GRID 2

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

DreamcastRIP

Re: GRID 2

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:14 pm

Cheers, Space Turnip. Some of those comments quoted did read like they were a little OTT. The GRID games, to me at least, appear as though Codies were aiming for an arcade racer-type general experience peppered with sim-like pretensions for 'added realism'. Kinda like they were making a Gran Turismo-type game but without the tediousness and with some 'fun' injected. The GRID series isn't directly targeting the market occupied by the likes of Race '07 as far as I can tell. Whether some of the marketing has implied otherwise is something I don't know.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:29 pm

Yeah, Arcade game with sim-like qualities sums it up really - I like to think of it as what Sega's arcade racing heritage would now be like if they had got a big fat license to go with things. :D It's certainly not Race 07 that's for sure, as much as I enjoy the Race games, Grid's just to get your adrenalin pumping in close, frantic races. As I've said before, Grid 2 is to Race like Sensi is to Fifa - not realistic, physics made up, but all about gameplay!

Game is great. I've now just got the finals in Japan WSR to do and then...well i dunno. I presume that's not the end of the Single player as I've not exactly played it for ages. There's a couple more irritating bits (I really don't like the drift events, I've had two checkpoint races where it seems the times are well off, which is presumably a bug, and I'm sorry but the lack of a dashboard view is just plain annoying!), and there's still not enough touring car for my liking, but hell, it ain't half enjoyable!

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:57 pm

I can't believe that utter crap you read over on the HotUKDeals site DC :shock: Utter utter twaddle!
If you enjoyed Grid then you will love Grid2. End of.

BUT how I wish they would do another TOCA game with pure Touring car racing.....
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:05 pm

Just added a comment on HUKD site :D

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:23 pm

Now done the Asian region WSR events, onto the world wide ones!

Now the more powerful cars are coming in as well, love the touring cars. The Drift events are awful, much worse than the ones in Grid, but they're easily skippable. The actual on track action though is excellent. Worth the wait!

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:14 am

markopoloman wrote:I can't believe that utter crap you read over on the HotUKDeals site DC :shock: Utter utter twaddle!
If you enjoyed Grid then you will love Grid2. End of.

BUT how I wish they would do another TOCA game with pure Touring car racing.....
Hey, I was just browsing for a nice price for the game and thought to have a look at the feedback comments so don't be shooting the messenger, lol!

Like I said, I definitely will be getting Grid 2 (PC) in due course. Until that day please do continue playtesting it for me in order to help iron out the bugs so it's patched in time for when I buy it. :lol:

I've not played a TOCA game since TOCA Race Driver 3: Challenge (PSP) in 2007 which was a pretty decent effort albeit a bit of a handful to play. In fairness, that was likely due to a combination of PSP's dire ergonomics and my lack of skill. :lol:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:05 am

Worth buying this from GoG then?
http://www.gog.com/gamecard/race_driver_grid
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:45 am

Yep well worth the fiver or so.. Although you could have had it for £2.69 a couple of months back on the 360 during a XBL sale...

As for Grid 2, I'm waiting for the price drop and I'm still only halfway through Grid 1 despite owning it for donkeys, it was the first game I bought with my then new 360 over 4 years ago :oops:

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:14 am

Played Grid 2 last night. Just seemed like most driving games these days. It's good, but I'm kinda over all the 'duuude' announcers and 'extreme' presentation styles. I remember being blown away by Grid 1, this seems like a good game but I don't have time to play it with lots of other games on the go. It's pretty tough as well. Or seemed it in the hour or so I played.

Joey

Post by Joey » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:34 pm

Anyone here I can add to my Steam friends list? as no one on mine is playing it and its boring being the top of every leader board!

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:23 am

Played online last night when I got in from work (this place was broken). Started at 1am... by the time I noticed the glow of the blue clock on my keyboard it was too late (or early)! 4.45am :lol: :lol:

Played with a group of guys - most from the UK and had a fantastic laugh! If you get the right people to play against, you are guaranteed to lose half your night - or maybe forget to sleep completely :lol:

supermario

Post by supermario » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:56 am

Arrived yesterday - not had much time to play it but what I have done is pretty good !

Joey

Post by Joey » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:03 am

Only a handful of races in but its just as I expected, it looks and plays great. I've left it on the graphic settings it defaulted to (High) and its silky smooth!

There is, however, that overwhelming feeling that Codies are really catering for the US audience, and probably a bit too much in my opinion. I know this isn't anything new and you could say it started to happen as far back as the original TOCA Race Driver but especially the Dirt series (and I love Dirt 2 which is probably the biggest offender) it seems they are loosing a little bit of their 'roots' in the Touring Car side of things.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:52 am

Thought I'd have a little blast online yesterday - the online playlist section is fantastic!

I never play games online as I'm usually so bad it's just frustrating, but this game seems to get it right. It groups you with people who are of a similar level, but also tries to match you with drivers who are as "dirty" or "clean" as you. I'm not winning many races, but I'm getting mid-table finishes, slowly collecting cash, and my garage is nicely building up.

Some races are still carnage though :lol:

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:14 am

Amazingly, I was in a race with 11 others yesterday - they were using Golf's and Focus hot hatches and I mistakenly used a horrible yanky thing that grips the road like jelly!! 5 races later and somehow I managed to come 1st!!!!! :shock: :lol: :lol:

The Americans really can't build a good car - can they! :roll: