RetroN 5 Thoughts

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

RichL
Posts: 678
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:03 pm

Re: RetroN 5 Thoughts

Post by RichL » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:27 pm

andyfunstock wrote:
RichL wrote:Say if you had a bunch of ROMs on a memory card could you just plug in said card and they will work?

Not that I have such a thing, purely for research I ask.
Not yet. I've heard rumblings that people are working on it, but from what I've seen so far there's nothing as simple as that yet.
Ah okay, thank you.

User avatar
thingonaspring
Posts: 1890
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:43 pm
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: RetroN 5 Thoughts

Post by thingonaspring » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:38 pm

thingonaspring wrote:Do you get anything else extra with the "bundle" or is it just 1p more expensive than buying the console and an extra controller separate?
Genuine query by the way, I'm considering buying one.

User avatar
andyfunstock
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:33 pm

Re: RetroN 5 Thoughts

Post by andyfunstock » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:27 pm

thingonaspring wrote:
thingonaspring wrote:Do you get anything else extra with the "bundle" or is it just 1p more expensive than buying the console and an extra controller separate?
Genuine query by the way, I'm considering buying one.
There's nothing extra no - good old "retail" pricing.
General Manager at http://www.funstock.co.uk

User avatar
BennyTheGreek
Posts: 2256
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:01 pm
Location: you dont care

Re: RetroN 5 Thoughts

Post by BennyTheGreek » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:10 pm

for what its worth - I bought mine from Funstock and had excellent service

Absolutely loving it....

The visual and audio quality for me are brilliant.

The joypad is ok, not great, just ok....

wish it didnt click as much, but it seems responsive enough....

lovely looking bit of kit...

User avatar
rocky1980
Posts: 3303
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:24 pm
Location: Bonnie Scotland

Re: RetroN 5 Thoughts

Post by rocky1980 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:28 pm

I am still going to do a YT review vid on mine. I have finally got IPS patching to work, and yes I have gotten it to play ROMS. However if you want a ROM machine just get an Ouya, or something similar. So far I have found 3 games from my colleciton that do not work, which is not bad
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

User avatar
andyfunstock
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:33 pm

Re: RetroN 5 Thoughts

Post by andyfunstock » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:59 pm

rocky1980 wrote:I am still going to do a YT review vid on mine. I have finally got IPS patching to work, and yes I have gotten it to play ROMS. However if you want a ROM machine just get an Ouya, or something similar. So far I have found 3 games from my colleciton that do not work, which is not bad
The Ouya is terrible. There's a lot better Android based systems out there (I have the Mad Catz MOJO as my "console" based Android system for example).

Which games can't you get to work?
General Manager at http://www.funstock.co.uk

User avatar
thingonaspring
Posts: 1890
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:43 pm
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: RetroN 5 Thoughts

Post by thingonaspring » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:05 pm

well, the double controller pack i queried the price on, has some money off, and is down to £149.99 at the moment. coupled with a code from instagram, i ordered one for £142.49 over the weekend. both colours said (and still say) they are in stock, but have had a mail saying it;s out of stock, on back order. :?

"All ‘In-Stock’ items shipped within 1 working day!"

"The item you have ordered is a “back order” item. This means that this item is not currently in stock at our warehouse and we are awaiting new stock from our supplier. What this does mean is that it is an item we have stocked previously and it is an item we are re-ordering, so it’s a good product!"

User avatar
flying_delorean81
Posts: 1051
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:18 pm
Location: Hill Valley

Re: RetroN 5 Thoughts

Post by flying_delorean81 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:45 pm

andyfunstock wrote:The Ouya is terrible. There's a lot better Android based systems out there (I have the Mad Catz MOJO as my "console" based Android system for example).

Which games can't you get to work?
I disagree about the Ouya. I've got one and have never had a problem with running emulators. It's compatible with PS3 controllers too, and is £40 cheaper than the MOJO, so I can't see why someone would go for the more expensive option if they just wanted to play ROMs.
My Instagram: @caveofpixels
My Facebook: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My Tumblr: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My DeviantART page: caveofpixels.deviantart.com

User avatar
andyfunstock
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:33 pm

Re: RetroN 5 Thoughts

Post by andyfunstock » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:13 pm

thingonaspring wrote:well, the double controller pack i queried the price on, has some money off, and is down to £149.99 at the moment. coupled with a code from instagram, i ordered one for £142.49 over the weekend. both colours said (and still say) they are in stock, but have had a mail saying it;s out of stock, on back order. :?

