GRID 2

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

djcarlos

GRID 2

Post by djcarlos » Tue May 21, 2013 7:47 am

So....anyone else excited by GRID 2?

The previews sound amazing, first game I've preordered for a long time......

JaguarWong

Re: GRID 2

Post by JaguarWong » Tue May 21, 2013 7:55 am

I've pre-ordered too - though not for myself, as a present for my bro-in-law.
He'll be bringing it straight to mine for some local MP though.

I'm a bit concerned by some of the things Codies did with Dirt 3 - but on the whole I'm really looking forward to giving this a blast.

Joey

Post by Joey » Tue May 21, 2013 8:04 am

Got it ordered for PC.

Codies have been showing it off a lot recently with live streams and trailers, its looking fantastic.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Tue May 21, 2013 8:06 am

djcarlos wrote:So....anyone else excited by GRID 2?
Hell yes! The video trailers and other previews I've seen of the game look to be very promising indeed and the graphics, particularly so the PC version, look jaw droppingly good, imho.

I've seen it available on pre-order for around £20-£21 (PC version, inc. some DLC but not all the DLC Steamworks are offering for £26.99) but haven't pre-ordered just yet.

I'm been looking forward to this game's release as much as any other game in recent times and the only two things which I've question marks over so far are,

* the game's TrueFeel car handling physics/assistance - some folk on forums fear that this will reduce the game to that of another dumbed down console-type racing sim
* whether it'll be a DLC-fest - the early signs aren't too encouraging, imho
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Tue May 21, 2013 8:34 am

If all the hype is correct and it really does strike a balance between sim and arcade I can see myself pouring a lot of time into this.

I really like the storyline idea - Codies, please be as good as you claim!

In other news - I mentioned in another thread that I was still trying to find a game featuring a Mk 2 Scirocco - and I have! Midnight Club LA!

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue May 21, 2013 11:08 am

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh Yes! Pre-ordered yonks ago through Greenman Gaming for £20. All I hope is that they haven't broken Grid. If the cars handle the same as Grid then it'll be a HUGE WIN for me.

Obviously, it is the PC version. :mrgreen:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Tue May 21, 2013 12:16 pm

Oh yes, very excited! In fact it's the only game I'm in anyway excited about at the moment!

I shall be buying it on PC ready for the incoming new super-PC, but until then I shall be 360'ing it. As usual, I've stayed away from most previews, but from what I've seen, it looks amazing. Just hope, like MPM says, they don't ruin the handling and make it soemthing it's not.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Tue May 21, 2013 7:10 pm

Definitely excited! I consider Grid one of the best racers around, definitely in my top 3 "current gen" racers, and the previews look great. If everything goes well it might be the game of the year for me.

Haven't ordered it yet, I'd prefer to play it on the X360, I'll get it as soon as I see a good offer.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Tue May 21, 2013 9:48 pm

What about the rewind feature? Does everyone want to see that return? I really disliked it to begin with, but after a few weeks I actually got used to it. It's actually quite a cool innovation for the genre, although I could ever imagine using it in a game like Outrun (even though they are different types of racer).

I'd like it to be updated in Grid 2. Hopefully we can hear "Re-e-wind, when the crowd say Bo Selecta" everytime you use it :lol:

Joey

Post by Joey » Wed May 22, 2013 2:22 am

I can take or leave the rewind feature.

However having just completed TOCA Race Driver 2, which doesn't have that feature, it's certainly a ball ache to f*ck up on the last corner of a race, drop to the back of the grid and have to restart from the beggining.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Wed May 22, 2013 3:31 am

I like the rewind button - it definitely makes you push it occasionally and get a tasty adrenaline-rush corner!

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed May 22, 2013 9:09 am

djcarlos wrote:I like the rewind button - it definitely makes you push it occasionally and get a tasty adrenaline-rush corner!
+1 :) I've been using the rewind function a fair bit recently when playing another Codies racing game, DiRT 2.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed May 29, 2013 2:51 am

So although the in-car view has been omitted which will likely annoy some of the hardcore the game is garnering some impressive reviews so far :D . A selection of review comments both positive and negative,
...a gorgeous, well-designed game that packs a tonne of variety into both single-player and multiplayer
Grid 2‘s realistic-but-not-too-realistic driving and drifting should be able to pull a squeak of delight out of just about anyone else.
...handling has a foot on each side of the fence; grippy, with a good sense of weight – particularly under heavy braking – but honed to emphasise drifting. It’s a one-size-fits-all model, with no driving aids, but it still clings to one or two of its sim-like characteristics. While the handling errs towards the arcade end of the spectrum, the tight courses and mechanical damage still conspire to keep players thinking two corners ahead at all times.
...course design in general commits the same sin as the last few years of Codemasters racers: the road tracks start to blend into one another thanks to too many repeated segments.
Its continued shift away from its sim pedigree will still disappoint those of us who fondly recall the Race Driver games of old, but it still a great, modern package.
...retains much of what made the first alluring, but falls short of pushing racing games forward like the original.
...but ultimately the game – apart from the LiveRoutes system – isn't the revelation that I was hoping for. Codemasters has proven that it can deliver a compelling racing experience on the track, but we'll have to keep on waiting for the next big leap forward.
The drift system takes centre stage, with drifting incredibly simple to perform, meaning you'll be flying round corners within your first couple of races. What makes it so rewarding, though, is that mastering the system requires a deft touch and there's a real skill to approaching a corner at the right speed, controlling your car during the drift to stop it spinning out or under-shooting, and then exiting the bend with maximum acceleration.
...rewards skill without punishing you for the tiniest mistakes, letting you master a simple system with a forgiving attitude. It may stray too close towards the easy side of the scale at times

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Wed May 29, 2013 6:02 am

Come on Mr Amazon, deliver it early......

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Wed May 29, 2013 8:22 pm

Drifting. Why the feck does every fecking racing game have to go on about drifting? I hate drifting.

As for the game... Pre-Load is ready on Steam... just waiting for the unlock. Really really annoyed that the bloody yanks got the game 3 days before us. Most ridiculous thing ever in this day and age. :evil:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/