8 Bit Driving Games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Mire Mare

Re: 8 Bit Driving Games

Post by Mire Mare » Mon May 27, 2013 4:10 pm

Just remembered the woeful Crazy Cars on c64. I bought this game as a budget release and I'm sure I was naively wooed by the great looking screen shots on the inlay. Great looking screen shots that turned out to be Amiga screen shots!

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Mon May 27, 2013 5:02 pm

Mire Mare wrote:Just remembered the woeful Crazy Cars on c64. I bought this game as a budget release and I'm sure I was naively wooed by the great looking screen shots on the inlay. Great looking screen shots that turned out to be Amiga screen shots!
Not that the Amiga game was any good... :x the only good Crazy Cars game was CC3, but it wasn't released for the 8-bit.
I forgot about Continental Circus, while graphically quite "bare" it was good fun on the C64.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon May 27, 2013 5:34 pm

I loved

Stuntcar racer, Wec le mans, power drift, and Cisco heat on the CPC

along with RC PRO-AM on the NES.

Mancman

Post by Mancman » Mon May 27, 2013 7:32 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:I loved

Power Drift on the CPC was excellent. So was Chase HQ, Stunt Car Racer, Super Sprint, Turbo Esprit and Grand Prix Simulator by Codemasters.

Swainy

Post by Swainy » Wed May 29, 2013 12:23 am

Here's one that I'm working on at the moment... Adding colour as it was released in monochrome even though we were promised a full colour game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTIn8Ni-79A
http://retroasylum.com
The UK's No.1 Retro Gaming Podcast

Misery

Post by Misery » Wed May 29, 2013 2:46 am

Gah so many games I've never heard of! Amstrad, Spectrum, C64, they never had much of a presence here in the States (if at all).

So all I got are:

Rad Racer

RC Pro Am

Both on the NES. To me these are both total classics. Ah, they just dont make things like these anymore, do they....

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed May 29, 2013 4:38 am

Mancman wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:I loved

Power Drift on the CPC was excellent. So was Chase HQ, Stunt Car Racer, Super Sprint, Turbo Esprit and Grand Prix Simulator by Codemasters.
I've also got a soft spot for the early 3D Grand Prix from Amsoft, which was quite a nice looking game for its time even if the gameplay is ultimately a bit shallow.

In similar vein, Burnin' Rubber on the CPC+ has to go down as one of the best looking 8-bit racers, even if it's basically just WEC Le Mans warmed over.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed May 29, 2013 1:07 pm

Misery wrote:Gah so many games I've never heard of! Amstrad, Spectrum, C64, they never had much of a presence here in the States (if at all)
C64 was pretty big in its homeland so I'm told. I can understand the Amstrad and Speccy not making an impression though.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Wed May 29, 2013 1:22 pm

Hiro wrote:
Mire Mare wrote:Just remembered the woeful Crazy Cars on c64. I bought this game as a budget release and I'm sure I was naively wooed by the great looking screen shots on the inlay. Great looking screen shots that turned out to be Amiga screen shots!
Not that the Amiga game was any good... :x the only good Crazy Cars game was CC3, but it wasn't released for the 8-bit.
I forgot about Continental Circus, while graphically quite "bare" it was good fun on the C64.
Yes it was... I foolishly paid full price for it back in the day... I played it to completion.. not a good game by any means.. not terrible either

http://www.lemon64.com/games/details.php?ID=3850

You're right about Continental Circus on C64.. despite it's looks, it plays brilliantly

Has anybody mentioned Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge yet?? I own the C64 version... not a bad game overall

joefish

Post by joefish » Wed May 29, 2013 1:34 pm

Most Speccy racers - even the best ones like Wec Le Mans, Chase HQ and Power Drift - suffered from the cars being too wide and the roads too narrow. (In the arcade those roads are wider than the screen at the bottom edge, yet if you look on most 8-bits the road typically just fits on the screen at the bottom edge). Also the opponent cars often scaled badly, popping up to full size right in front of you. All those combined to make passing far harder than it needed to be, so I'd much rather play a bike racer like Super Hang On where it's easier to slip past your rivals.

