The XBOX ONE / PS4 discussion thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

outdated_gamer

Re: The XBOX ONE / PS4 discussion thread

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:18 pm

^Will it be possible to explore planets on foot? Looks like a little bit overwhelming game with billions of randomly generated solar systems... :wink:

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:27 pm

^ Aye, though you'll need to upgrade your suit for certain environments. There's a strong survival element. Realistically I expect this to have the depth of a puddle, but I don't care. I just want to see the sights.
Last edited by Sel Feena on Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:45 pm

Good to see at least one other gamer has their feet on the ground about NMS. The game looks ace and is exactly what the creators said they would deliver but oh my god ... the unrealistic expectations I've seen attached to this game lately! :shock:
It's procedurally generated. There's going to be loads and loads of similar planets and systems. The game's about as deep as Elite Dangerous (so not really that deep at all). It's still going to be worth a play for fans of the genre but some people seem to be getting a bit carried away with it all and they expect the video game equivalent of a Star Trek series that has millions of episodes of infinite variety. I fear a backlash.

Meanwhile, in an entirely different universe of news, recent indie hipster heartthrob Hyper Light Drifter is coming to XO/PS4 on july 26th.
Retro art style and mechanics, Zelda-esque, old school difficulty etc etc. Hipsters swooned. I yawned. It's there if you want it.
Last edited by The Beans on Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Dannyhalifax

Post by Dannyhalifax » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:55 pm

Surprised how good RDR still looks,could be to do with the barren landscape!

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:23 am

PostieDoc wrote:PS4 owners, prepare your Kerbals.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016- ... -this-week
It's available on Xbox One today. It costs £32. I made my excuses and left.

Dannyhalifax

Post by Dannyhalifax » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:34 am

I actually hit over 200 games for my XO yesterday. I have been very surprised and happy with how this gen is going, with BC,free to play games and constant digital games sales as well as games with gold.

I have managed to get over 200 games and only paid full price for one of these (Fallout 4), the only problem is the massive backlog of games I'm building up including several AAA titles I have bought in sales and not even booted up yet.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:36 pm

Yeah, I was pretty excited about No Man's Sky a while back but I whiffs of a game with an idea and not much else. Procedurally generated game worlds are usually a lazy excuse to get out of doing some real level design. And, as with sandbox games, if your gameworld is 99% eff all then that's a bad thing.

Still got my eye on it but if this gets 5s out of 10 across the board, I won't be surprised.

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:28 am

Finally bought Journey. Gonna enjoy the ride. Was only £4.50 in sale.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:59 am

The new Ghostbusters game is on the Xbox Store at £39.99. Is that a mistake then? It's laugh out loud madness if it isn't because it looks like a low end indie game in all regards.
The game is currently sitting at a user rating of 1.5 stars with over 4000 ratings. That's quite a mauling by the community. I wonder how the publisher arrived at such an OTT pricing. It also doesn't help that the game released shortly after Full Mojo Rampage, which offers much the same gameplay but for a lot less money.

Bizarre.

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:08 am

The Beans wrote:The new Ghostbusters game is on the Xbox Store at £39.99. Is that a mistake then? It's laugh out loud madness if it isn't because it looks like a low end indie game in all regards.
The game is currently sitting at a user rating of 1.5 stars with over 4000 ratings. That's quite a mauling by the community. I wonder how the publisher arrived at such an OTT pricing. It also doesn't help that the game released shortly after Full Mojo Rampage, which offers much the same gameplay but for a lot less money.

Bizarre.
Film tie ins are mainly sh1t because they are rushed into production to meet the film release. N64 goldeneye came out much later which is why (at the time) it was great.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:27 pm

The Beans wrote:The new Ghostbusters game is on the Xbox Store at £39.99. Is that a mistake then? It's laugh out loud madness if it isn't because it looks like a low end indie game in all regards.

Bizarre.
It looks like that Sanctum of Slime game from last gen. Forty quid? Christ.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:25 pm

No Man's Sky=Explorer 2016 :lol:
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:45 am

Decent game probably. When it costs a tenner I might be tempted. Right now it's way overpriced for me.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:13 pm

Verdun is comming to consoles too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWmvINGEo28

Admittedly, BF1 looks flashy as heck and will be the more accessible game, but this is for all of those among you who were complaining that BF1 has very little in common with the "real deal". :wink: