Atari Jaguar American flag?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RodimusPrime

Re: Atari Jaguar American flag?

Post by RodimusPrime » Sat May 25, 2013 1:30 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:
Have to admit though that I am not entirely convinced, not sure I can trust a review site that gives Cybermorph and White men can't junp scores like 8 and 7 out of ten, but I will have a read through anyway.

I am just going to knock 2 points from each score on there to get a more realistic idea.
ha :D

only two points??? thats very generous of you! :lol:
Having read a few more reviews, I would have to agree.

But in a way I like it like that, its interesting to read reviews from someone who has a passion about a certain platform, even when it takes over and clouds judgement a little. I admire the passion and dedication though.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat May 25, 2013 1:32 pm

RodimusPrime wrote: Looks interesting and I will have a read through to get some ideas.

Have to admit though that I am not entirely convinced, not sure I can trust a review site that gives Cybermorph and White men can't junp scores like 8 and 7 out of ten, but I will have a read through anyway.

I am just going to knock 2 points from each score on there to get a more realistic idea.

I have Iron soldier on order, and having loved brutal sports on the amiga, will be after that next.
I will never understand the hate Cyber Morph gets from some people. I think they forget how ground breaking it was at the time and how many awards it won, including game of the show at CES and game of the year in the American press.

As for WMCJ, I can see why some people might dislike it but in 4-player mode it's a right laugh.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat May 25, 2013 1:32 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:
HalcyonDaze00 wrote:

ha :D

only two points??? thats very generous of you! :lol:
Having read a few more reviews, I would have to agree.

But in a way I like it like that, its interesting to read reviews from someone who has a passion about a certain platform, even when it takes over and clouds judgement a little. I admire the passion and dedication though.
I won't bother in future :roll:

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat May 25, 2013 2:26 pm

The Laird wrote:I will never understand the hate Cyber Morph gets from some people. I think they forget how ground breaking it was at the time and how many awards it won, including game of the show at CES and game of the year in the American press.
Cybermorph is okay from what I have played. A solid 7/10 at least. Not amazing and a bit barren but I can see how it would have been impressive back in the day and for a pack-in game you really can't complain.

Shame I can't see myself ever affording the CD unit because Battlemorph looks a lot cooler and I'd love to play it.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat May 25, 2013 2:33 pm

Megamixer wrote:
The Laird wrote:I will never understand the hate Cyber Morph gets from some people. I think they forget how ground breaking it was at the time and how many awards it won, including game of the show at CES and game of the year in the American press.
Cybermorph is okay from what I have played. A solid 7/10 at least. Not amazing and a bit barren but I can see how it would have been impressive back in the day and for a pack-in game you really can't complain.

Shame I can't see myself ever affording the CD unit because Battlemorph looks a lot cooler and I'd love to play it.
It get's better as you progress but Battle Morph is simply amazing, a far superior game on every way. One of my favourite games of that generation without doubt.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun May 26, 2013 5:30 am

The Laird wrote:
Megamixer wrote:

It get's better as you progress but Battle Morph is simply amazing, a far superior game on every way. One of my favourite games of that generation without doubt.
I would love to get a CD unit at some point, I really would. Problem being is that while I quite enjoy a blast on the jaguar every now and then, I just dont like it enough to get into it that much further unless I can pick up some games and a cd unit at a bargain price.

As for Cybermorph, I really cant stand the game, I appreciate some people enjoy it but its just not for me. I can appreciate the free roaming technical side of things and what it did at the time but it lacks gameplay and excitement for me.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:16 pm

well, I have just sourced a cheap CD unit ( 4th one I have ever owned ) hopefully this one works.

have to resist the urge to buy games for it until I can find out what condition it is in.

mainvein

Post by mainvein » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:32 am

Finally got my jag out to test and it has a green led so it's a pal machine in a jap box. How very random

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:39 am

mainvein wrote:Finally got my jag out to test and it has a green led so it's a pal machine in a jap box. How very random
Ah, bummer :(

mainvein

Post by mainvein » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:58 pm

The Laird wrote:
mainvein wrote:Finally got my jag out to test and it has a green led so it's a pal machine in a jap box. How very random
Ah, bummer :(

Yep, but on the plus sides I finally got it out so I can play tempest 2000, ANSI bloody love it. Fantastic game, had it for about a year now and only just got round to playing it

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:53 am

For shame!!!!

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:34 pm

Yeah, I only have the DOS version of Tempest 2000 and I love it.

mainvein

Post by mainvein » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:37 pm

i downloaded the demo of space giraffe today too after playing tempest 2000, much prefer tempest, can at least see whats going on :D

now i believe that there may be some good jaguar games after all, any others worth investigating, i only have the ones that came with the machine, so aliens v predator, club drive, dino dudes, pitfall, cybermorph

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:03 pm

mainvein wrote:i downloaded the demo of space giraffe today too after playing tempest 2000, much prefer tempest, can at least see whats going on :D

now i believe that there may be some good jaguar games after all, any others worth investigating, i only have the ones that came with the machine, so aliens v predator, club drive, dino dudes, pitfall, cybermorph
Loads! Do you have the new Retro Gamer yet with my Atari Jaguar Minority Report? That has 21 games worth buying in it.

You can always take a look at my Jaguar review guide HERE too if you wish :D

ciderman

Post by ciderman » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:43 am

I am a big fan of Tempest 2000, a breath taking game, remains so, and streets ahead of the version brought out later for the more established consoles.
The Saturn and PS versions, I have them, just can't do the graphical tricks Minter pulled out of the Jag hardware.
Space Giraffe is fine but it isn't a Tempest game, does share DNA though.

The best Tempest I've played is Tempest 3000, I had it on the Nuon for 8 years and it was both the only game worth playing on that doomed format but also a damn good reason for the £400+ outlay for the Nuon itself and the game, stunning stuff, looks best on a plasma panel, the colours against the black backgrounds are incredible, as is the music, magnificent.
Colecovision under repair! Superior Donkey Kong incoming!!