see this mentioned here yet, but the xbox one will no longer need to have Kinect connected in order to work.

http://www.itwire.com/your-it-news/ente ... r-xbox-one

ALK

Post by ALK » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:49 pm

Well, CeX is going to be overstocked with unused XBONE Kinnects.... XD
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:05 pm

Balders wrote:Didn't see this mentioned here yet, but the xbox one will no longer need to have Kinect connected in order to work.

http://www.itwire.com/your-it-news/ente ... r-xbox-one
With respect, Baldurs, that is not in any way new news. Microsoft have been saying since just after E3 that the Kinect can be switched off. People just refused to listen I guess. :D

Balders

Post by Balders » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:47 pm

As I understand it, after E3 MS stated that the Kinect had to be connected to the Xbox One in order for the console to function.

Then they later said that the Kinect could be turned off, but it wasn't clear whether they meant you could turn it off and still use the console, or just that yes, it can be powered down when the console is off. Either way, it seemed you still needed the Kinect physically connected.

The new news is that it doesn't even need to be connected.

But yeah, there has been a degree of confusion and ambiguous possibly conflicting information over the matter. At least now there's a clear statement that you can use still use the console while leaving the Kinect in the box... ...maybe, possibly. ;)

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:50 am

MS said that Kinect could be turned off ......... confused millions for some reason
MS now say you don't even need it connected ...... confused more millions for some reason
What next? They'll sell stand alone xboxone consoles without kinect even in the box ....... STILL people will be confused?