RetroN 5 Thoughts

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Timothy Lumsden

Re: RetroN 5 Thoughts

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:27 pm

been stung by overhyped modern retro consoles - but this one sounds fantastic. If it's reasonably priced, works as promised and you can actually get hold of one, then i'd give it a go

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:51 am

Well, just over 3 weeks to go. Looking forward to this but I have a horrible feeling that its all going to go wrong and its going to either miss the release date or just fall apart all together.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:11 pm

Ive gone to "Meh" status, apparently Everdrives wont work with them. (Kkrizz said him self that they might not)

Also the price is kinda putting me off

Alarm

Post by Alarm » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:51 pm

I've got a feeling that it might just be a box with Android emulators and all of the ROMs of the commercial releases for all the consoles. You stick a cart in, it checksums it to find out which ROM to launch and you play the game.

I hope I'm incorrect, though. If it does the above it is pretty much worthless to me.

Ninereeds

Post by Ninereeds » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:46 pm

from one of their recent posts on facebook (hyperkin) they stated there was not much memory in the system, so it does not have any preloaded roms and reads the game directly from the carts

from their fb reply
Thank you for your interest in the RetroN 5 system. At this time, we can only partially answer your questions.
We cannot provide full details before the commercial launch because Hyperkin does have competitors and we have no intention of leaving clues for how to develop a rival system. For now we will just emphasis that a ROM based system has no place in our retro-gaming hearts. The RetroN 5 definitely plays actual cartridges.
Also, the onboard memory size is far below a single gigabyte. That should give you some reassurance that we are not pre-loading ROM data onto the system.

Sincerely,
Hyperkin Media

crotea

Post by crotea » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:17 am

I think that if the emulation is good this will be awesome! 5 consoles all in one, better for price and easier to set up, I'll be getting one!

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:51 am

Alarm wrote:I've got a feeling that it might just be a box with Android emulators and all of the ROMs of the commercial releases for all the consoles. You stick a cart in, it checksums it to find out which ROM to launch and you play the game.

I hope I'm incorrect, though. If it does the above it is pretty much worthless to me.
It uses Android emulation but it is meant to only use real carts. Everdrive could be used perhaps, not sure though. Android emulation on my Galaxy S2 is excellent, runs very well. The benefit of this for me is the feel of using a real machine and using real pads. Plus for most people, you can have one box under your TV that plays almost everything from Sega/Nintendo and should look good on a HDTV. Really looking forward to seeing how it pans out.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

n1nty

Post by n1nty » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:09 pm

My original xbox does that and more, and cheaper :D

davyK

Post by davyK » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:02 pm

n1nty wrote:My original xbox does that and more, and cheaper :D

How do you plug a SNES controller into an oldbox? Using the original controllers in an integral part of the experience.

I'm quite keen on this product and am in the hopeful camp. When I use emulation I always feel the experience is cheapened somewhat. My first positive experience (after getting over the sheer awesomeness of the early MAME releases) was NESTER on the Dreamcast - playing on an actual console really helps - oldbox emu is great - but the next step on is being able to use the controllers.

Dreamer

Post by Dreamer » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:31 am

I'm guessing that it will suffer from poor emulation, like the other gazzilion devices like it.

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:59 am

davyK wrote:

How do you plug a SNES controller into an oldbox? Using the original controllers in an integral part of the experience.

I'm quite keen on this product and am in the hopeful camp. When I use emulation I always feel the experience is cheapened somewhat. My first positive experience (after getting over the sheer awesomeness of the early MAME releases) was NESTER on the Dreamcast - playing on an actual console really helps - oldbox emu is great - but the next step on is being able to use the controllers.
He's right.
I think it looks good on paper but as others have said I can see it being a bit crap, I was seriously thinking of getting one but since it uses emulation it just seems a bit pointless, a modified Wii will do a much better job than this thing, and you can use original SMS/MD/NES/SNES controllers with it using a cheap adaptor that costs £5-£10 8)
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:54 am

Xbox emulation is terrible.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

retrosofer

Post by retrosofer » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:40 am

nakamura wrote:
Xbox emulation is terrible said no one in the history of the world ever!
:lol:

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:08 am

retrosofer wrote:
nakamura wrote:
Xbox emulation is terrible said no one in the history of the world ever!
:lol:
Haha I know. I'm sorry Naka, but what the hell are you smoking

Analog

Post by Analog » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:11 pm

Mootown wrote:
Black Ridge wrote:
Strange comparison pic as the SNES one is better - ie correct size, obviously the 60hz version, whereas the other image is nicer quality, it's a little squashed fat Ken...
yea I was a bit perplexed by that image. it doesn't necessarily mean better if it adds in distortion through squashed visuals. if it does what the old consoles do and better then it can win over more takers.

this guy puts forward a pretty good case for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5O0mkHe-zHI

of course, it might not turn out to be as good as expected.