The XBOX ONE / PS4 discussion thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

nokgod

Re: The XBOX ONE / PS4 discussion thread

Post by nokgod » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:14 pm

ZXSabreman wrote:Has anybody been playing the Battlefield 1 beta, I am enjoying it far more than I thought I would. I am still playing Destiny two years after its original release, I haven't put as many hours into a game it's quite remarkable it's still so popular, with the new expansions release two weeks today my Destiny is far from over
Same here. really looking forward to the new Destiny dlc. I've played this game more than any other in my entire life and still enjoying it! Like the look of the new Supremacy mode in PvP (its basically Kill Confirmed from CoD) which i believe will be the mode used in the first Iron Banner after the dlc drops. Happy days! 8)
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

Joey

Post by Joey » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:02 pm

PS4 Pro

November 10th 2016

£349

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:07 am

^ Tempted, but I have 2Tb PS4. Why on earth 1Tb is the standard I really don't know.

Joey

Post by Joey » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:55 am

Sel Feena wrote:^ Tempted, but I have 2Tb PS4. Why on earth 1Tb is the standard I really don't know.
To keep production costs as low as possible I assume?

They know customers will flip the drive out for a bigger one themselves if needed.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:05 am

Joey wrote:
Sel Feena wrote:^ Tempted, but I have 2Tb PS4. Why on earth 1Tb is the standard I really don't know.
To keep production costs as low as possible I assume?

They know customers will flip the drive out for a bigger one themselves if needed.
No 4K blu ray either. Has to be about cost for sure.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:08 am

Yeah, if the Scorpio estimates are to be believed they have just undercut their rival by around £150- £200 by doing this. Granted the Pro will be nowhere near as powerful but since when has power ever dictated a winner in a console race?
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:03 pm

One of those where I might have bought it if I didn't already have a PS4 but I'm not a big enough geek when it comes to resolution and all that so no need for me to want to upgrade unfortunately.

Looks fugly as well - like the top half of a standard PS4 chopped off and glued on top of another PS4 :?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:20 pm

Well, i'll be having one. :D
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:24 pm

Grizzly wrote:Yeah, if the Scorpio estimates are to be believed they have just undercut their rival by around £150- £200 by doing this. Granted the Pro will be nowhere near as powerful but since when has power ever dictated a winner in a console race?
Without UHD blu ray it's weaker than the Xbox One S as a media device and more expensive. They've done Microsoft a big favour with the cost cutting. It'll be interesting to see how Microsoft will price the Scorpio now.

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:34 pm

The Beans wrote:
Grizzly wrote:Yeah, if the Scorpio estimates are to be believed they have just undercut their rival by around £150- £200 by doing this. Granted the Pro will be nowhere near as powerful but since when has power ever dictated a winner in a console race?
Without UHD blu ray it's weaker than the Xbox One S as a media device and more expensive. They've done Microsoft a big favour with the cost cutting. It'll be interesting to see how Microsoft will price the Scorpio now.
Sony appear to be targeting the gamer crowd. MS has already proven this generation that positioning your product as a "media centre" doesn't work. Which makes you wonder why they seem to be headed that way once more.

Frankly, UHD Blu Ray support offers nothing for games.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:00 pm

learnedrobb wrote:
The Beans wrote:
Sony appear to be targeting the gamer crowd. MS has already proven this generation that positioning your product as a "media centre" doesn't work. Which makes you wonder why they seem to be headed that way once more.

Frankly, UHD Blu Ray support offers nothing for games.
Frankly, 4K support of any sort on any platform offers nothing to get excited about, games or otherwise. I'm no resolution chasing hipster though, I must admit.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:05 am

I've still yet to really make the jump to Blu-Ray, I find it hard to see a real difference or get excited about it when it is noticeable.

Looks like Future Tone is getting some DLC, according to Mitchie M. Apparently set to drop on the 15th.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:50 pm

http://www.polygon.com/2016/9/9/1286141 ... od-support

Jesus, what a kick in the teeth. Well played Sony! :roll:

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:46 pm

Sel Feena wrote:http://www.polygon.com/2016/9/9/1286141 ... od-support

Jesus, what a kick in the teeth. Well played Sony! :roll:
Yeah it's disappointing news for the PS4. Maybe PSN isn't up to it or something. We'll have to wait and see what Sony say.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:48 pm

The Beans wrote:Frankly, 4K support of any sort on any platform offers nothing to get excited about, games or otherwise. I'm no resolution chasing hipster though, I must admit.
Is that really true though, beans? You'd take RF over composite on 8-bits? You'd take composite over scart on 16-bits? etc etc. Chasing the best picture is as old as home gaming.

My take on it is this. I have a 4k tv so i'd prefer whatever i output on it to be at its sparkly best. And why not? I'd take the best possible picture over a mediocre one any day. If i have to pay a premium to do so, i will.

Don't think i've ever been called a hipster before though, that's a first :lol: