Obsolete

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

theantmeister

Obsolete

Post by theantmeister » Wed May 15, 2013 4:28 pm

What game made you realise your favourite old system was past it?

For me, it was my first computer, my IBM XT. It had managed to wheeze through loads of classics, but then King's Quest V came along and was just too much. KQV was the first Sierra game that used their fancy new point and click user interface and was EGA/VGA only and came on high density floppies. I eventually managed to hack it to work on the XT, but it was horrible. It was so slow, it took 5 minutes to walk across a single screen. The beautiful VGA scenery in the screenshots was just a mess of orange dots, you couldn't make out any clickable items. The orchestral Adlib soundtrack was reduced to a squealing PC speaker racket.

Then I got a Megadrive for Christmas and forgot about computers for a few years :lol:

jdanddiet

Re: Obsolete

Post by jdanddiet » Wed May 15, 2013 4:32 pm

haha great topic!

Spectrum was when games came on multi loads, you played for a few mins then had to load the next level in :shock:
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Wed May 15, 2013 4:44 pm

jdanddiet wrote:haha great topic!

Spectrum was when games came on multi loads, you played for a few mins then had to load the next level in :shock:
Where is your stamina? Mind you it could get annoying with multi loads on both sides then and seperate tape you borrowed of your mate Roger LOL

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Thu May 16, 2013 4:18 am

Multiloads weren't an issue for me as they usually loaded all in at once if you had a 128k Speccy.

For me its when I got a PC mid 96 and upon loading Duke Nukem on CD I realized that my Amiga A1200 was going to be relegated to the attic.

RUOK

Post by RUOK » Thu May 16, 2013 4:31 am

Seeing Super Hang On and Golden Axe on my mates Mega Drive and realising my Master System was old hat :(

pantal00ns

Post by pantal00ns » Thu May 16, 2013 4:53 am

Playing Doom on the PC then relegating all other hardware to make room for the BFG.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Thu May 16, 2013 4:58 am

pantal00ns wrote:Playing Doom on the PC then relegating all other hardware to make room for the BFG.
I approve but would say Doom just made all gaming before it obsolete (in some ways)

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Thu May 16, 2013 8:05 am

Doddsy wrote:Multiloads weren't an issue for me as they usually loaded all in at once if you had a 128k Speccy.
Even a lot of the '128K only' games had multiload towards the end....Speccy Final Fight and Street Fighter 2 in particular had horrific multiloads.

Playing Street Fighter 2 and Zelda: Link To The Past on my brand new (at the time) SNES made me realise more than anything else that my old Speccy wasn't going to be my main gaming platform going forward.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Thu May 16, 2013 9:59 am

Wipeout made everything 16 bit look utterly prehistoric, as did F-Zero before it. When I saw those games running for the first time, you knew the next generations were a massive step forward

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Thu May 16, 2013 10:13 am

seeing mario 64 in action for the first time on a japanese n64
suddenly the snes and megadrive looked woefully inadequate
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu May 16, 2013 10:21 am

Seeing the likes of Xenon, Speedball and Kick Off in action on the local games shop's Atari ST in the late '80s made me realise my Speccy was old hat.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Roo

Post by Roo » Thu May 16, 2013 10:52 am

Mickey Mania and FIFA 95 on the Mega Drive made all of my other Game Boy and Master System games look mince. I don't recall buying or asking for a single Master System game after my brother and I received a Mega Drive for Christmas in 1994, and I definitely didn't buy another Game Boy game until Pokémon in 1999. Everything just looked so rubbish by comparison to what I could play on the Mega Drive.

Same thing when the N64 came out - it was a long ten months between playing Super Mario 64 in Beatties before the UK launch and receiving it for my birthday in December. As an eight year old I didn't think that anything on PlayStation, Mega Drive or elsewhere could compare to the likes of Wave Race 64 and Mario Kart 64.

Haven't felt like any of my consoles are obsolete since.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Fri May 17, 2013 4:14 pm

Bought my own Megadrive when I first realised / had to admit that in 1991 the Speccy was no longer the height of technology. Everyone one else was playing NES or Amiga and , being not particularly well off I was making the most of what we had. Luckily I made the decision to use my hard earned paper round money and tips to buy something I desperately wanted. I kept my speccy and played on it till the bitter end (even after getting my MD) but ultimately knew that its time was ending.

Even as I played to death the only game I had I knew I had made the right decision , to this day I remember gawping at the beast transformation in amazement. Looks crappy now but back then WOW.

The thing that made me realise even my original lusting after a NES was wasted was when my dad bought me Castle of Illusion and my mom bought me Strider, then Afterburner 2 and Streets of Rage. Castle of Illusion just looked superb , Strider may have been easy but it looks great , Afterburner 2 may not have been arcade perfect but it did a good job of harking back to seaside days. Then I played Streets of Rage and that was it - my speccy blew up and though I missed playing Midnight Resistance at first I then found it was on MD too.

My two favourite machines - one made way for the other but now I realise they will both always stick with me forever , no matter how much better the MD was and how primitive it made the speccy look at the time. Now I play Speccy via emulation nearly as much as my MD and thats still quite a lot.

Now you can all wake up again.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat May 18, 2013 8:16 am

shiftytigger wrote:Bought my own Megadrive when I first realised / had to admit that in 1991 the Speccy was no longer the height of technology. Everyone one else was playing NES or Amiga
I take it you weren't living in the UK at the time then? :wink:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Spector

Post by Spector » Sat May 18, 2013 3:56 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
shiftytigger wrote:Bought my own Megadrive when I first realised / had to admit that in 1991 the Speccy was no longer the height of technology. Everyone one else was playing NES or Amiga
I take it you weren't living in the UK at the time then? :wink:
Ha! Ha! It's the old revisionist history gag!

Even so, I think it's quite right when the tigger says the Speccy still has an appeal despite the fact it's so much more primitive than the Megadrive. One replaced the other, but that "other" isn't really obsolete - the best games still hold up.

As for me, the moment I realised the game was up for the Spectrum was when my mum came home with the June 1990 issue of C&VG (Turtles cover - still got the free poster inside!) and I saw the screenshots of Final Blow and DJ Boy for the Megadrive and Formation soccer for the PC Engine. Some of the Amiga/ST screens just smashed my head in too, and I couldn't really look at the dear old Speccy the same way after that.
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)