ESPN's Top 25 sports games of all time

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

pratty

ESPN's Top 25 sports games of all time

Post by pratty » Sat May 11, 2013 9:12 am

Here's a new list to tear apart. :lol:

25. Bases Loaded
24. NFL Street
23. Ice Hockey
22. "Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12: The Masters"
21. Bulls vs. Blazers and the NBA Playoffs
20. NBA Live 2005
19. SSX
18. MLB 13: The Show
17. NCAA Football 2004
16. College Hoops 2K8
15. RBI Baseball
14. FIFA Soccer 10
13. NFL Blitz
12. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
11. NBA 2K11
10. Madden NFL 2005
9. NBA Jam
8. ESPN NFL 2K5
7. Baseball Stars
6. NBA Street Vol. 2
5. WWF No Mercy
4. MVP Baseball 2005
3. Mike Tyson's Punch Out!!
2. NHL 94
1. Tecmo Super Bowl

http://espn.go.com/espn/playbook/story/ ... -games-all
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9253942

Understandably a of bit of an American slant, so no Sensi :( , but I'm very pleased to see WWF No Mercy so high on the list. :D Not a tennis game in sight though. :|

So what other games are worthy of such a list?

Sensi, Athlete Kings, Speedball 2, Mario Tennis and Pro Evo all immediately spring to my mind.

Anybody care to offer their top ten?
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Joey

Re: ESPN's Top 25 sports games of all time

Post by Joey » Sat May 11, 2013 1:29 pm

NHL 94 and NBA Jam deservedly in that list, though I would put them 1st and 2nd respectively :wink:

I would add FIFA 98: Road to World Cup (PS1) too.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sat May 11, 2013 2:50 pm

I'd think that Match Point, Leaderboard Golf, Football Manager, and Wii Sports Resort should be in there.

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Sat May 11, 2013 4:32 pm

Joey wrote:I would add FIFA 98: Road to World Cup (PS1) too.
Well said that man. One of the best football games ever. Good enough as it was, but the 5 a side mode added so much more to the game. Me and my mate racked up literally hundreds of matches on that. Plus it's got the infamous "L1 tackle" as we called it.

I haven't played a fair whack of those games, can't get my head round American Football, tried when I was a kid with a couple of MD Madden games but gave up. Far too tedious.

Raised a smile with the developer comments on WWF No Mercy saying how they're asked a lot why they don't make games like that now instead of the way they play now. Think modern WWE games are presented in a fantastic way, you really feel like its an episode of Raw, but the gameplay is the same stiff, clunky thing every time. Fur coat and no knickers you would say.

I'd like to see

Activisions Ice Hockey (2600)
International Superstar Soccer (SNES)
Blades Of Steel (Game Boy)
UFC Undisputed 3 (360)
Fight Night Round 4 (360)

And where is Skate? People are quick to judge EA these days but with Skate they redefined how Skateboarding games should be done. The main reason I went current gen was when the first skate came out. Clocked up over 300 hours on the 3 skate games.

pratty

Post by pratty » Sat May 11, 2013 5:00 pm

STranger81 wrote:Raised a smile with the developer comments on WWF No Mercy saying how they're asked a lot why they don't make games like that now instead of the way they play now. Think modern WWE games are presented in a fantastic way, you really feel like its an episode of Raw, but the gameplay is the same stiff, clunky thing every time. Fur coat and no knickers you would say.
I agree, I don't think the gameplay of the modern games is too bad, but I think the AKI gameplay is still better. I appreciate what the dev is saying, the games have come a long way and overall offer a lot more and are in many ways more sophisticated, but I think when fans want to see the No Mercy style retun they just want that gameplay back, they don't want to lose all the cool additions and features, I don't see why they can't do a No Mercy style game and include stuff like arguing with the ref other little touches they've added to the games over the years.

And I do actually think there are ways the AKI system could still be improved, such as more ground attacks per grounded position, doing the same armbar over and over again gets a bit boring.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat May 11, 2013 5:58 pm

Yeah go on, let's do our own ones:

01-SSX3 [Game Cube] - Whether it's realistic or not, I don't care (no-one could REALLY do stuff like that, could they??). Must've put hundreds of hours into this one over the years, and own it on Game Cube, PS2, Xbox and Gizmondo. It's as if this game and the Game Cube's pad were designed for each other.

02-Warlords [Atari 2600] - It's just fancy Pong, really - and that's just fancy tennis, so this counts.

03-Neo Geo Cup '98 Plus Color [Neo Geo Pocket Color] - Another one that's had hours and hours put into it. Used to take it to school as well, and everyone would want a go - mostly because they'd never seen an NGPC before, but still. Cameroon's my team of choice in this one.

04-Pong [Pong machines and so on] - Again, it's fancy tennis, and it's too much fun with a human opponent, so it counts.