The only really early racers I still find fun are the top-down type, and they worked far better on consoles with their map-based scrolling - games like Micro Machines and RC Pro-Am (Gameboy). On home computers we were largely stuck with the Code Master's single-screen 'simulator' efforts, and it took the 16-bit machines to catch up to consoles with the likes of Super Cars. But then there were some better 3D racers like Vroom - which itself got turned into F1 and ended up back on the consoles in various forms.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Wed May 29, 2013 1:37 pm

SexyWayne wrote: Yes it was... I foolishly paid full price for it back in the day... I played it to completion.. not a good game by any means.. not terrible either

http://www.lemon64.com/games/details.php?ID=3850

You're right about Continental Circus on C64.. despite it's looks, it plays brilliantly

Has anybody mentioned Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge yet?? I own the C64 version... not a bad game overall
:shock: I didn't know CC3 was available for the 64! I'm going to check it out... I like the Amiga version.

Lotus was a very good conversion for the 64, not as good as on the Amiga surely, but considering the limitations, and that they managed to keep the split-screen, it was impressive indeed.
Last edited by Hiro on Wed May 29, 2013 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Wed May 29, 2013 1:38 pm

joefish wrote:Most Speccy racers - even the best ones like Wec Le Mans, Chase HQ and Power Drift - suffered from the cars being too wide and the roads too narrow. (In the arcade those roads are wider than the screen at the bottom edge, yet if you look on most 8-bits the road typically just fits on the screen at the bottom edge). Also the opponent cars often scaled badly, popping up to full size right in front of you. All those combined to make passing far harder than it needed to be, so I'd much rather play a bike racer like Super Hang On where it's easier to slip past your rivals.

The only really early racers I still find fun are the top-down type, and they worked far better on consoles with their map-based scrolling - games like Micro Machines and RC Pro-Am (Gameboy). On home computers we were largely stuck with the Code Master's single-screen 'simulator' efforts, and it took the 16-bit machines to catch up to consoles with the likes of Super Cars. But then there were some better 3D racers like Vroom - which itself got turned into F1 and ended up back on the consoles in various forms.
Yeah, you're right about Speccy racers in that regard, especially Wec Le Mans which I played via emulation on the DS just recently. Three opponent cars strung across the road with no way through. Very frustrating indeed. Enduro Racer all the way. (& Super Hang On too)
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Wed May 29, 2013 1:46 pm

joefish wrote:The only really early racers I still find fun are the top-down type, and they worked far better on consoles with their map-based scrolling - games like Micro Machines and RC Pro-Am (Gameboy). On home computers we were largely stuck with the Code Master's single-screen 'simulator' efforts, and it took the 16-bit machines to catch up to consoles with the likes of Super Cars. But then there were some better 3D racers like Vroom - which itself got turned into F1 and ended up back on the consoles in various forms.
Super Cars was available on the 8-bits too, in fact I rate the C64 version higher than the Amiga version...

If you're after Micro Machines on a 8-bit home computer, look no further than Slicks on C64:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5GBICo-QL4

joefish

Post by joefish » Thu May 30, 2013 8:00 am

SexyWayne wrote:Super Cars was available on the 8-bits too, in fact I rate the C64 version higher than the Amiga version...
Maybe, but only after the focus had shifted to 16-bit machines. There was a 128K Speccy version too, but there were a lot of STs and Amigas around by then to play it on.
SexyWayne wrote:If you're after Micro Machines on a 8-bit home computer, look no further than Slicks on C64:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5GBICo-QL4
The thing I notice there is how the track seems designed so the game doesn't have to do any diagonal scrolling..? But the same thing applies here too - technically it's pretty good but historically 1992 was a bit late in the day for 8-bits. As a game, it's someone back-porting ideas that had already been done better on the consoles and 16-bits. It shows the machine was up to it; it's just no-one had done it in its heyday.

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Thu May 30, 2013 1:16 pm

Ah, I thought you meant that there were no scrolling overhead racers on 8-bit home computers and that we were just lumped with poor Super Sprint clones, and I don't know about you but I didn't have £300 to blow on an Amiga when I was sixteen/seventeen :wink:

As for diagonally scrolling I give you Fast Tracks by Activision released in 1985 (but then it doesn't have vertical or horizontal scrolling either :lol: )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA50GCUkmh0