"All ‘In-Stock’ items shipped within 1 working day!"

"The item you have ordered is a “back order” item. This means that this item is not currently in stock at our warehouse and we are awaiting new stock from our supplier. What this does mean is that it is an item we have stocked previously and it is an item we are re-ordering, so it’s a good product!"
Has this shipped now mate? - they're definitely in-stock.
General Manager at http://www.funstock.co.uk

User avatar
andyfunstock
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:33 pm

Re: RetroN 5 Thoughts

Post by andyfunstock » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:14 pm

flying_delorean81 wrote:
andyfunstock wrote:The Ouya is terrible. There's a lot better Android based systems out there (I have the Mad Catz MOJO as my "console" based Android system for example).

Which games can't you get to work?
I disagree about the Ouya. I've got one and have never had a problem with running emulators. It's compatible with PS3 controllers too, and is £40 cheaper than the MOJO, so I can't see why someone would go for the more expensive option if they just wanted to play ROMs.
I tried the Ouya for a few hours but definitely wouldn't say it was in the same realm as the MOJO, have you tried both?

I don't disagree it's a decent piece of kit though. But it's not a shard on the MOJO.
General Manager at http://www.funstock.co.uk

pomegran
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:31 pm

Re: RetroN 5 Thoughts

Post by pomegran » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:27 am

flying_delorean81 wrote:
andyfunstock wrote:The Ouya is terrible. There's a lot better Android based systems out there (I have the Mad Catz MOJO as my "console" based Android system for example).

Which games can't you get to work?
I disagree about the Ouya. I've got one and have never had a problem with running emulators. It's compatible with PS3 controllers too, and is £40 cheaper than the MOJO, so I can't see why someone would go for the more expensive option if they just wanted to play ROMs.
I agree with this 100% as I have an Ouya and converted some people over on the retroasylum forum. Here's why it's a great emulation option:

- Uses PS3 joypads (standard ones are meh)
- Has loads of emulators, especially the Robert Broglia .emu emulators (all for free, not like standard Android)
- Emulates pretty much everything at full speed
- All games works with standard joypads out of the box - no messing around with overlays, configurations etc. The joys of knowing you have a joypad by default!
- Small and sits behind my TV
- Can also run XBMC/Kodi

It's pretty lovely as a piece of kit in my opinion. Could do with better pads out the box (they're laggy, hence using PS3 pads) but mine has been fantastic.

Take a look on the thread. However I would say a better pad and more power would make it the ultimate emulator machine.

http://retroasylum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2406

User avatar
thingonaspring
Posts: 1890
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:43 pm
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: RetroN 5 Thoughts

Post by thingonaspring » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:26 pm

Yep, all delivered, thank you 8)
Not actually had chance to play it yet though :lol: :oops:

AceGrace
Posts: 1357
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:51 pm
Location: West Sussex
Contact:

Re: RetroN 5 Thoughts

Post by AceGrace » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:54 pm

andyfunstock wrote:
rocky1980 wrote:I am still going to do a YT review vid on mine. I have finally got IPS patching to work, and yes I have gotten it to play ROMS. However if you want a ROM machine just get an Ouya, or something similar. So far I have found 3 games from my colleciton that do not work, which is not bad
The Ouya is terrible. There's a lot better Android based systems out there (I have the Mad Catz MOJO as my "console" based Android system for example).

Which games can't you get to work?
Same here.

I have an Ouya but the MOJO is far better. It can access the Ouya store and the Play store as well. Best of both worlds.

User avatar
Black Ridge
Posts: 1943
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:36 pm

Re: RetroN 5 Thoughts

Post by Black Ridge » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:37 am

Chuffed about the latest update that allows patches to be added to games. All those RPGs that are unplayable can now have English Language patches added to them! Great considering how cheap a lot of SFC RPG carts are in comparison to PAL/NTSC versions

Ninereeds
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:35 pm

Re: RetroN 5 Thoughts

Post by Ninereeds » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:33 pm

agreed, got copies of mystic ark, elnard, silva saga 2, dragon quest 5 and 6 and others for super famicom, and recently beat breath of fire 2 on the retron

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests