The XBOX ONE / PS4 discussion thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

ShadowMan

Re: The XBOX ONE / PS4 discussion thread

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:48 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Looks like they are just re-releasing the same old games again rather than some other, more desirable NG titles i.e. Windjammers, Pulstar etc. Lost count of how many times they have re-hashed KOF '94 and Metal Slug.

Would have been nice if they'd at least put this version up on PSN:

Exactly. I want SNK to stop porting the same damn games, I want the later KOF games, Real Bout Fatal Furies, maybe AOF3, Samurai Showdown 6 etc. you know, stuff that hasn't been ported so many times before...
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:55 pm

ShadowMan wrote:Exactly. I want SNK to stop porting the same damn games, I want the later KOF games, Real Bout Fatal Furies, maybe AOF3, Samurai Showdown 6 etc. you know, stuff that hasn't been ported so many times before...
Problem is that they start a new line of retro downloads and kick off with the well-known stuff then the interest dies down before the juicy things can be ported over. Then they will launch a 'brand new' run of retro downloads and start from the beginning again. Other publishers i.e. Sega are guilty of the same.

Would just be nice to have some of the games that never get ported or are stupidly expensive to buy on the original Neo Geo machines.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:09 pm

Maybe I'm just too optimistic, but it's nice that they're doing it (again) and maybe it'll lead to more?

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:34 pm

Sel Feena wrote:Maybe I'm just too optimistic, but it's nice that they're doing it (again) and maybe it'll lead to more?
I won't hold my breath but your optimism is admirable :)

Problem is that these sorts of things need support to continue but there's no reason for me download it when I have the game several times already and that it isn't even one of the better ones. Get '96, '98 Ultimate Match or 2002: Unlimited Match on there and it will be a "take my money" moment. Weirdly, the latter 2 were available on XBLA for the 360 ages ago but not PSN.

Anyway, Neo Geo-wise, it would be nice if they'd do these:

Pulstar
Blazing Star
Street Hoop
Ultimate 11
Rage of the Dragons
Art of Fighting 3
Neo Drift Out
The Super Spy
Prehistoric Isle 2
Windjammers

:)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:13 am

Looks like PS+ members are getting Everybody's gone to the rapture this month. Looking forward to playing that.

Well, I say playing...

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:15 am

theantmeister wrote:Looks like PS+ members are getting Everybody's gone to the rapture this month. Looking forward to playing that.

Well, I say playing...
It sucks. Most over rated game I've played this year. Well, its not a game as all you do is walk SLOWLY and uncover a fairly anti climatic story. I could have dealt with the almost 0 gameplay if the story was good, and it wasn't :( Graphics look really nice though.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:39 pm

ShadowMan wrote:
theantmeister wrote:Looks like PS+ members are getting Everybody's gone to the rapture this month. Looking forward to playing that.

Well, I say playing...
It sucks. Most over rated game I've played this year. Well, its not a game as all you do is walk SLOWLY and uncover a fairly anti climatic story. I could have dealt with the almost 0 gameplay if the story was good, and it wasn't :( Graphics look really nice though.
not a fan of walking simulators then?
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:42 pm

I've just got Skyrim remaster for xbone. What with this and BF1 that's my modern gen needs sorted for ages.
Last edited by gman72 on Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:04 pm

jdanddiet wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:

Well, I say playing...
not a fan of walking simulators then?
Actually I like walking sims, but I like them to have some kind of depth to them - The Vanishing of Ethan Carter is similar in some respects to Rapture but also has some nice puzzle solving elements to balance out the walking and story, so it feels like your accomplishing something. Rapture just felt so dull in comparison, especially with the finale of the story.

Joey

Post by Joey » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:04 pm

Megamixer wrote:

Pulstar
Blazing Star
Street Hoop
Ultimate 11
Rage of the Dragons
Art of Fighting 3
Neo Drift Out
The Super Spy
Prehistoric Isle 2
Windjammers

The problem is SNK doesn't own the rights to half of those which is why we never see them. You've got weird cases like most of Data East's property owned by a mobile content management company.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:11 pm

Joey wrote:
Megamixer wrote:

Pulstar
Blazing Star
Street Hoop
Ultimate 11
Rage of the Dragons
Art of Fighting 3
Neo Drift Out
The Super Spy
Prehistoric Isle 2
Windjammers

The problem is SNK doesn't own the rights to half of those which is why we never see them. You've got weird cases like most of Data East's property owned by a mobile content management company.
True! The fate of Data East IP is one of gaming's greatest tragedies.

Even so, if the Data East IP holder is reading this (I could make a mammoth list of things that are more likely to happen!), I would download your old games as would many others. Make it happen!

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:39 am

Anyone else suddenly unable to upload screenshots to the Onedrive?

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:02 am

Well, I say playing...
Looks like I spoke too soon:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016- ... he-rapture

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:09 am

Central Fiction is out today, I'll have to see if there are any SEs going at Amazon. Apparently there's no English dub, which sucks.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:41 pm

New Daytona is comming, apparently only for Arcades:

http://metro.co.uk/2016/11/02/sega-retu ... a-6229476/

Wanted to post a thread about it but for some reason the forum doesn't allow me to. This will need some amazing graphics and some good immersion "gimmick" if it's to repeat what the original did back then. I like to see such revivals but the newer generations of players expect much more from racing games than just shiny visuals and speed.

And Cruisin' is apparently also joining it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEFTxxbkUtA