Obsolete

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

shiftytigger

Re: Obsolete

Post by shiftytigger » Sat May 18, 2013 4:28 pm

Think I must be missing something here? A fair few kids I knew had either a NES or Amiga and I was the first to buy a Megadrive. Not sure why I wouldnt be in the UK? Maybe my dates are a bit out but either way it was definitely 91 or 92 - though it had to be before Sonic 2sday as I went to Gamesmaster live that year and was excitedly looking at all the new things I would be able to play.

So excuse me if I dont have a clue what the point was,Im sure its a salient point nevertheless.

imaxeroker85

Post by imaxeroker85 » Sat May 18, 2013 7:50 pm

It's funny my Master System did me for about 5 years before i wanted a MD, but I didn't make 12 months with the MD once i saw a PS1 display in a store and I played Twisted Metal.

Being insanely into wrestling games, I pretty much gave up on the PS1and N64 when they stopped making them for those consoles and the next one was exclusive to the PS2. Compare that to a generation later where they made Ps2/360 versions of the Smackdown games for about 5 years, before exclusively making them for the PS3/360.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat May 18, 2013 9:02 pm

Usually, when you see your machines software titles being dumped at bargain prices that's a sign. Although I never mind that as I stick on them and keeps me going for a few months!

However, once you go into a store looking for new games, and there are few or none, and you ask if they have any for 'x' and you get that laugh like 'you're still playing THAT?!' ...Game over :lol:

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Sun May 19, 2013 12:21 pm

None

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Sun May 19, 2013 1:25 pm

Its only obsolete if you no longer want to use it. My PS1 console would now be obsolete to me as I can use newer hardware to play the games. A Spectrum in my current flat would be impractical but I can still enjoy the games on my laptop I think obsolete matters more to people like those I work with. Anything previous to the stuff they play now is old and crappy. If I get like that I dont want to call myself a gamer anymore.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sun May 19, 2013 1:54 pm

It's funny, I struggle to play games on older platforms now (specifically early 3D titles on PS1/Saturn) due to the graphics, yet I can't think of one example where I've bought a new console and instantly ditched my previous platform.

killbot

Post by killbot » Sun May 19, 2013 5:36 pm

It's never really happened to me. The Wii U is the first time I've gotten a console at launch, usually I wait a year or two and continue mopping up games for my existing, about-to-be-obsolete machine while they're cheap and plentiful.

That said, I did get a Saturn in 1995 - but I still used my Amiga regularly until probably 2000 or even later. Very different machines with different gaming styles.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun May 19, 2013 5:48 pm

I knew we were ready for the next gen when I played on a Wii U.

Oh wait . . . . .

:lol:

kaiserspike

Post by kaiserspike » Mon May 20, 2013 7:59 am

When i saw the PSX in action for the first time, made sh!t of the 16 bit consoles
Destiny!.... you cannot destroy my destiny!

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Mon May 20, 2013 8:51 am

I've never seen a PSX in action but I wouldn't imagine the games play any differently to that of a normal NTSC-J PS2. :mrgreen:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Mon May 20, 2013 9:03 am

Seeing Command and Conquer on my mates 486 PC made me realise my Amiga had had it's day. That and Championship Manager 2. Their version of SWOS was pants by comparison though.

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon May 20, 2013 9:24 am

TV consoles made TV and board games look like stuff old people would do. Except maybe when Doctor Who was on or Star Wars was being shown at Christmas.

Pretty much anything on the Speccy showed up those TV consoles as old hat. The likes of Manic Miner and Ad Astra were the future.

Xenon was a good one for showing how ancient the Speccy was. But so were any 320x200x16 colour versions of games that were monochrome on the Speccy (Head over Heels), especially if they were coverted from colourful arcade games (New Zealand Story). Got an ST as the bare minimum - couldn't afford an Amiga.

Wolfenstein 3D with the textured walls (thanks to the byte-per-pixel graphics mode instead of bitplanes) was the giveaway that the PC was taking over from the ST/Amiga in games. They were neck-and-neck with consoles really as the consoles had better 2D games but the computers did great (flat-filled) 3D. Still stuck with the ST though until consoles went 3D. Tekken was a good one for showing up PCs, as well as Wipeout. It wasn't that PCs could match it; it was just that the PC equivalent would cost a few grand at the time.

Wreckless: The Yakuza Missions on the XBox was the next one that blew me away, with its lighting, particle effects and reflections. Up until then the PS2 wasn't really showing much more than the very best of the last of the PS1 titles (Tekken 3, Wipeout 3SE). Had to have an XBox.

Then the Wii was a bit of a make-do, to play the latest Zelda, as the PS3 price was ridiculous and the 360 was only offering a string of sequels from the original XBox. But eventually it was comparing the likes of Excite Truck to MotorStorm that made me dump the Wii for a PS3. The 'Wii U' didn't factor in at all.