The XBOX ONE / PS4 discussion thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

aztecca

Re: The XBOX ONE / PS4 discussion thread

Post by aztecca » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:07 pm

Had my xb1 a couple of months now and very pleased with it.Glad i got it.Got blops3 and star wars on pre order.cant wait for gears 4.Not a big fan of remakes but am excited about the gears of war ultimate edition.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

gman72

Post by gman72 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:19 pm

the one is a class machine despite its flaws, so far this E3 has only made it a better prospect for gamers. That said the PS4 is a nice bit of kit too. Get both as and when you can afford it.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:26 pm

Currently my boradband is only running at 4mb, am I right in thinking this isn't going to cut it for the XB1?

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:08 pm

Negative Creep wrote:Currently my boradband is only running at 4mb, am I right in thinking this isn't going to cut it for the XB1?
You'll be able to connect and everything but you'll get hammered by the updates and patches. They can be really large.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:25 pm

The MS conference at E3 sealed the deal, I'll be upgrading to an Xbox One in time for the Rare collection.

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:11 pm

Negative Creep wrote:Currently my boradband is only running at 4mb, am I right in thinking this isn't going to cut it for the XB1?
Will be fine mine isnt much better.The first day or two when you need to do updates for older titles can take a while as they are quite large.After that you can go into your settings and set it to do all the updates while its in standby when your not playing.Multiplayer online has been fine except if i am playing fifa against someone in peru and they still have a dial up connection.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:04 am

Was just thinking about getting shot of the PS4 then they go and announce Shenmue 3!

I'm really hoping the Xbox One/360 backwards compatability is nothing like the current 360/original Xbox BC, but at the moment it seems a bit pointless, 100-200 of there selected games is no good, they need to make EVERY game work on it if they want people to dump the 360 and upgrade to the One
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:12 am

Rayne wrote:The MS conference at E3 sealed the deal, I'll be upgrading to an Xbox One in time for the Rare collection.
They had me at Jet Force Gemini but its a dam sweet package, especially for fans of retro gaming.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:06 am

gman72 wrote:
Rayne wrote:The MS conference at E3 sealed the deal, I'll be upgrading to an Xbox One in time for the Rare collection.
They had me at Jet Force Gemini but its a dam sweet package, especially for fans of retro gaming.
Absolutely! The addition of 10,000 gamerscore was the cherry on the cake. For someone like me it's an incentive to play through each and every one of the titles as thoroughly as possible.

Analog

Post by Analog » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:16 am

backwards compatibility for xboxone is a huge deal for me, i'm edging more towards the idea of getting an xboxone now. not sure if I can afford it for a while but I am so pleased they are doing this.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:42 am

Rayne wrote:
gman72 wrote:
Absolutely! The addition of 10,000 gamerscore was the cherry on the cake. For someone like me it's an incentive to play through each and every one of the titles as thoroughly as possible.
I know, right? That's literally months of amazing RARE retro gaming. Im gonna start at the earliest game and do a history play through one after the next... gonna be amazing. Although the temptation to just jump into Jet Force Gemini will be high. :D

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:10 am

Grabbed by the Ghoulies for me. Such an underrated game.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:20 pm

AceGrace wrote:Grabbed by the Ghoulies for me. Such an underrated game.
I always thought it was a charming little game but only this morning I read on another forum a post by someone slating it as the worst game in the compilation. Not by a long shot.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:54 pm

watching E3 and it's the xbone for me at the moment, still a month or so to change my mind but already been looking around the web to see what are the best offers at the moment.

I think the next 12 months are looking brilliant for gamers with many potential classics due to be released.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:59 pm

Watching more of that Rare Replay collection has me more hyped. The challenge mode for example is exactly the kind of thing I like to see in collections, taking certain moments of games and then building a certain challenge around it, or just replaying awesome moments again and again. Hopefully Blast Corps will have some decent missions in the collection, its game design practically screams out for it anyway...
One thing I've not read though (which I assume will be addressed) is the controls and frame rates for the N64 games. Stuff like Jet Force Gemini and Conker are awesome but could really do with better controls/frame rates - JFG especially would benefit from twin stick aiming.

Either way, this along with the Megaman collection fills my retro collection quota for the Summer, both have hours of entertainment in them...
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*