RetroN 5 Thoughts

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

crusto

Re: RetroN 5 Thoughts

Post by crusto » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:39 pm

No issues here MPM.

Merry crimbles.

Eat your nans pants

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:01 pm

markopoloman wrote:Whatever the issue is between you guys, can we move on now and chat about the RetroN 5. Modding is for life - not for Christmas :lol:
or unless the form gets shutdown............

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:16 am

andyfunstock wrote:
Couldn't agree more mate. Especially un-biased opinions. There's a lot of people out there who say they are un-biased and hide behind this to rubbish products. It does work both ways and it's usually blatant. Thankfully this obviously isn't the case for reputable sites/journalists.

In terms of R5 pricing - we're working on it. We are meeting with Hyperkin at CES in January and will hopefully be able to put something together on a larger scale to address this. We've sold through every single unit we've had in stock so far (AND THAT'S A LOT). So in terms of sales, it's going really well. But I think a slightly lower price point would help open it up wider. I don't agree this is sub £100 though. I think £100 is the lowest it could ever be. When you look at the similar products out there - Retro Trio for example, that sits between £60-£80 and the R5 is a significantly better device.

The NGX is probably at the lowest price it will ever be at the moment. We've sold out of most of the worlds stock (they're selling amazingly well despite the mixed reviews). I think what will happen is we will sell through the bulk of the remainder of the stock this year, then 2015 will see the last ever units go at more or less full SRP. But don't quote me on that, as you never know...[/quote]

I honestly would have been very interested in the RetroN if I still had all my old cart collection! I can see how cool it would be to have an all in one to sit under the TV to save the plug and unplug hassle. A little cheaper and the ones umming about it would probably got for it.
The NGX I still watch with interest, it's the only way I'd get a Neo geo equiv! I have to take into account freight down to NZ so a low pricepoint is a prerequisite :)

crusto

Post by crusto » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:45 pm

stvd wrote:
crusto wrote: Most people who do this normally get warned, strange that you haven't tbh.
Yeah, weird that! :?
You're right, very weird. But I'm sure it has nothing to do with the Retron 5 ad, which appears in RG 137 (first page). Nothing at all.

Eat your nans pants

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:48 pm

It's too late at night for conspiracies.
I'll re read the rules again when I'm actually not on holiday, but I'm sure they refer to having two accounts running at the same and using them simultaneously. Like when people use a second account to bolster their own viewpoint. If it isn't then it will be sorted out when I am back at work.
I'd concede the promoting products angle if he was setting up his own threads to hawk wares which most new members do, but that doesn't seem to be the case either.
Merry Xmas and I'll see you on the 5th of January.

crusto

Post by crusto » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:35 pm

Hardly a conspiracy Darran, it's just how it looks.

Personally, I don't give a rats ass what Andy says on here be honest. As it has no bearing on my opinions of the product, or influences whether I buy it or not. But I've seen people warned for far less on here over the years. I just would like to think every forum member gets treated the same.

Eat your nans pants

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:47 am

I would like one and think its a great idea, but my concern like a lot of other peoples is it's build quality. If it's not going to last as long as my original snes and megadrive then that a shame and just has to be taken into consideration.

Regarding people who want it cheaper. Would making it cheaper harm what build quality it has worse? We don't know what profit they make on them but I would rather pay a couple of quid more for something to be built like a tank and not break upon putting a cartridge in it.

Frankly too many items are built cheap and cheerful these days and break way earlier than they should.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:56 am

^Considering the price point was going to be £100, then it went up 30 due to hardware costs, then it shot up to below 200 for no reason

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:09 am

crusto wrote:Hardly a conspiracy Darran, it's just how it looks.

Personally, I don't give a rats ass what Andy says on here be honest. As it has no bearing on my opinions of the product, or influences whether I buy it or not. But I've seen people warned for far less on here over the years. I just would like to think every forum member gets treated the same.
And if he's broken any rules he will be. Answering questions about a product he sells however doesn't appear to be in violation of any rules. Normally people come on here and their first post it to tell everyone about their new product. He hasn't appeared to have done that.

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:31 am

Id like to build the world a home.... and furnish it with loveeeee (just sayin) :D
Bring on retron 5 !!!
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:09 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
crusto wrote:Hardly a conspiracy Darran, it's just how it looks.

And if he's broken any rules he will be. Answering questions about a product he sells however doesn't appear to be in violation of any rules. Normally people come on here and their first post it to tell everyone about their new product. He hasn't appeared to have done that.
Fair enough, look at it that way if you like. But we both know the goal is the same though, to increase sales. This is made more obvious as theres zero contribution anywhere else. If all members posted this way the forum would resemble a morgue.

Like I said though, it's no skin off my nose anyway. I'm not bothered what gets or what doesn't get done about it. Just pointing out how it appears.

Eat your nans pants

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:42 pm

This is nowt but a bull dust witch hunt. All the guy has done is answer genuine questions about the stock status of the Retron unit during the months leading up to x-mas, then he was answering the genuine questions and concerns of potential customers like myself then he was verbally affronted by certain members of our friendly little community to which his responses were measured and unconfrontational. Read the thread, Darran.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:07 pm

^ I ain't hunting anybody Gman, that would be silly, I have nothing against Andy at all. The fact is that matter how good his conduct is his ultimate aim is to sell stuff. How is it not?

I've no wish to discuss it more to be honest, because again that is plain silly. We all have wildly different opinions on it. And none of it is important enough to split hairs over.

Eat your nans pants

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:31 pm

gman72 wrote:This is nowt but a bull dust witch hunt. All the guy has done is answer genuine questions about the stock status of the Retron unit during the months leading up to x-mas, then he was answering the genuine questions and concerns of potential customers like myself then he was verbally affronted by certain members of our friendly little community to which his responses were measured and unconfrontational. Read the thread, Darran.
Unfortunately, in another thread about an earlier product the person in question very much didn't answer the genuine questions and concerns of customers and was actually fronting a company that had a penchant for planting fake reviews for its entirely pisspoor piece of kit. :shock:

Some expression of mistrust from certain members of our friendly community is to be expected I'd say. And such things wouldn't be totally misplaced.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:23 pm

The Beans wrote:
gman72 wrote:This is nowt but a bull dust witch hunt. All the guy has done is answer genuine questions about the stock status of the Retron unit during the months leading up to x-mas, then he was answering the genuine questions and concerns of potential customers like myself then he was verbally affronted by certain members of our friendly little community to which his responses were measured and unconfrontational. Read the thread, Darran.
Unfortunately, in another thread about an earlier product the person in question very much didn't answer the genuine questions and concerns of customers and was actually fronting a company that had a penchant for planting fake reviews for its entirely pisspoor piece of kit. :shock:

Some expression of mistrust from certain members of our friendly community is to be expected I'd say. And such things wouldn't be totally misplaced.
I see.
I was not involved nor aware of any previous threads and am basing my opinions solely on this thread in which the users conduct has been exemplary.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD