The XBOX ONE / PS4 discussion thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Sel Feena

Re: The XBOX ONE / PS4 discussion thread

Post by Sel Feena » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:41 am

So apparently Season 2 of Overwatch is already underway? Thought there was still a week or so to go :?

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:42 am

The new Deus Ex is quite a looker, isn't it?

Makes me realise how crap Fallout 4's graphics are.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:52 am

theantmeister wrote:The new Deus Ex is quite a looker, isn't it?

Makes me realise how crap Fallout 4's graphics are.

Some parts are lovely but I didn't think the character models and lip synch were that great. The skybox especially looks like something from a PS1 game.

Also, can I play a backwards compatible game on the One with someone on a 360?

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:35 pm

Negative Creep wrote:Also, can I play a backwards compatible game on the One with someone on a 360?
Yeah. Multiplayer, co-op, chat, its all supposed to work. I know the chat does (me on One, mate on 360). Never played anything cross multi.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:36 pm

Has anyone else given the Nioh beta on the PS4 a try this week? I tried the alpha and didn't think much of it, since the difficulty was ratcheted up so high that it was so damn cheap it wasn't fun (1 hit kills from normal enemies and the like). The beta has balanced a whole ton of issues I had with the game and its way better for it, I've managed to finish off both main missions today and am practically sold on the game. Its still tough, but more in line with the Souls games now. The bosses are really fun I thought, they felt like a mix of Souls and classic Ninja Gaiden (it is made by Team Ninja after all). Its also reassuring that Team Ninja can put together another solid action game, Ninja Gaiden 3 was horrendous and the tweaked "Razors Edge" edition released a year later was above average at best. This game handles combat and bosses way better, so there might be hope for NG4 after all.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:09 pm

Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour Edition

Hitting PS4/XO october 11th.
Eight new levels, new music, dev commentary and option to play with original or modern graphics. USA price is $20. I'm assuming it's getting a euro release.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:26 pm

The Beans wrote:Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour Edition

Eight new levels, new music, dev commentary and option to play with original or modern graphics. USA price is $20. I'm assuming it's getting a euro release.
Sounds great! I forgot to download the Megaton Edition (or whatever it was called) on PS3 so I'll have to get this if it's any good.

Do they censor or edit any of the modern Duke releases btw? I just wouldn't be surprised these days with all the moaning about anything mildly offensive.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:47 pm

Megamixer wrote:
The Beans wrote:Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour Edition

Sounds great! I forgot to download the Megaton Edition (or whatever it was called) on PS3 so I'll have to get this if it's any good.

Do they censor or edit any of the modern Duke releases btw? I just wouldn't be surprised these days with all the moaning about anything mildly offensive.
Well nothing's censored in this judging by the trailer on the Xbox One store. Same old Duke. The modern graphics look much the same as the original but they're fully 3D. It's £16 on Xbox One with a 12th october release date. I'll be buying it. I prefer Duke 3D to Doom.

Joey

Post by Joey » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:30 am

Sel Feena wrote:So apparently Season 2 of Overwatch is already underway? Thought there was still a week or so to go :?
The new map is great, it seems to be a bit more complex in design to the others so hopefully it's a sign of things to come in the future.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:28 am

Judging by from reports from Japan, sounds like Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown is on its way to the Playstation 4 this Winter. The catch? It's apparently a mini game in Yakuza 6, not a stand alone title at this time. It'll be playable in Yakuza 6's virtual arcade, along with Space Harrier, Outrun, Super Hangon, Fantasy Zone (all of which were included in Yakuza 0) and Puyo Puyo. Sounds like a fun place to waste lots of time in, as if I needed a reason to spend tons of time playing a Yakuza title...
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Smudge

Post by Smudge » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:17 am

Just bought Guacamelee on the Xbone while it's on offer before my Gold runs out. Completed this ages ago on the 360, but it's such an awesome game.

ZXSabreman

Post by ZXSabreman » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:34 am

Has anybody been playing the Battlefield 1 beta, I am enjoying it far more than I thought I would. I am still playing Destiny two years after its original release, I haven't put as many hours into a game it's quite remarkable it's still so popular, with the new expansions release two weeks today my Destiny is far from over
"Time fades even legend..."

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:01 pm

I love my Xbox one but it keeps making an angry buzzing noise and turning itself off. Overheating?
Only does it during gaming, and I use it quite a lot for YouTube and Blu Rays.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:02 pm

Say what you like about the Xbox One's hit & miss approach to Backwards Compatibility, today the BC elves done good from within their underfunded little bunker of coding magic ... Bejweled 3 has been added to the roster.

Joey

Post by Joey » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:20 pm

ZXSabreman wrote:Has anybody been playing the Battlefield 1 beta, I am enjoying it far more than I thought I would. I am still playing Destiny two years after its original release, I haven't put as many hours into a game it's quite remarkable it's still so popular, with the new expansions release two weeks today my Destiny is far from over
I've put a good few hours into it and it seems pretty good, its just a shame that the map is pretty rubbish for the most part. The built up area around capture points C and D seems ok but the rest doesn't seem to work well for either Conquest or Rush, It seems everyone who played the Alpha said the map in that was much better.
jdanddiet wrote:I love my Xbox one but it keeps making an angry buzzing noise and turning itself off. Overheating?
Only does it during gaming, and I use it quite a lot for YouTube and Blu Rays.
Power brick fault?

Sometimes I think mine is noisier than the console itself.