The XBOX ONE / PS4 discussion thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

User avatar
Negative Creep
Posts: 3842
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:59 am
Location: Rochester, Kent

Re: The XBOX ONE / PS4 discussion thread

Post by Negative Creep » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:12 pm

Gears of War 4 released UIR skins and characters recently for a 24 hour period (in Gears lore the UIR are very important, but have never appeared or been playable until now). To have a chance to get them you have to buy card packs at 4400 in game credits or £9.99 each. A skilful player can earn about 500 credits an hour, and you only had a very narrow window in which to buy them. They also accidentally released these packs a couple of weeks ago at 100 credits each.

Suffice to say, people are not happy and the official board has become deluged with complaints with the main thread getting over 2300 replies in 48 hours. Don't you just love modern gaming?

https://gearsofwar.com/en-us/forums/e9b ... 32/threads
Image

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 14890
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: The XBOX ONE / PS4 discussion thread

Post by Megamixer » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:12 pm

Negative Creep wrote:Gears of War 4 released UIR skins and characters recently for a 24 hour period (in Gears lore the UIR are very important, but have never appeared or been playable until now). To have a chance to get them you have to buy card packs at 4400 in game credits or £9.99 each. A skilful player can earn about 500 credits an hour, and you only had a very narrow window in which to buy them. They also accidentally released these packs a couple of weeks ago at 100 credits each.

Suffice to say, people are not happy and the official board has become deluged with complaints with the main thread getting over 2300 replies in 48 hours. Don't you just love modern gaming?

https://gearsofwar.com/en-us/forums/e9b ... 32/threads
Sounds like a load of BS indeed. Gotta love that 24hr period designed to make people feel desperate and simply shell out a minimum of £9.99.

Just put it out as cheap DLC or at least have a far, far more lenient validity period for the offer.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

User avatar
Negative Creep
Posts: 3842
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:59 am
Location: Rochester, Kent

Re: The XBOX ONE / PS4 discussion thread

Post by Negative Creep » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:00 pm

Even DLC would be a con, all those character assets already exist in the base game. Gears has been one of my favourite franchises but the sheer level of open greed has killed it for me.
Image

User avatar
Joey
Posts: 3842
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 2:45 pm
Location: Leicester, UK

Re: The XBOX ONE / PS4 discussion thread

Post by Joey » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:12 pm

Sel Feena wrote:Looks like I finally hit the limit for disk space on PS4, though to be fair I've got a good bunch of stuff on there!
I installed a 2tb drive in mine last week as I got fed up with having to delete stuff just for title updates.
Image

IronMaidenRule
Posts: 4413
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:33 pm

Re: The XBOX ONE / PS4 discussion thread

Post by IronMaidenRule » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:38 am

Last few games I have brought on the PS4 have all been digital titles and it is running a lot quieter compared to a disk game, surely they could have used a Blu-Ray drive that doesn't generate so much noise?

User avatar
Scratch_Porkings
Posts: 777
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:27 am
Location: Eastbourne

Re: The XBOX ONE / PS4 discussion thread

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:41 am

Xbox one owner here. The CAPCOM arcade cabinet has popped onto backwards compatible for me, and I just snagged the CAPCOM ARCADE CABINET : ALL-IN-ONE PACK for £5.60 so I've got 17 CAPCOM titles sitting on me X1. yay.


https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-GB/Prod ... noSplash=1
Scott me up beamie!

User avatar
Sel Feena
Posts: 3506
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:38 pm

Re: The XBOX ONE / PS4 discussion thread

Post by Sel Feena » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:06 am

Joey wrote:
Sel Feena wrote:Looks like I finally hit the limit for disk space on PS4, though to be fair I've got a good bunch of stuff on there!
I installed a 2tb drive in mine last week as I got fed up with having to delete stuff just for title updates.
I have a 2Tb drive already, looking into maybe trying out a Nyko Databank thingamajig
Image

RetroAerosmith
Posts: 1098
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:19 am
Location: South Wales

Re: The XBOX ONE / PS4 discussion thread

Post by RetroAerosmith » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:27 pm

Mine maxd out too, bit daunting taking the ps4 apart though.