05-Super Dodge Ball Advance [GBA] - The first GBA game I ever played, and now probably the one I've played second-most after Pinball Challenge Deluxe. Dodgeball's a weird enough game as it is without all the ghosts and special effects that this one throws around.

06-California Games [Lynx] - I could play the surfing game on this all day if I could - as it is, it's just until the batteries run out.

07-720° [ZX Spectrum] - Again, another that's had too many hours put into it to not love. Killer bees as well!

08-Virtua Tennis 2 [Dreamcast] - Never played this in single player, but in doubles it's too good. We found a machine in Blackpool and the joystick wouldn't move to the right, and it STILL gave us a good game.

09-Neo Pocket Tennis [Neo Geo Pocket Color] - Always addictive, tennis games - and this one lets you play as a sentient blob of slime.

10-FIFA: Road to World Cup '98 [PlayStation] - Agreeing with folk here, there'll never be a better FIFA game than this one. Having Song 2 play over the titles always helps as well.

If I was allowed more than ten games, World Cup Italia '90 for the Mega Drive and Nintendo World Cup for the NES would both be there too, but there you go.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

pratty

Post by pratty » Sat May 11, 2013 6:08 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:If I was allowed more than ten games, World Cup Italia '90 for the Mega Drive and Nintendo World Cup for the NES would both be there too, but there you go.
Have as many as you want mate, I only suggested 10 cus 25 sounded a bit much, have 100 if you like! :D

Yeah I remember having a lot of multiplayer fun with the Virtual Tennis games.

Syntesis

Post by Syntesis » Sat May 11, 2013 6:21 pm

1. Virtua Tennis 2 (DC)
2. Windjammers (NG)
3. Beach Spikers (GC)
4. Mario Golf (GC)
5. Neo Pocket Tennis (NGPC)
6. Winning Eleven 6 FE (PS2)
7. Street Hoop (NG)
8. NBA Jam TE (SNES)
9. 1080 (N64)
10. Mario Tennis (GBA)

Yep, I can't be bothered with sims!

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Sat May 11, 2013 9:15 pm

ooh, top 10 sports games now!

1: Virtua Tennis 2 (Dreamcast) - no tennis game has drastically beaten it quite yet.
2: California Games (Master system) - possibly not the best version (it was a toss up between this and the Lynx), but most played SMS game
3: Winter Games (Atari 7800) - always liked the 7800 version better than any others...except for..
4: Winter Games (Atari 2600) - by far and away the most impressive game I've ever played on the console. It's also fantastic.
5: Ski Racing 2006 (Xbox) - It's criminal that this game will never get the attention it deserves. Still one of my all time favourites.
6: Football Manager 2009 (PC) - Possibly could pick any from the series...
7: Brian Lara Cricket 96 (Mega Drive) - still the best cricket game ever.
8: Rallisport Challenge 2 (Xbox) - If i could play just one genre of games for life, it would be racing sports games. Rallisport Challenge 2 out-codemasters codemasters and is still an amazing game
9: NBA JAM TE (Mega Drive) - As fun now as t's always been..
10: NBA 2k2 (Dreamcast) - I've been playing this a lot recently...fantastic game, ot aged badly at all and plays wonderfully.

Original list is very US centric as to be expected, it's not bad though - I do like the occasional Baseball game. Tony Hawks I wouldn't consider a sports game though, otherwise Tony Hawks 3 would be on my list too.

pratty

Post by pratty » Sun May 12, 2013 5:42 am

Syntesis wrote:Yep, I can't be bothered with sims!
I'd seriously be very tempted to include Super Monkey Ball 2 in my top ten for the sporty minigames.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Mon May 13, 2013 4:22 am

These are my most played.

1. Sensi
2. NHL 2007 (PSP)
3. Wii Motion Sports Resort - especially table tennis (Wii)
4. Super Family Tennis (SNES)
5. Championship Manager 97/98 (PC)
6. World Snooker Championship (PSP)
7. Olympic Soccer - oh yeah! (PS)
8. PES (whatever the first one was on PS2)
9. NHL 2004 (Gamecube)
10. Football Manager (Speccy)

I never had an Amiga so no kick off 2.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Mon May 13, 2013 6:29 am

Joey wrote:
I would add FIFA 98: Road to World Cup (PS1) too.
Used to go back and forth between RTWC and World Cup '98 as they were both different but both also really really good!!
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Mon May 13, 2013 7:02 am

WWF No Mercy? fail. There is only WWF game and that's Wrestlefest which should a) be on that list and B) be at the top of it.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon May 13, 2013 7:05 am

Dont think there should be any wrestling games on it (Unless its Olympics type wrestling), its a sports list !

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Mon May 13, 2013 1:21 pm

The list does not feature Everybody's Golf therefore the list sucks.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.