Atari Jaguar American flag?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

tux

Atari Jaguar American flag?

Post by tux » Tue May 14, 2013 1:35 pm

Quick question, i was just about to buy an Atari jaguar until i noticed an American flag on the corner of the box-so i assumed it was an import? Now though, ive looked at a few listed on Ebay and noticed small box changes on the ones listed as "pal" which include some with the flags and some without.
Im a virgin when it comes to Jags(well i owned one for about 4minutes once-unboxed from a boot sale- but it never made it all the way home....)
Would it still be a UK spec one with a flag on it?

Liamh1982

Re: Atari Jaguar American flag?

Post by Liamh1982 » Tue May 14, 2013 2:08 pm

From what I can remember when I still had the box for mine it was simply a proclamation that it was American-made.

Even if it is an NTSC model it shouldn't be too much bother cos IIRC pretty much all Jag software is region-free - five of my six carts have ESRB (i.e. Yank) ratings but play perfectly on my PAL console.

tux

Post by tux » Tue May 14, 2013 2:11 pm

Ah, excellent. Thanks for the reply.

Syntesis

Post by Syntesis » Tue May 14, 2013 2:14 pm

The difference between a US and a PAL Jaguar (AFAIK) is just one trace and an LED. Cut the trace on a PAL system and it effectively becomes American (60Hz). All the game roms are the same, no region differences.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Tue May 14, 2013 2:14 pm

the damn thing is region free ?!

...i never knew that
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Tue May 14, 2013 2:18 pm

Syntesis wrote:The difference between a US and a PAL Jaguar (AFAIK) is just one trace and an LED. Cut the trace on a PAL system and it effectively becomes American (60Hz). All the game roms are the same, no region differences.
Yep - red for NTSC, green for PAL.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue May 14, 2013 2:23 pm

Is the RF output the same on both systems? I'd have thought PAL and NTSC systems used a different modulator. Quite happy to be corrected on that as I'm curious how it works.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue May 14, 2013 2:32 pm

All Jaguar boxes have that, because the machine was made by IBM for Atari in America.

The Jaguar is totally region free and nearly all games are PAL optimised so will use the extra lines when played on a PAL Jaguar.

One of the few systems, if not the only one, where there is pretty much no advantage to having a NTSC system.

There is just one game that doesn't work on a PAL Jaguar, which is Dragon's Lair on CD. That crashes at random but is censored anyway.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed May 15, 2013 6:09 am

Just had a look at my box out of interest and I can't see an American flag on it. It just has the 'Atari - Made in the USA' bit at the top left. Is the flag a sticker or something?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed May 15, 2013 6:41 am

Megamixer wrote:Just had a look at my box out of interest and I can't see an American flag on it. It just has the 'Atari - Made in the USA' bit at the top left. Is the flag a sticker or something?
Yes it was on some, so it might be missing from your box. On my box its pretty small and in the top left corner with an Atari logo but I have also seen a big one with "Made in the USA" in the top right.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed May 15, 2013 6:47 am

The Laird wrote:
Megamixer wrote:Just had a look at my box out of interest and I can't see an American flag on it. It just has the 'Atari - Made in the USA' bit at the top left. Is the flag a sticker or something?
Yes it was on some, so it might be missing from your box. On my box its pretty small and in the top left corner with an Atari logo but I have also seen a big one with "Made in the USA" in the top right.
Ah right. Mine has a triangular Cybermorph sticker in the top right so probably just different variations of boxes as you say.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed May 15, 2013 8:03 am

Megamixer wrote:
The Laird wrote:
Ah right. Mine has a triangular Cybermorph sticker in the top right so probably just different variations of boxes as you say.
My PAL Jag's box matches the description of yours. I've seen the boxes with the USA flag on though. There were also other box variations such as this one:

Then there was also the rare (and now damn expensive to source) Japanese release:

Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

tux

Post by tux » Wed May 15, 2013 8:57 am

Cheers again for all the replies.
Its been bought now(by me :) )
It was in a huge bundle and the seller knew zero about games/consoles so getting info from him was boarderline pointless.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed May 15, 2013 9:06 am

tux wrote:Cheers again for all the replies.
Its been bought now(by me :) )
It was in a huge bundle and the seller knew zero about games/consoles so getting info from him was boarderline pointless.
Nice to see another Jag owner here :D

If you need any help/advice/information about the Jag please don't hesitate to ask 8)

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Wed May 15, 2013 9:24 am

If there is not one with it, I cannot recommend strongly enough getting a scart cable, the RF picture is incredibly bad, it just looks perfect in RGB though.