My ny resolution to stick with a maximum of 2 games on the go only rather than starting twenty and finishing none has hit its grind already. When has a big game become "too big"?
I was looking forward to Uncharted4 yet at the minute im nearly most of the way through, its been a real chore.
Since level 4 ive been waiting for something new to kick in and ive now hit level 15 and its tiring me out...you know when you play a game just to get to the end...this is how i feel with this.

The divine jumps and firefights have become long and drawn out walkie walkie talkie talkie bits. Ive started to hate looking through deserted shacks and buildings yet again, then feel annoyed that ive missed something since theyve introduced these new speech things where you get asked a question and press triangle to continue a conversation or worry about treasures hidden knowing itll be a while if ever i replay it.

Also having no money seeing some games i wanted in asda having price drops - last guardian was 25 and dead rising4 was 27.

User avatar
gman72
Posts: 8017
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:41 pm
Location: UK. Norfolk

Re: The XBOX ONE / PS4 discussion thread

Post by gman72 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:02 pm

I can't recommend Last Guardian enough... it's class.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

RetroAerosmith
Posts: 1098
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:19 am
Location: South Wales

Re: The XBOX ONE / PS4 discussion thread

Post by RetroAerosmith » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:12 pm

Yes it was on my xmas list...even brushing my hand across it in asda a few weeks before xmas. Mentioning it xmas day, apparently my other half saw me brysh my hand across a game... I opened Dishonoured2.. A game i could have waited a few years to play...didnt want to seem ungrateful managed that "oh dishonoured... You remember it from the ad breaks in the walking dead" ah bless.

User avatar
Sel Feena
Posts: 3506
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:38 pm

Re: The XBOX ONE / PS4 discussion thread

Post by Sel Feena » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:59 pm

gman72 wrote:I can't recommend Last Guardian enough... it's class.
gman knows what's up. Trico is an amazing character.
Image

User avatar
gman72
Posts: 8017
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:41 pm
Location: UK. Norfolk

Re: The XBOX ONE / PS4 discussion thread

Post by gman72 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:45 am

Sel Feena wrote:
gman72 wrote:I can't recommend Last Guardian enough... it's class.
gman knows what's up. Trico is an amazing character.
Trico feels like one of the most alive videogame characters I've ever seen. Its a very clever trick. A lovely game.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

User avatar
Sel Feena
Posts: 3506
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:38 pm

Re: The XBOX ONE / PS4 discussion thread

Post by Sel Feena » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:26 am

Project Diva Future Tone is now available in EU, I would deffo recommend it, been playing the Jap version for a while now. Although it sucks that the actual song lyrics haven't been translated, just the menus. Hopefully the DLC comes to EU as well.

Also it's great to see lots of good reviews rolling in for Gravity Rush 2, really looking forward to that.
Image

User avatar
ShadowMan
Posts: 11091
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:50 pm
Location: 200X
Contact:

Re: The XBOX ONE / PS4 discussion thread

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:44 am

Sel Feena wrote:Project Diva Future Tone is now available in EU, I would deffo recommend it, been playing the Jap version for a while now. Although it sucks that the actual song lyrics haven't been translated, just the menus. Hopefully the DLC comes to EU as well.

Also it's great to see lots of good reviews rolling in for Gravity Rush 2, really looking forward to that.
I'll have to nab Future Tone if the DLC is coming (I want the full package). And yeah, I'm really looking forward to GR2 at the end of the month along with RE7 and Yakuza 0 in English. Meanwhile, I'm still working through Yakuza 6, mainly trying to focus on the story as its really interesting, plus I really want to see how they end the game. Its a bloody fantastic game as well, opinion seems to be split as to how good the game is (some are saying its one of the worst in the series) but I just can't see that. The story is great as are the new characters, the combat is great and the tweaks they made to the overall gameplay were long overdue. Only real issue I have is with the lack of certain mini games present.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

User avatar
Sel Feena
Posts: 3506
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:38 pm

Re: The XBOX ONE / PS4 discussion thread

Post by Sel Feena » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:15 am

Is Yakuza 0 a decent place to jump in, or at this point will it be pretty much impenetrable?
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests