The XBOX ONE / PS4 discussion thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

The Beans

Re: The XBOX ONE / PS4 discussion thread

Post by The Beans » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:36 am

Matt_B wrote:They've since clarified that they'd have needed to do extra development work to put a menu on the disk to launch multiple games:

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/05/27/ther ... undle-disc

So yeah, you can call it lazy. Then again you're probably not a software developer who's been dragged back from holiday after a product has shipped because your project manager forgot to include something crucial in the spec.
But, but, BUT ... why a code? Why not just a free download? Or can the code just be re-used or something?
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:11 am

Sel Feena wrote:A new Akiba game from Acquire? Yes please

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl3dF_M-YQ4
Yeah, glad to hear about this myself. Its going to be an action RPG this time though, so I wonder how good the combat will be. The last game didn't have the deepest combat, but I appreciated what it was going for. It was the closest thing to getting a Yakuza game on the Vita.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:38 pm

Seems like my PS4 controller is dead, even with trying to charge in rest mode and seeing the controller pulse orange it'll cut out right away. Also reconfirmed the USBs are fine by charging a mate's Galaxy with it. That's 40 quid for a replacement I didn't want to spend.

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:49 pm

Just bought a new PS4 controller (blue) to make sure my kids know it's the dad's controller as others are working but bit damaged! My son had a voucher and bought unravelled which looks really interesting. Boy has good taste I think!

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:14 pm

PS4 gets the free-to-play mmorpg Neverwinter this summer. It's not a bad game and rather huge now it has been expanded. I've played worse.

The same squad are bringing their Star Trek mmo over to consoles later this year. I'll be giving it a spin because ... Star Trek.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:05 pm

Matt_B wrote:They've since clarified that they'd have needed to do extra development work to put a menu on the disk to launch multiple games:

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/05/27/ther ... undle-disc

So yeah, you can call it lazy. Then again you're probably not a software developer who's been dragged back from holiday after a product has shipped because your project manager forgot to include something crucial in the spec.
I'd call it lazy myself. A menu should just be a standard thing. Guess nobody was on holiday when they did the XBO version!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Joey

Post by Joey » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:28 pm

Sel Feena wrote:Seems like my PS4 controller is dead, even with trying to charge in rest mode and seeing the controller pulse orange it'll cut out right away. Also reconfirmed the USBs are fine by charging a mate's Galaxy with it. That's 40 quid for a replacement I didn't want to spend.
Might be worth just replacing the battery than spend £40!

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:20 pm

Goatze simulator is ace.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:48 am

Just a general heads up: there's a couple of promotions on Xbox One that may be of interest to a few of you if you've got Gold.

Rocket League is free to play until sunday. Worth a look if you want to try it out or just unlock a few free achievements etc.

EA Access is free for ten days from June 12th. Again, it's a good way to cane a game you wouldn't normally buy. I'm going to check out the Garden Warfare games and play some Rory Mcthingy golf.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:54 pm

Lego Sonic looks like something that hides under your bed and licks toilet seats, what the hell.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:02 pm

Lego Sonic sounds like something hes agent says when hes asking for one more good game

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:58 pm

If anyone is looking for a great platformer for the PS4 I recommend N++. After spending lots of time on the later levels this week I'm now completely hooked on the game. The first few levels are very easy going to ease you into how the game feels and plays, then things gently ramp up as you go. There are dozens of levels to get through (I've put over 30 hours into the game so far, and I've still got loads of expert levels left). Each stage starts out just being a few seconds long, then they get longer/harder as you go. Best comparison I can think of is Super Meat Boy, in terms of short, fast paced levels. I pretty much prefer it to most of the AAA games released this year, I'm really loving the indie output lately, really hoping to see more of Cup Head at E3 next week.

Couple of quick vids of N++ I took of some of my better runs/favourite levels:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89iddap2sBA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5fGGrDqjmY
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

32Bitter

Post by 32Bitter » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:56 am

The Beans wrote: EA Access is free for ten days from June 12th. Again, it's a good way to cane a game you wouldn't normally buy. I'm going to check out the Garden Warfare games and play some Rory Mcthingy golf.
I tried to get that 'free play days' thing for EA Access but I am scared you automatically get signed up. There is no mention that its free for 10 days. Or am I looking in the wrong place?
EDIT: I was tried to access it to early...I can see the offer now!

Just got my X-One two weeks ago and now a slim is coming out!
Don't think!....Feel!.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:24 pm

Heads up: just announced at E3, Limbo is free to download for all Xbox One owners starting today.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:35 pm

The Beans wrote:Heads up: just announced at E3, Limbo is free to download for all Xbox One owners starting today.
cool. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD