Atari Jaguar American flag?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

tux
Posts: 311
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:55 am

Re: Atari Jaguar American flag?

Post by tux » Wed May 15, 2013 2:15 pm

@The laird. Cheers..... games would be my first question?! I can just about see in the pic this one has AVP,Sydicate and Doom-all boxed with it(well i assume there are games in the boxes!), what game do you suggest would be a must have? I seem to distantly rememeber Tempest getting decent reviews back in the day? Also was cybermorph packaged with all the consoles when new, or just some?

@adippm82, im not sure whats with it yet. This was a complete blind punt at a big load of consoles and games in one-being sold by a non-game dealer. Fingers crossed its got any cables at-all :lol:

Assuming i havent had my trousers pulled down and scammed, ill post pictures in the relevant thread when it arrives.

User avatar
The Laird
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:01 am
Location: Luton
Contact:

Re: Atari Jaguar American flag?

Post by The Laird » Wed May 15, 2013 2:20 pm

tux wrote:@The laird. Cheers..... games would be my first question?! I can just about see in the pic this one has AVP,Sydicate and Doom-all boxed with it(well i assume there are games in the boxes!), what game do you suggest would be a must have? I seem to distantly rememeber Tempest getting decent reviews back in the day? Also was cybermorph packaged with all the consoles when new, or just some?

@adippm82, im not sure whats with it yet. This was a complete blind punt at a big load of consoles and games in one-being sold by a non-game dealer. Fingers crossed its got any cables at-all :lol:

Assuming i havent had my trousers pulled down and scammed, ill post pictures in the relevant thread when it arrives.
Must have games for me would be Missile Command 3D, Tempest 2000, Protector: SE, Power Drive Rally, Alien Vs. Predator, Doom, Super Burnout, Raiden, Iron SOldier 1&2, I-War, Ultra Vortek, Rayman, Worms and Ruiner Pinball.

Or for a more detailed look at things you might want to read my Atari Jaguar review guide where I have covered every single game available for the machine on both cartridge and CD.

And what adippm82 said - a SCART cable for the Jaguar is a must have, RF on it is terrible. I also recommend getting the Pro Controller, it is far superior to the standard joypad that comes with the machine.

User avatar
mainvein
Posts: 2682
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:32 am
Location: leeds
Contact:

Re: Atari Jaguar American flag?

Post by mainvein » Wed May 15, 2013 6:00 pm

Is that jap box rare then? I have that exact one, will have to dig it out and have a good look at it, never really noticed the jap text before somehow
Image

User avatar
The Laird
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:01 am
Location: Luton
Contact:

Re: Atari Jaguar American flag?

Post by The Laird » Wed May 15, 2013 6:08 pm

mainvein wrote:Is that jap box rare then? I have that exact one, will have to dig it out and have a good look at it, never really noticed the jap text before somehow
Incredibly, they are very sought after.

User avatar
mainvein
Posts: 2682
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:32 am
Location: leeds
Contact:

Re: Atari Jaguar American flag?

Post by mainvein » Fri May 24, 2013 12:02 pm

Image

finally dug it out to have a look at my random atari jaguar in a uk box with a japanese sticker for aliens v predator on it. The machine has an english label on it, english instructions and adverts, flyers etc but randomly aliens v predator has jap instructions like the sticker.

all very odd and i cant believe i never noticed it before, but does anyone know what the deal is with this version then? Is it an import box and game (game is in english from what i remember) and then uk innards?
Image

User avatar
DreamcastRIP
Posts: 9376
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:40 am
Location: England

Re: Atari Jaguar American flag?

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri May 24, 2013 12:12 pm

mainvein wrote:Image

finally dug it out to have a look at my random atari jaguar in a uk box with a japanese sticker for aliens v predator on it. The machine has an english label on it, english instructions and adverts, flyers etc but randomly aliens v predator has jap instructions like the sticker.

all very odd and i cant believe i never noticed it before, but does anyone know what the deal is with this version then? Is it an import box and game (game is in english from what i remember) and then uk innards?
Yep, that all sounds legit. The Japan release of AvP is known to have its manual localised so yours is entirely normal - the game itself wasn't localised for Japan. It's an Jag' someone imported here from Japan. It'll very likely fetch a mint on ebay - make sure you list it as available to USA-based ebay customers though if you want to pull in the largest market of Jag' collectors.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

User avatar
The Laird
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:01 am
Location: Luton
Contact:

Re: Atari Jaguar American flag?

Post by The Laird » Fri May 24, 2013 1:23 pm

Is the Jaguar itself PAL or NTSC? It should be NTSC if its a Jap model and you should have a Jap user manual too but sounds like the box and game are legit!

User avatar
mainvein
Posts: 2682
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:32 am
Location: leeds
Contact:

Re: Atari Jaguar American flag?

Post by mainvein » Fri May 24, 2013 1:37 pm

The Laird wrote:Is the Jaguar itself PAL or NTSC? It should be NTSC if its a Jap model and you should have a Jap user manual too but sounds like the box and game are legit!
i assume its pal but will fire it up at some point to test it, not used it in years, just scanned the sticker on the machine and its english. Hmmm
Image

User avatar
The Laird
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:01 am
Location: Luton
Contact:

Re: Atari Jaguar American flag?

Post by The Laird » Fri May 24, 2013 1:45 pm

mainvein wrote:
The Laird wrote:Is the Jaguar itself PAL or NTSC? It should be NTSC if its a Jap model and you should have a Jap user manual too but sounds like the box and game are legit!
i assume its pal but will fire it up at some point to test it, not used it in years, just scanned the sticker on the machine and its english. Hmmm
The sticker on it will be, as it was made by IBM in America.

User avatar
Liamh1982
Posts: 8297
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:11 am
Location: Wrexham
Contact:

Re: Atari Jaguar American flag?

Post by Liamh1982 » Fri May 24, 2013 2:47 pm

mainvein wrote:i assume its pal but will fire it up at some point to test it
As Syntesis and I posted earlier in this thread the colour of the power LED is the easiest way to tell which video standard a particular Jag outputs.

User avatar
The Laird
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:01 am
Location: Luton
Contact:

Re: Atari Jaguar American flag?

Post by The Laird » Fri May 24, 2013 3:18 pm

Liamh1982 wrote:
mainvein wrote:i assume its pal but will fire it up at some point to test it
As Syntesis and I posted earlier in this thread the colour of the power LED is the easiest way to tell which video standard a particular Jag outputs.
Yeah I was telling him that at Revival when we had a good chat about it

User avatar
RodimusPrime
Posts: 4141
Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 12:16 pm

Re: Atari Jaguar American flag?

Post by RodimusPrime » Sat May 25, 2013 12:46 pm

One of the few redeeming features the Jaguar actually has is being region free, I was well chuffed when I found out after buying one.

Have to admit, having recently bought a Jag with a few games it is not as terrible as some people say it is, but I can definitely see why it has a bad rep.

Rayman, powerdrive, Raiden, are just as much fun as they are on other systems, but I am having a hard time finding exclusives I like ( Beyond the obvious decent AVP which I really like and Tempest 2000, which is nice but nothing special IMO )

It has certainly provided me with a fir few hours of enjoyment anyway.

User avatar
The Laird
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:01 am
Location: Luton
Contact:

Re: Atari Jaguar American flag?

Post by The Laird » Sat May 25, 2013 1:03 pm

RodimusPrime wrote: Rayman, powerdrive, Raiden, are just as much fun as they are on other systems, but I am having a hard time finding exclusives I like ( Beyond the obvious decent AVP which I really like and Tempest 2000, which is nice but nothing special IMO )
The Jaguar version of Power Drive is an exclusive, it's different to the other versions.

If you want to find some great Jaguar exclusives then take A LOOK HERE!

User avatar
RodimusPrime
Posts: 4141
Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 12:16 pm

Re: Atari Jaguar American flag?

Post by RodimusPrime » Sat May 25, 2013 1:14 pm

The Laird wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote: Rayman, powerdrive, Raiden, are just as much fun as they are on other systems, but I am having a hard time finding exclusives I like ( Beyond the obvious decent AVP which I really like and Tempest 2000, which is nice but nothing special IMO )
The Jaguar version of Power Drive is an exclusive, it's different to the other versions.

If you want to find some great Jaguar exclusives then take A LOOK HERE!
Looks interesting and I will have a read through to get some ideas.

Have to admit though that I am not entirely convinced, not sure I can trust a review site that gives Cybermorph and White men can't junp scores like 8 and 7 out of ten, but I will have a read through anyway.

I am just going to knock 2 points from each score on there to get a more realistic idea.

I have Iron soldier on order, and having loved brutal sports on the amiga, will be after that next.

User avatar
HalcyonDaze00
Posts: 4621
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:20 pm

Re: Atari Jaguar American flag?

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sat May 25, 2013 1:22 pm

Have to admit though that I am not entirely convinced, not sure I can trust a review site that gives Cybermorph and White men can't junp scores like 8 and 7 out of ten, but I will have a read through anyway.

I am just going to knock 2 points from each score on there to get a more realistic idea.
ha :D

only two points??? thats very generous of you! :lol:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Rev. Stuart Campbell and 5 guests