RetroN 5 Thoughts

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Darran@Retro Gamer

RetroN 5 Thoughts

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri May 10, 2013 8:53 am

So the RetroN 5 sounds promising but will it be too good to be true? Why is there no Master System support and will you use it in place of the many consoles it can currently emulate? I certainly like the idea of having one unit sitting under my TV that plays all my games, but only if the emulation is up to scratch. We are interviewing the developers for the next issue, so I'd love to hear your thoughts on this machine, and others that have been announced. The HDMI is a big plus for me at the moment, but it's only going to impress if the resolution is up to scratch, if the Neo Geo X has taught me one thing it's that a HDMI port isn't a sign of good picture quality.

batman877

Re: RetroN 5 Thoughts

Post by batman877 » Fri May 10, 2013 9:27 am

More information for those who haven't heard about it: http://www.joystiq.com/2013/04/04/retro ... d-and-new/

I like the idea of HDMI support but like Darren says it may not work like it should. Upscaling retro software for HDTVs has been a pain in my side for a while now.

The lack of Master System and N64 support is disappointing for me.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri May 10, 2013 10:51 am

It's an interesting idea but I would much rather own the original hardware.

Also the emulation on the previous RetroN machines was woeful so this will have to be a very big improvement on them if it's going to be taken seriously by real retro fans.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Fri May 10, 2013 11:46 am

As I'm too much of a purist, this sort of thing doesn't interest me in the slightest. Although I may get it for my nephews to experience my childhood games without having to move the original hardware all over the place.

Syntesis

Post by Syntesis » Fri May 10, 2013 1:32 pm

Real Mega Drive, SNES and NES systems are super cheap, common and reliable.

If I want to emulate I can use my computer, Wii, Xbox, PSP etc. I don't need an after-market product to do that.

This thing tries to straddle the line between real hardware and emulation but it kind of sucks at being both these things. It might appeal to people who collect real games and want to save a bit of space under the TV but if you really care about those formats enough to collect for them, only the real hardware is acceptable.

Just my 2p...

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Fri May 10, 2013 1:36 pm

Id be interested to get one as long as the emulation is half decent just for the convenience. Being able to play that many different carts through one plug socket in HDMI is very tempting.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

themightymartin

Post by themightymartin » Fri May 10, 2013 1:50 pm

I had a go on a Retron 3 a while back. Whilst not perfect, the emulation was perfectly adequate. I for one will definitely be considering getting the Retron 5.
Xbox Live\Steam: themightymartin
3DS Friend Code: 5000-3656-8384
Zazzle Store: YonDer Designs

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri May 10, 2013 5:32 pm

Doesn't everyone have a PC under their telly already?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri May 10, 2013 6:35 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Doesn't everyone have a PC under their telly already?
Some do, but this is potentially a far better alternative, if it's up to scratch of course.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri May 10, 2013 6:46 pm

It's caught between the two types of gamers. Those who insist on the real thing, and will therefore continue to use the offifical console, and those who are happy to emulate and therefore don't have and/or aren't prepared to pay for cartridges. I do think the omission of N64 is a shame.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Fri May 10, 2013 7:00 pm

never heard of it.

just had a look on a few sites and its safe to say it will be an epic fail and die on its ar5e in the not too distant future.

RUOK

Post by RUOK » Fri May 10, 2013 7:06 pm

I can see it's uses for those already with a large collection of carts, it means one TV connection and one plug, perhaps a good thing for the living room?

Conversely, it might be an easier way for gamers to get into collecting as they only have to source the carts and not all the hardware. Buying those consoles individually would cost a bomb.

The HDMI only output is a let down for me, these games are not designed for HD televisions

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri May 10, 2013 7:48 pm

RUOK wrote:The HDMI only output is a let down for me, these games are not designed for HD televisions
Well that's thrown out any desire I might've ever had for the thing!
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

jimmyjimjim

Post by jimmyjimjim » Fri May 10, 2013 8:17 pm

Seems interesting but not sure if I'd want one under the TV in the front room. I can imagine it looking kind of cheap and I don't think the multitude of cartridge and controller slots would make it the most attractive looking of devices. But, if the price is right and the emulation is good, then I can see myself getting one for the bedroom. Problem is, I only really have Mega Drive and Master System games on cartridge at the moment. If I had one of these, I know I will end up picking up random cartridges for other consoles from my local retro gaming emporium when I pass it each evening. Don't think the wife would be too pleased if I kept coming home with plastic bags full of old carts. She'd probably be even less impressed if I'm playing them in bed.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri May 10, 2013 8:25 pm

RUOK wrote:
The HDMI only output is a let down for me, these games are not designed for HD televisions
Well snes games look incredible on the wii u and thats hdmi.